Author Topic: Varnishing figures - yes or no?  (Read 4078 times)

oleg

Re: Varnishing figures - yes or no?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 12:04:56 PM »
Hi,
to my opinion it is necessary to cover figure to protect paint from rubbing off. The problem is - what varnish to chose. I was using Mattlack from Germany but they are not making it anymore. Satin cover is not too shiny but enriches colors and levels tones. I found satin being too shiny sometimes and rejected it. For the last years I was using Crylon matt spray but you have to shake it for at least 2 minutes and it is better to spray twice. I have no problems with spraying paint dried overnight.
Oleg

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
I spray the painted figures with Schmincke Matt-Film 50408

a matt varnish -
Important - you have to wait until the paint is really dry  ( I wait for three months) before spraying them -   

Erich

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »
I recall an article in Military Modeling by Bob Marrion, am pretty sure a show review, where he cautioned painters not to use varnish on their figures.  My memory is that he was referring to a Julian Hullis figure.  Always stuck with me.
JBA

fesak_j

• Associate
Varnishing figures - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:15:02 AM »
Hi lads, I have a question about varnishing figures? Do you use the varnish? - matt or satin? I used to use earlier tamyia matt in spray however I think that the figure lost the attractiveness a bit like -15%. Hard to say - all details remain however it is not like before by the feeling. I ve read the article with Mike Taylor or Gianpaolo Bistulfi advice to not use it, however I would prefer to cover the paint to not damage the figure when framing/ moving/ etc....what do you think? Does Rick Taylor or Greg DiFranco using the varnish once the figure is done?