Author Topic: Books  (Read 107105 times)

Re: Books
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »
Ok Now I have the flowing Traditions
                      1. #45 The Gurkha Issue
                      2. #29 Indian Mutiny Part 1
                     3. # 30 Indian Mutiny Part 2
                     4. # 50 Indian Cavalry Part 1
                     5. # 73 Indian Cavalry Part 2
     Almark Publishing
                     1. Indian Cavalry
                     2. Skinners Horse
      History of the Indian Army
                    1. The Indian Army By Mollo
                    2. The Indian Army  and the Kings Enemies 1900-1947 By Trench
                    3. The Indian Army of the Empress 1861-1903 By Harfield
                    4. The North West Frontier By Barthorp
                    5. Rivals of the Raj By Peter Abbot
                    6. The British in India 1825-1859 By John French
                    7. The British Indian Army 1860-1914 By Shire publishing
                    8. The Military in British India 1660-1947 By Heathcote
                    9. The Indian Army the Garrison of British Imperial India By Heathcote
                  10. The Frontier Ablaze Northwest Frontier Rising 1897-1898 By Barthorp
               This is what I have in my bookcases I hope this will be a help to the society when you paint figures Willie

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »
  Ok here we go with the Indian Army listing
              Uniform guides
                      1. An Assemblage of Indian Army Soldiers & Uniforms By Michael Glover nice book lots of color.
                      2. Indian Army Uniforms Infantry By W.C.Carman  I would say it is the bible of  Indian Army Uniforms
                      3. Indian Army Uniforms Cavalry By W.C.Carman   This goes for this one also .
                      4. The Ackermann Military Prints Uniforms of the British and Indian Armies 1840-1855

Osprey Series
                      1. 219  Queen Vitoria's Enemies # 3 India
                      2.  324 The North-East Frontier 1837-1901
                      3. 421  The Sikh Army
                      4. 453 Armies of the East India Company 1750-1850
                      5. 67 The Indian Mutiny
                      6. 268 The British Troops in the Indian Mutiny 1857-59
                      7. 41 The Gurkha Rifles
                      8  72 North-West Frontier 1837-1947
                      9. 91 Bengal Cavalry Regiments 1857-1914
                    10.  31 30th Punjabis
                    11.  92 Indian Infantry Regiments 1860-1914
         Elite Series
                      1. 49 The Gurkhas
                      2. 75 The Indian Army 1914-1947
                     So this is a start I have still pull out my Traditions and Almark series and next the history of the Indian Army  Willie

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
So I had to come threw the back door since Google does not have the web page she had this morning and now its gone :(  Ok Another book for the colonial people in the group. The Frontier Ablaze the Northwest Frontier Rising 1897-98 By Michael Barthorp. This book is about 19 years old but it is one of the best ones I have seen . Lots and lots of very outstanding B/W photos and the color plates are out standing. it is printed by Windrow & Greene I also have the Somme 1916 witch is another out standing book from this publisher.  I was wondering if anyone of  would be interested in me doing say a list of say Indian Colonial books and if this was received well I could do others different periods Willie

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
Hi for all you British Colonial people out there I just got this little book today The British Army from Old Photographs By Boris Mollo. Not bad for being 40 years old. Lots of B/W pictures in there and the Indian ones are great.. Makes me want to have Dubar right now  :o  Just think of all the Lancer regiments you could paint  :P  The Elephant Artillery and Indian Regiments you could have and model nice forts in the Northwest frontier. Picture 18 is interesting they are loading elephants on a train at Mooltan 1893 . So you could have the Indian Army of the Queen Empress. Just remember mad dogs and English Men Don't go out in the noon day Sun.  8)  Willie

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »
 Like I just stated in another part of this form :o  This new Osprey book is a outstanding work on this subject but what is even better is the art work :o .  Now to hunt down the figures and get started painting
                1. Sea People of the Bronze Age Mediterranean C.1400 BC-1000 BC. 2015
               2.  Early Aegean Warrior 5000-1450 BC  2013
               3. Bronze Age Greek Warrior 1600-1100 BC  2011
               4. The Carthaginians 6th-2nd Century BC  2014

