Author Topic: Books  (Read 104848 times)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Re: Books
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
980!!!! thats more than my local library!!!!  perhaps we should call you   'The Librarian'  hahaha

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
Thanks Nick.  If you have a question I will be glad to see if I have a book on it ;)  I started this love with books when I was a kid and that would go along with model soldiers also. From my first book by Bob Bard to today with Histoire & Collection.  I forgot to ad another one The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II by Chris Bishop. The Author produces a lot of books for Amber publishing and this book is a collection of several books already printed. Like his first World War I book it dose not go into a lot of information on the weapons system, but just what I want. One of the great things about it is the price Amazon has them cheap.  As I set here I had a idea come into my mind. What do you all think of starting a listing of books on various periods some of these are in print and out of print. We could also include prints and post cards. Besides it give me a chances to see what I have :o  At last count I have 980 books Willie

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
You certainly like your books Willie, the Douchkine's  book is excellent, when things go haywire with my painting, I get it out and it inspires me to have another go. I must say,  you do  have a wide verity of interests. I'll know who to ask if I need a certain reference.   

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
OK hope everyone got lots of nice books and if you are still look for yours to show up welcome to the club. The Encyclopedia of Warfare By Dennis Showalter. Nice fat book covering from 2500 BC to 2011 printed in 2013. Now for the harden military Historian this book is not what you want. I like it because when I start to look for different flats to paint  I  go to this book and I come up with the most interesting wars. Second The US Army Soldier By Morel printed in 2012 by Histoire & Collections. This covers the uniforms and equipment being used today in Afghanistan. Willie

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »
Today my Vladimir Douchkine book came and I am very impressed with the book. I must say that he did a lot of things in his life and his art work is outstanding. Willie

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
  As already stated about my birthday on the 15th I received a couple of books . The first one is Semper FI for all you Jar Heads out there. The Definitive Illustrated History of the U.S Marines a revised and updated edition. Lots of nice color pictures in it and uniforms and weapons. Most of all of it comes from the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico VA, if you get a chances to visit it by all means do so. Second is Smithsonian World War I  The Definitive Visual History by Richard Overy printed by DK. So there you go 8)  Willie

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
So lets start with The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War I . This is a new book and it covers Weapons Systems, Tanks Small Arms, Warplanes Artillery, Ships, Armored Cars, and Submarines. Ok the book is By Chris Bishop printed by Amber publishing. The book is a collection of various books on this subject. For me it just what I wanted . I can use it to paint by and it fits into my collection nice .I know that there are other books out there on these subject, but this is what I need and the price is right at Amazon. Second is for all you Indian Army fans The Military in British India By T.A.Heathcote set down with a Brandy or Tea and read. Third and one of the best used books I ever got Warriors of Eurasia from the VIII Century BC to the XVII Century AD. by Mikhael V Gorelik, printed in 1995 it is paper back like a Osprey Men At Arms Series lots of color work in it. I would say that is was first printed in Russian and then English. Printed by Monvtert Publications. Last Osprey #496 The Prussian Army of The Lower Rhine 1815. so only 49 days until Christmas  ;D  Willie

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
 Once again the BOOK Gods have smiled on me. I now have the Encyclopedia of French Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles 1914-1940 By Histoire & Collections. It is a big book and has lots of information in about tanks and vehicle types and lots of color prints in it so if you want to paint French Tanks go out and get it. Willie

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Well here we go again.  :o  Dragoons Vol # 1 1669-1749 arrived yesterday. The book is by Histoire & Collections  Officers and Soldiers of France. by Veronique & Ludovic Letrun. So fare I do not see any problems with the printing and English. The color plates are out standing and I cant weight to see the Vol #2. Now if are German & French friends produce sets of these :o  We will be painting long hours into the morning. Now for are World War I  Group. The Somme 1916 Crucible of a British Army By Michael Chappell. This is a old book printed in 1995 by Windrow & Greene. It is a large book and the color plates are outstanding,  For are colonial subjects The Aanglo Boer Wars By Michael; Barthorp a medium size book the fourth in a series by him about the British Army. Its a nice book to read about this period, and you get a overview of this war. I like his books because I can fit them into my book cases for I am running out of room :-[  Now for the Navy types Rank and Rate Vol # 2  By E.C.Coleman brand New  Covers Naval Ratings WRND Royal Marines Qarnns and  Auxiliaries . Now for the US Navy group we have Uniforms of the Sea Services By Colonel Robert Rankin this is a old book but one of the best I have seen printed in 1962  So let me know what you think  Willie

