Author Topic: Michael Harding oil paints  (Read 2097 times)

Michael_43

• Associate
Re: Michael Harding oil paints
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »
This oil paints are available in Germany, too. I ordered a starter-set and a green to try.

Michael

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
That's what I like to hear Glen, Encouragement by the bucket load :)

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »
Mark, there is always time to paint - even if it's only for fifteen minutes. A set of eyes, a pair of shoes, a belt. A base coat even. Perhaps the hair? Take the time. Fifteen minutes is all it takes. Every day. You'd be surprised how much you can get done. I know I was when it was suggested to me.

Glen

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Soon be Christmas Mark, no excuse then!!!! ;D ;D ;D

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
I ordered a small set after Nick's recommendation and checking them out on Dick Blick's site in the US.  Everyone seems to love them and I do agree they are wonderfully creamy and have a nice pop to them.  Very pleased with my purchase as well - just no time to paint.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Brian

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
I have been kindly given a introductory set of these marvellous paints and even had time to give them a go, using just white spirit I have to say these are the kiddo's  to have, well good and if you have the chance have a go ;) available from our mates at Jacksons.

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Oil_Painting-Oil_Colour-Michael_Harding's_Artists_Oil_Colour/c2129_2128_1822_1831_5815/index.html

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
 A little Harding paint and there's an old man!!!   

gerry Larkin

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
what kept you Nick :o ;)
Ive been using Michael Harding and Old Holland oils for some time!! great paints, I use them as an oil painter because I find  the
cadnium range dry nice and matt( no dullcote needed!!)  and they really are the best! no question I  mix the oils with W.N Sansadour and a touch of Liquin  and this has proved IMHO the best!  worth a try!!

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Yes they can be pricey, especially the Cadmium colours ( prices of raw cadmium have risen sharply )

Series 1 is a good range and the cheapest. Shop around though, I have found them being sold from £4.50 right up to £6.25 in my local art shop.

Because they are so concentrated, if you could paint 50 pictures with an ordinary makers tube, with Michael Hardings you could paint around 75!

Basically these will last a lifetime. ;D ;D ;D

kevind

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:21:34 AM »
Just ordered a few small tubes from Jerry's Artorama here in the USA...pricey little paints...many colors absurdly so.
Some 40ml tubes going for $60-90!!!
Only bought in the $9-15 range...will see how they work.

alfsboy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:12:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip .I will have to try some though my paint collection is growing faster than my flat collection .On a small note i have always had a good eye for colour mixing .I use to mix gallons of   nitro car paint to pantone colours and this would entail eyeballing as there was no direct mix available due to pigment differences as Pantone are an ink  based colour system  .I learned a few year ago that one of my direct ancestors was a pigment  mixer at Winsor and Newton  in Victorian times .Maybe his mixes were used by some greats   as an artists colony  full of greats was around the original shop .

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »
I use Da Vinchi  Meastro brushes  ( round brush for water colour :o )  highly recommend these as well ;)

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
One of the interesting side effects of painting flats is the miniscule amount of paint used over the years.  As a result I have a very hefty set of oil paints with most of the painting universe represented but, not these as of yet.

I delight in finding a new favorite color here and there particularly when they are not $20 a tube.  I will have to give these a try as like you I am finding W&N a little uneven of late - they seem to have much more oil in them than they used?

Brushes - Series 7 - is another sore subject.

Thanks for the recommendation.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Michael Harding oil paints
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
As most of you who know me know,  I have been using Winsor and Newton water mixable oil paints.
At Euro, I was recommended Micheal Harding oil paints, as I have been finding the W&N Earth colours very grainy.

I  therefore thought I would give it a go, so looked them up on their website.

Michael is an Artist, and decided he could make paints better than others. His saying is
Why create something so good and then dilute it??. other manufacturers dilute their colours with binder, which tends to make them a bit thin!

The first thing you will notice is how creamy they are, and the colours are just vibrant! they blend extremely well and I find are a lot easier to use. Because they are more concentrated, you can put light over dark and still retain the lighter colour ( when wet on wet ) You can even stain one colour over the other to great effect.

I am currently working on The Firebird, and by putting Red over a yellow base coat, it has made it almost glow.

They dry to a nice matt sheen, and there is no graininess to them at all.

If you are having problems with your paints, give this paint a go, I think you will be surprisingly happy with them. I just wish I knew about them sooner.

Nicholas