Forum > General Discussion

Todays painters

(1/4) > >>

blaster:
Hi all,

The reason that I got into flats was that the coverage of subject matter differed vastly in content, Emphasis and artistry from the current trend round figure modeling.
Content- besides the vast coverage on military history, there is this amazing coverage on non military subjects unparalleled in round figure production, across all time periods and culture.
Emphasis - in round figure production, most of it is fixated on one period, in a scale unappealing to me. The 30 mm scale is perfect for me as I want to do compact dioramas.
Artistry - I find the whole concept of flats, from designing, engraving to editing wholly removed from that of figure modeling, bordering on artistic concepts.
I don't think that introducing new fantasy ideas into flats will broaden its timeless appeal to a breed of dedicated collectors, makers who still view the world before Galileo....

Rgds victor

errant49:
Don't worry Brian, keep pushing, there will be something left fot the glory of flats !
Eric

Brian:
I started this thread to see if doing more then the wonderful figures we have showing military history is a way forward for our hobby, maybe we are just to stuck (including myself) with the figures from Mignot, Hafer, Mohr and Frank to really give the new guys a chance.
We've some great designers and engravers trying to tempt us with there figures away from military subjects, maybe we could give them a chance whether it's fantasy or civilian.

But thanks all and paint what grabs you, but keep painting and collecting flats, and when my figures are available I hope you all buy one or two  :o
Just one more thing, it was hard enough to get me on the committee :o  I am not taking over the Society just pushing (maybe to much sometimes) for the future of the flat figure ;)       

gerry Larkin:
Hi Oh Great one :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D!!
There is an vast amount of military/historical subjects in flats yes,but and the big BUT just look beyond, we need to promote all types of flats, engraving any subject well is a challege  for the engraver,  but Fantasy  subjects sell! they are popular, ive no axe to grind in subject matter, i like historical and Fantasy, but a well engraved figure is a must! what engravers such as Lepeltier are engraving at the moment is nothing short of  brillance  Benedikt widmann is editing some superb stuff recently! and Andreas troste is engraving  some superb flats!, ok so some people will never change,  you have got to see the vast amount what is  available and not only paint what you are safe with! there are so many differant subjects and not just military!!  there will never be another Frank or Moer but there are some superb engravers out there!! so guys open your minds!! look and see beyound your realm of what you paint, you will be surprised to what you see, and its fun every now and then to take a diversion, at the end of the day it is the painters choice , what he or she paints, but dont be  Blinkered guys you never know, some other then Historical subjects may appeal to you!    Cheers.. Gerry. ;)

Nicholas Ball:
I'm willing to give it a go ;)   Mr. King, oh Great One. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version