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
 After talking with friends on the Napoleonic Artillery flags in the Artillery and the Gribeauval System that the color was called pigeon green or orange on cantons on the flag and this was do to the way the flag was made at that time and the material they used. So I was wrong and like I said I would say so.  Willie

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Well after almost a year my Histoire & Collection  Officers and Soldiers of France showed up. Artillery and the Gribeauval System 1786-1815 By Ludovic Letrun  Vol #1  #23 Its a nice book with lots of information and nice plates of Uniforms and equipment. The only thing I have a question on is the flags of the King, some of the color on the regimental flags looked washed out. One of the  things I get mad >:(  about is this company does not proof read there stuff before it goes to the printer or the printer checking on his color run >:(  I just notice that they print the book in Spain. So maybe both the French and Spanish Brush up on there English and how to lay out a print set up and check the color ::) . I like these books you can use them in your book rack while painting and the cost is good. Now before anyone gets there underwear in a wedge I feel that Histoire & Collections has a responsibility to the public and its self to produce the best material they can. If I am wrong about the color I will say I am sorry. So if any of you have this book let me know. Willie

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
 Zinnmartina . Yes you are very right the Verlag Militaria  are some of the most outstanding books printed on the subject. I also agree on pictures of the real thing ,its a great help when you are painting.  The Following publisher are out standing Verlag  Militaria  Histoire & Collections, Andrea Publishing, Military Mode Publishing. Now for the paper backs, Osprey, Crowood, Concord,   Almark, Amber Squadron for planes and Armor. So this should keep you looking and in the used books stores a lot. Now what's new  ???  The first one is called Grunt By Antonio Arques A Pictorial Report on the US Infantry's Gear and Life During the Veitnam War. 1965-1975. Once again Andrea has come out with a very out standing book. It covers everything they used in the war from Jungle boots to Playboy its in there. So if you are interested in the war this is a good book to have. Second would be Fight Gear 1942-1945 By Mathieu Bianchi Histoire & Collection it covers everything you need to fly your B17 P51 P47 and uniforms. All most forgot Uniforms of the Sea Services By Colonel Robert H Rankin USMC The book is old printed in 1962 By the Naval Institute covers Navy uniforms from 1776 to 1960 it covers a lot of periods.  Now the shocker after redoing my book list I went into shock 850 books  :o this does not cover the Traditions, Osprey, and I am running out room. :-[  Willie

zinnmartina

• Associate
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 05:57:42 AM »
For World War I and other periods I think

http://militaria.at/Default.aspx

is of some interest.
I have a book about the austrian-ungarian army in WW I and the book of Frederick the great.
Really great books.
About this two books the important part for me is that they show photos of originals.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
 So time to dust of the book shelve and come up to date. I must say it has been very slow in new books.  :-\   Some of the stuff I have ordered have taken a whole year and still not here. Are friends at Historie & Collection have some what been dragging there feet :o . So here we go. Also does anyone have a answer about those prints I asked about.  Willie
              1. Grunt Illustrated History of the US Infantry in  Vietnam  Uniforms, Equipment, By Antonia Arques
              2. The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War I By Chris Bishop
              3. French Artillery #23 Historie & Collections
              4. French Dragoons #24  Historie & Collections

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
 First of all an up date on the yeomanry uniform books. I now have all but two of the series and hope soon to get them. Gerry yes I have Mystic Warriors of the Plains great book .  Now I am going to switch the tables around. Ok fellow members of this Society what are you guys & gals looking for in books. Let me know your ideas ??? Also does anyone know where I can pick up the post cards of the Indian army by Major A.C.Lovett I have some already but there are some I would like to get for my collection  Willie