Author Topic: Rendering eyes in 30 mm flats  (Read 1270 times)

snagy

Re: Rendering eyes in 30 mm flats
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
When I paint elephants and camels I use a small amount of white toned down with dark brown and then a touch of black for the eyes I well have to experiment with the mouth.  Just for fun I picked this book A Filed Manual of Camel Diseases :o You have not lived you been kissed by a Camal ;D :o  Willie

Jean_Paul

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:04:20 AM »
Yes like eric , for 30mm, I use a pin or needle for the white point

take care
Stay at home

Jean Paul

snagy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
Thank you for the feedbacks, Gentlemen!
Take care of your health-
Sandor

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
I agree with you Christoph
White in human eyes in 30mm makes globulous unreal eyes
For horses just a small white point to highlight the eye will be enough
Eric

Christoph

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 04:36:31 AM »
Hello Sandor,
I tried some times to paint the white in the eyes of 30mm figures but to me it don´t look well.
So I stopped with that and followed what you mentioned that the eyes mostly lies in shadow, for me this gives a greater effekt.
This will work with 30mm but I´m sure it is a quiet different thing with bigger figures.

It´s a different thing with horses, normally you don´t see any white in their eyes. But I used to paint their eyes with a little white. Not to show the white of the eyes, more to show the light reflecting in their eyes.

Hope this helps,

Christoph

Christoph
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:23:05 AM by Christoph »

snagy

Rendering eyes in 30 mm flats
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
Friends, here is a topic I should like to hear your opinion: how to paint the eyes of the figures?

I mean first the eyes of the humans.

Looking around there are figures with meticulously painted eyes: so white and the eyeball.
There are also figures that have only black stripe referring to the eyes.

1. If one looks on a photo showing human figures in about 30 mm measure, the eyes hardly can be seen: they are mostly shadowed.
2. It is quite difficult to paint the eyes in this scale in details to give them serious appearance. In most cases the detailed eyes in this scale affect rather cartoon-like.

So I am for the simpler representation of the eyes of the humans, to avoid the unwanted effect.

The eyes of the horses a bit different case, since they are much larger (both in reality and in scale 30 mm): so the impression of a frightened or furious horse can be easier represented.

So in case of the horses I can better accept the range from simple shine-point up to the more detailed rendering.

I would be curious about your standpoint!

Paint a lot and take care of your health!!

Sandor