Author Topic: Hurricane Challenge  (Read 2637 times)

alfsboy

Re: Hurricane Challenge
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:23 AM »
My neighbor's father was  a pilot in a Hurricane squadron in Russia .He hated it .Aside from problems with aircraft   the Russians were very unfriendly due mainly to the Soviets looking on all contact with foreigners as treachery .He lost his watch  and they tortured and shot his down trodden  Russian servant .The watch turned up weeks later in the aircraft .They didnt report any problems after that .He did enjoy the passion battalion though .Stunning girls in silk dresses and furs suddenly arrived at the base and  supplied  comfort to the RAF  and Russian officers.They disappeared  as quick as they arrived  contradicting the belief that all Russian women were  tractor drivers.
He didnt like the fact that his son was an avid collector of SS Totenkopfverband  uniforms etc and had contact with a number of ex concentration camp guards who he thought were great fellows.

Joerg

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:39:14 AM »
Thanks for clarification!

J.
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

Brian

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:09 AM »
Well!  we did send Hurricanes out to Russia, the fuel being used was to low on octane so the performance was under par, guns where to small for purpose, The design was a stop gap and one of the first mono wing fighters in the RAF in the mid 1930's, not developed as a attack aircraft but just defence and still used the cloth in construction like its bi-plan brothers.

The Me 109 was a superior aircraft with a lot of money behind it , guns the size to take out all that got in it's sights and fuel injection for the performance but was more complicated, Hurricane could be patched up and repaired in the filed  easier then most aircraft in service and sent back to fight.

It's the hurricane that won us the Battle Of Britain taking out the bombers and was a big help in the campaign in the desert in the early years of the war. 

Joerg

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:08 AM »
@Brian,
nothing is more far for me, than criticising,
but I recently came accross with a rating for Hurricane,
that I am interested in backing or rejecting from an expert

Out of the 711 fighter planes that had arrived in the USSR from the UK by the end of 1941, 700 were hopelessly antiquated models such as the Kittyhawk, Tomahawk, and Hurricane, which were significantly inferior to the German Messerschmitts and the Soviet Yakolev Yaks, both in speed and agility, and were not even equipped with guns. Even if a Soviet pilot managed to get a German flying ace positioned in the sights of his machine gun, those rifle-caliber guns were often completely useless against the German plane’s rugged armor.

What is to think about that?
Joerg
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

Brian

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
I'm sure Willie can use a spray gun when the boss is not looking and then well have a 1/1 figure to vote on  ;)

Mottled, stripes, triangles any thing you like your imagination is the limit  ;D   

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »
I could use a form of Blowgun ( straw!!)  but must remember not to suck!!! :o

bit splattery, is mottled effect allowed? :P :P :P

Was going to share the £10 with you Chris, but we seem to have been scuppered in this idea!!! 
:D ;D ;D

Chris Seeley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
Brian if you use a airgun you will shoot it down haha.
 ;D ;D ;D

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
Not a bad idea but planes are really not my cup of tea  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
eric

Brian

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
 airbrush !!! I can use a airgun  ;D

Two takers so far and they can not get the £10, their part of 2D :o 

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
An  Original idea, I'll have to give this a go.

Better  finish  the one that I'm half way through   ::)

( would have done so before, but someone called BRIAN said I had painted the wrong colours to the original, now he says they came in all the  colours of the Rainbow!!!!!--  I'm so confused!!!!  ;D  ;D ;D

Brian

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
On this challenge you can use any colours, red blue green yellow any way you like or in good old RAF colours it's up to you.
One thing, below the canopy you'll see I've a St George flag try and include your flag on the racer aircraft. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]      

Chris Seeley

• Global Moderator
Re: Hurrican Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
Well I will give it a go might try to airbrush one.

Re: Hurrican Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »
Brian great idea 8)  Sad I don't think my Boss would let me paint the big one at the museum :-\  Willie

Brian

Hurricane Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
As a change from the norm here's a challenge for you, 2D Figurines Dover 1940 figure don't just have to be military they were used as racers after the war.

So here's the task buy and paint the hurricane as a racer, post photos on forum and I will set up a voting poll and the winner will get a £10 off their next 2D purchase.

The figure is Dover 1940 edited by Locust Models, (which is our very own Ed, Chris, Roger and Nick) at £8 if purchased on it's own or £5 with a bigger order from 2D

This is just for fun so go on have a go [ Guests cannot view attachments ]        
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:40:16 PM by Brian »