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
981 My list of books just went up .  :P  Now for the US Army Uniform lovers comes a book that will help you out. U S Army Soldiers and  Their Chevrons By William K Emerson printed in 2013 and James Bender publishing. So if you are interested in this area of military you should get this book Willie

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
 So here we go with a listing.  ;D   The first list will not be on Uniforms or History but Color Mixing and painting. ???  I think that these should be a help to all of us in the society. They contain lots of information on mixing colors. The first are the Color Mixing Recipes By William F.Powell. Nice books with lots of information for over 500 color combinations. Second and one of the best books on skin colors is How to paint Skin Tones By James Horton printed in 1995 . Third is Color Mixing for Artists By John Lidzey printed in 2002 . Also Horse Color witch I have talked about before. This should keep you at your work bench Willie
                                                           Color Mixing Recipes
                                                        1. Color Mixing Recipes for Oil and Acrylic paints
                                                        2. Color Mixing Recipes For Portraits
                                                        3. Color Mixing Recipes for Landscapes

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
980!!!! thats more than my local library!!!!  perhaps we should call you   'The Librarian'  hahaha

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
Thanks Nick.  If you have a question I will be glad to see if I have a book on it ;)  I started this love with books when I was a kid and that would go along with model soldiers also. From my first book by Bob Bard to today with Histoire & Collection.  I forgot to ad another one The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II by Chris Bishop. The Author produces a lot of books for Amber publishing and this book is a collection of several books already printed. Like his first World War I book it dose not go into a lot of information on the weapons system, but just what I want. One of the great things about it is the price Amazon has them cheap.  As I set here I had a idea come into my mind. What do you all think of starting a listing of books on various periods some of these are in print and out of print. We could also include prints and post cards. Besides it give me a chances to see what I have :o  At last count I have 980 books Willie

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
You certainly like your books Willie, the Douchkine's  book is excellent, when things go haywire with my painting, I get it out and it inspires me to have another go. I must say,  you do  have a wide verity of interests. I'll know who to ask if I need a certain reference.   

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
OK hope everyone got lots of nice books and if you are still look for yours to show up welcome to the club. The Encyclopedia of Warfare By Dennis Showalter. Nice fat book covering from 2500 BC to 2011 printed in 2013. Now for the harden military Historian this book is not what you want. I like it because when I start to look for different flats to paint  I  go to this book and I come up with the most interesting wars. Second The US Army Soldier By Morel printed in 2012 by Histoire & Collections. This covers the uniforms and equipment being used today in Afghanistan. Willie

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »
Today my Vladimir Douchkine book came and I am very impressed with the book. I must say that he did a lot of things in his life and his art work is outstanding. Willie

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
  As already stated about my birthday on the 15th I received a couple of books . The first one is Semper FI for all you Jar Heads out there. The Definitive Illustrated History of the U.S Marines a revised and updated edition. Lots of nice color pictures in it and uniforms and weapons. Most of all of it comes from the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico VA, if you get a chances to visit it by all means do so. Second is Smithsonian World War I  The Definitive Visual History by Richard Overy printed by DK. So there you go 8)  Willie

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
So lets start with The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War I . This is a new book and it covers Weapons Systems, Tanks Small Arms, Warplanes Artillery, Ships, Armored Cars, and Submarines. Ok the book is By Chris Bishop printed by Amber publishing. The book is a collection of various books on this subject. For me it just what I wanted . I can use it to paint by and it fits into my collection nice .I know that there are other books out there on these subject, but this is what I need and the price is right at Amazon. Second is for all you Indian Army fans The Military in British India By T.A.Heathcote set down with a Brandy or Tea and read. Third and one of the best used books I ever got Warriors of Eurasia from the VIII Century BC to the XVII Century AD. by Mikhael V Gorelik, printed in 1995 it is paper back like a Osprey Men At Arms Series lots of color work in it. I would say that is was first printed in Russian and then English. Printed by Monvtert Publications. Last Osprey #496 The Prussian Army of The Lower Rhine 1815. so only 49 days until Christmas  ;D  Willie

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
 Once again the BOOK Gods have smiled on me. I now have the Encyclopedia of French Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles 1914-1940 By Histoire & Collections. It is a big book and has lots of information in about tanks and vehicle types and lots of color prints in it so if you want to paint French Tanks go out and get it. Willie