Author Topic: Elf Pinup - SBS  (Read 8537 times)

Glen

• Associate
Re: Elf Pinup - SBS
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
Sure thing. I'm thinking of trying it myself. Lots of projects stacking up tho', and not all of them figures...

Cheers,

Glen

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
PJ/RM, I haven't tried the method you're talking about, but it has crossed my mind. I do know that Elvgren used photos and did light sketches on his canvas before laying on the paint. FWIW, coloring books use a similar method as well - lines on paper. Likewise paint-by-number sets. I see no reason why your plan wouldn't work. You would only have to put the drawing onto a surface appropriate for your chosen medium - watercolor/acrylic paper, oil paper, and the aforementioned sheet plastic. I would lightly scuff the plastic and primer it before painting.

My method is similar. I take a photo - or photos - and scale them in Photoshop to about twice the size I plan on sculpting and painting. I trace the photo onto vellum with a 2H pencil, making whatever changes in arms, legs, hands, hair, expression, etc., I need. Once that's done, I can redress the figure in whatever clothing (or lack of) I want. Once finished, I ink the drawing, and scan it to my chosen scale, which is about 90mm it seems. The torsos (the Elf pinup) are made at 90mm from bottom to the top of the head. Hats are extra (Steampunk pinup). I've pretty much settled into the 90mm size, but some earlier attempts were larger (Texas Heat and Bathtime Surprise). After inking, I put the drawing onto a small light box (used for 35mm slides) and trace the drawing onto a piece of .020" thick white plastic (Evergreen of Plastruct). I use sharp scissors - straight and curved - to cut the piece out. At this point, it's ready for putty. The basic drawing doesn't take much time at all, but my drawing skills aren't such that I can whip through the changes. Lots of erasing and do-overs. I can go from photo(s) to plastic in a couple of hours or so.

Cheers,

Glen

Thanks for this primer, Glen. I have saved it for future use.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
I'm thinking of a line drawing on a piece of plastic - using paint to do the work of engraving.

It would be like painting on canvas at this point, yes?

Yes, exactly.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
My feeling exactly...  :)

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »
PJ/RM, I haven't tried the method you're talking about, but it has crossed my mind. I do know that Elvgren used photos and did light sketches on his canvas before laying on the paint. FWIW, coloring books use a similar method as well - lines on paper. Likewise paint-by-number sets. I see no reason why your plan wouldn't work. You would only have to put the drawing onto a surface appropriate for your chosen medium - watercolor/acrylic paper, oil paper, and the aforementioned sheet plastic. I would lightly scuff the plastic and primer it before painting.

My method is similar. I take a photo - or photos - and scale them in Photoshop to about twice the size I plan on sculpting and painting. I trace the photo onto vellum with a 2H pencil, making whatever changes in arms, legs, hands, hair, expression, etc., I need. Once that's done, I can redress the figure in whatever clothing (or lack of) I want. Once finished, I ink the drawing, and scan it to my chosen scale, which is about 90mm it seems. The torsos (the Elf pinup) are made at 90mm from bottom to the top of the head. Hats are extra (Steampunk pinup). I've pretty much settled into the 90mm size, but some earlier attempts were larger (Texas Heat and Bathtime Surprise). After inking, I put the drawing onto a small light box (used for 35mm slides) and trace the drawing onto a piece of .020" thick white plastic (Evergreen of Plastruct). I use sharp scissors - straight and curved - to cut the piece out. At this point, it's ready for putty. The basic drawing doesn't take much time at all, but my drawing skills aren't such that I can whip through the changes. Lots of erasing and do-overs. I can go from photo(s) to plastic in a couple of hours or so.

Cheers,

Glen

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
I have a special file of "pictures that would make great flats."  I've gotta find some way to make these work into flats. I'm thinking of a line drawing on a piece of plastic - using paint to do the work of engraving. Have you ever tried this? Think it will work?  More like flat art, I know, but I have to work with what small talents I have.   ;D

Here's an example of what I mean: Dietrich from "Shanghai Express" (Also in B&W, which I love!) I also have several "Red Sonja" illustrations I'm dying to do.  Also a fan of Elvgren as well.

BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
Thanks PJ. Lots of views, but not a lot of feedback. I'll continue to muddle through the process. I want to do an Elvgren-esque style pinup and maybe another gal in a wooden wash tub.

Cheers,

Glen

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
Very nice work, Glen. I wish I had your talents.  8)
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
Final version. Just a few minor touch-ups here and there. Went with a simple brown frame and usual black background (felt card in this case). Padded two-sided tape secures the piece to the background. The pic was scanned in the frame. Hope you enjoyed the little trip.

Great New Year everyone!

Cheers,

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
This is probable the next to last pic. I've finished off the eyes (dark brown colored pencil) and did a number of touch-ups, some lining, and a general cleanup around the piece. Now I set it aside for a week or so before I go back to it and find the inevitable goofs. You have a week to look at it and tell me what I've missed...  :-[ .

Happy holidays everyone; fresh paint and the wind at your backs!

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
The sword is pretty much done. I used different Reaper and Vallejo white and yellow metallics - straight and mixed* - to put a glinting shine on the blade, hilt, and pommel. Sort of NMM techiques using metals... My mental jury is still out. Part of me likes it, part of me not so much, but my head's being coy, so I'm not sure why. :-\  Thoughts anyone? The next task is to engage in a myriad of touch-ups, some lining (e.g. lower edge of the bra sides) and fixes/mods for anything else I find - like eyebrows and lashes.

Cheers,

Glen

*The Reaper, Vallejo, and Andrea acrylic paints are intermixable if anyone's wondering. I still have a few Vallejo paints in my paint drawer. It'll be a race to see if I can use them before they turn into a jelled mass in the bottle.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Some progress... I've worked on her face and re-applied her makeup (yes, elf pinups wear makeup  8) ) and painted her hair. I added a bit of Pure White to the skin highlight colors (see below), then a little bit of red to create a pink blush. The hair is Golden Blonde for the base, the GB progressively lightened with Linen for highlights with Pure White for the finals. The sword is next if I can get off the fence and decide whether to go with metallics or NMMs.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Thanks AK. Been fiddling with the piece for the past few days, but I haven't made any postable progress. Weather's been better so doing other things. More later.

Promise.

Glen

AKB61

• Associate
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
Well you did it again Glen ... great job

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
Well, I 'll give it a shot down the road, but I think I'd rather have Rafa give us a tutorial. His sculpting his magic!

Glen