Author Topic: EuroMilitaire  (Read 1887 times)

Brian

Re: EuroMilitaire
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 05:35:36 AM »

It is a big shame but the way it works here is to blame.
In Europe a show is supported by the local council and not just with money, traders and modellers are given a warm welcome to come to their small part of the world and enjoy.
In the UK we have to pay and pay again for every thing we do, venue, tax, insurance and the guide lines we have to jump over would put anyone off.
When I was riding bikes I had a rally to go to every week!! now your lucky to get a party 4 times a year and all to do with cost.
The UK is a great place but don't expect to have something for nothing, you got to pay!!!!         

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
Very sad news. This show is on my bucket list, and so I guess this is one I won't make.

Unfortunately, this thing has happened before to other shows; and will probably happen again. Shows are fragile, temporary things;  and we ought not to assume that they will always be there for us. Go and enjoy them while you can!
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
There have been a lot of debates on forums about the cause, and Time Media have not really helped themselves by trying to explain it to anybody.

There were problems with volunteers, but as I heard it, the organiser's treated them rather badly last time round and this certainly didn't help.
There is debate on the costings of the Hall, figures were bantered around of £40,000 with insurance for the two days, with tables being sold to traders for £250 - £300+   per 6 foot.  However it has been discovered that the Model railway club that have the hall a few weeks later only ask for £9 a table!!!  so who is taking who to the cleaners, the owners of the hall or the organisers?

Folkestone council were asked to help, as it brings in revenue to the Hotels' Restaurants and their own car park, but they were not prepared to contribute, so who now are the main loser's?   

A shame really, a great show that was originally set up by Modellers  ( Ray Lamb of Poste Militaire and Lynn Sangster of Historex ) for modellers, has now ended under a dark cloud.

On a brighter note, the European shows are getting better and better.

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »
" Sic transit gloria mundi..."
Eric

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:51:57 AM »
 :-[ that is sad news. Willie

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »
Yes it was announced on Military Modelling's site.  Sad to see it go even if only from afar.

Mark  8)
Site Admin

EuroMilitaire
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »
I saw this going around the internet this evening. Can anyone confirm if it is true?

The 2016 EuroMilitaire show will be the last. Founded and organized since 1985 by a local group of modelling experts and enthusiasts in the Folkestone region and sponsored for the last ten years by My Time Media, the show is no longer sustainable for a variety of reasons not least the critical decrease in the numbers of the original local organizing team and its volunteers, but also a downward trend in both the numbers of visitors to the show and competition entries in recent years.
Thank You to everyone involved over the years.