Author Topic: Whats your cup a tea  (Read 2041 times)

Brian

Re: Whats your cup a tea
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 06:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies, me at the moment seems to be a bit mercenary with my painting, a new figure that 2D is to sell I'll have to give it a go just to make sure all is ok.

Do still lean towards 30mm and a bust or bigger now and then, but it's what catches my eye and the trouble is there's so many that I want to paint  ;)     

Hannibal

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:57:02 AM »
actually still improved, for presentation to Ransart !
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »
Elephants and the Indian Army. 54s and 30s started with them and still like them. Also like tea and Brandy and women ::)  Willie

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
very very nice. The shadow of her body on the upper part of her Tutu is superbly done.

give her my congratulations, a lovely piece of painting,

Nicholas

Hannibal

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
Nicholas, my wife painted another ballerina ...

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »
A nice English Breakfast or Assam Thanks!!!  hahaha

I prefer the larger 45mm or 54 mm. A good level of detail, that won't take ages to complete.

( OK  I get bored easily!!!  hahaha )  I must admit I do have trouble blending at a large scale.

although Grandpa's little Ballerina worked out well in the end, and I did enjoy doing it,it did have it's issues!!!!     yes  ME !!!!     hahaha

I like most subjects, except Napoleonic!!  although saying this I will paint them and it really does depend on the subject!!

My favorite are still the Flower Fairies, and interesting odd stuff. I am really looking forward to doing the Robin Hood painting Guide for the coming Journals

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
I like the big single pieces - 75mm and larger. The subject can be whatever strikes me - classical paintings, military subjects, glamor - whatever! Not particular about metal vs. resin, one side vs. two or most other "standards."
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

alfsboy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »
I like 30mm .As long as they are good quality, something that has stopped me buying in the past .i prefer medieval ,30 years war ,landsknechts but also Napoleonic though they take a while to finally finish all that lace .I am also into American model Railroads and rocking my socks off playing a guitar and trying to sing at regular jam sessions in a studio.

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
I seem to have a weakness for 30 mm as their is such range and variety.  I have a weakness for Ancient Egypt and Ancien France but, tend to look for great engravers - Frank/Mohr - over a specific time period.

I also have a number of 54mm flats but, seem to work through those very slowly and don't in general enjoy them as much.  Mike Taylor's Flower Fairies being a notable exception.

My tendency in recent years has been non-military after a youth full of Tamiya armored vechicles and Historex Napoleonics which is another reason I enjoy flats - the sheer variety of subject matter.

I still dabble very occaisionally in rounds and have a nice back log of them but, they are a departure for me these days.

Finally I have a notable collection of unbuilt WWI kits, mostly 1/48 scale which I truly mean to get back to one of these days.  The issue with kits is they take too long to build which means my attention tends to wander.

I have a vast empire of partially painted figures which periodically make it back into circulation.  Fortunately along with painting almost flats exclusively now, I also am much more prolific as well so have quite a bit to show for last year.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
I prefer 54mm and larger, full figure and busts, mainly medieval, but some Greek/Roman subjects as well. I also like pinup style girls. I also like the recently produced 45mm Napoleonic pinup girls now available on the 2D website. I am eagerly waiting for the next two. My 30mm pieces - two ACW, one TYW - have been limited to the BFFS traveling display. I find most 30mm pieces lack the level of detail I want paint, but then I'm not collecting or painting armies, processions, or other mass groupings, just single pieces. All of my figures, round and flats, are painted in acrylics. I also occasionally sculpt my own flats and/or convert and existing flat into something else.

I also have a small herd of MGs - two Midgets (72/77) and a B (76). Sometimes when time is short, it's hard to choose which hobby to play with...

My wife also makes beer and I am her official beer taster ...after playing with the figures or cars.

8)

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
A bit of all sizes,
- busts, fantasy, Mucha, some ancient painters busts ... from 40 to 160mm
- 30mm series like Mohr, 30YW, ECW, Egypt, Assyrians, Carthagen, Celtics & Britons, Romans, Elefants, Chariots, Tannenberg, Crecy, Alice, Japan
- not ACW, civilians subjects, few Napoleonic time, not after, not WWI, not WWII

If done, all with oïl.

But I need 25 years life more, desperately.....  if anyone has access to a magic drink to extend it, I am candidate!!
Michel
_______

Brian

Whats your cup a tea
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:55:50 AM »
Don't drink tea, horrible stuff  :o  but what do you collect and paint, 30mm or bigger, sets or single, busts or full, one or two sides, what is it that says "I like that"   ;)