Author Topic: The Western Girl (relief sculpture)  (Read 3235 times)

Glen

• Associate
Re: The Western Girl (relief sculpture)
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
Hmm... great minds think alike!  :o

I use the stainless steel carving tools as well, along with shaped, sanded, and sealed toothpicks and bamboo skewers. Never thought to use a spoon - mainly due to size. I work in the 70 - 100mm range. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Glen

Rich Sculpts

• Associate
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
What do you use to 'polish' cold unbaked clay?

I use Stainless steel wax carving tools I got off of eBay (a very reasonable price for what they are), but basically any metallic object that has a polished surface will do, I've even used the back surface of a teaspoon before on larger areas  ;)

-Rich
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:45:00 AM by Rich Sculpts »

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
Thanks for the tip! Priming and sanding baked clay I get - like car bodies (see avatar). What do you use to 'polish' cold unbaked clay? That a new one on me. I read you blog from beginning to end but that wasn't mentioned. Unless I missed it...  :o

Glen

Rich Sculpts

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 12:48:23 AM »
How do you get it so smooth? Despite my best efforts, mine always has these undulations rippling across the piece. I have to resort to some sanding after baking, but it's still a bit inconsistent.

Glen - I have the same problems, filing and sanding is the only way to go after baking the clay. Another good way to smooth the clay is to put the unbaked sculpture in the fridge until its cold through (it hardens the clay you can then polish out the undulations), you only get a half hour of working time out of it but you can always put it back in the fridge for a while longer. For final finish I primer the sculpt and then sand back with fine grade wet and dry paper.

gerry Larkin

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
That's so true Rich!  :D  but again thanks 

Rich Sculpts

• Associate
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
Hi Gerry good to know it arrived so quickly considering the Christmas post!

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Just to show my aptitude to other languages, its also an Australian phrase! :)

Watcha mate, Glottis hot outside today, better put another shrimp on the Bar B   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »
Ah... I see it now. I did some photo mensuration. The source photo has more torso on the viewer's right vs the left and the shirt is fuller. If you follow the shirt's center placket, you can see that it trails down and to the viewer's left. The right shoulder is also lower than the one on the viewer's left. These contribute to the wider appearance in the source photo. Altering the torso angle and clothing changed things a bit.

It's a great sculpt. My efforts with Sculpy (III and Firm) have been so-so. How do you get it so smooth? Despite my best efforts, mine always has these undulations rippling across the piece. I have to resort to some sanding after baking, but it's still a bit inconsistent.

@Nick: a stonking description!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Glen

gerry Larkin

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  you fool!

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
I know Glottis, that's what you put on Strawberries!   Glottis cream ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gerry Larkin

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
From the word's  of the great  professor Stanley Unwin  -oh such deep joy from the throaty  Glottis  Nicholas!
for those that are not informed please google Stanley Unwin R.I.P ( sadly missed!!). but Indeed the bust is stonking  having just received it in the post today.  Thanks Rich for your Excellent service!

Hannibal

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 03:38:56 AM »
Very nice medaillon flat ! clean, very well sculpted.
It should please our overseas friends from the Far West flavour!
Rare and nice medaillon similar to the Mucha Jaroslava.

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
Hi Glen,   stonking mate!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, you asked for it, so here's the interesting bit ;D ;D ;D

In the English Oxford dictionary, the word is stonk, meaning a bombardment by Artillary. It can also mean  stoned/ sloshed or drunk.

The word stonking came about by a Journalist indulging in a little verbal slumming in the late 80s.

His  first reference was when he worked for The Economist magazine, with a saying ' The prime minister has a stonking lead '   meaning, large or impressive.

nowadays we usually use it in the phrase  ' that's a stonking idea '

With Rich's sculpt, I have used it to mean impressive. :)

For other useless facts or figures, send a self addressed envelope to:

Professor Nicholas Ball, useless from the neck up and slang department, somewhere in southern England  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rich Sculpts

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Hi Glen, I'm using a compact camera and the base the sculpt is on is a convexed (domed) surface, it fools the camera. I've had similar problems before with the Marie Tepe scupt were it widened the figure every time I tried to get a decent image. Also I've put the shoulders at an angle to promote depth, you will see that the arm to left if is shorter in width to the right. If you see the figure before the hair went on the shoulders you get a different perspective.

The image is partly based on this photo, measurements were taken from it and a new tighter costume sculpted.

Rich
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:48:05 PM by Rich Sculpts »

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
Nicely done! Great face, hair, and clothing details. Wish I could do this. I just can't seem to get the hang of it... The shoulders seem narrow - is this a fish-eye effect from the camera?

@Nick: stonking?

Cheers,

Glen