Author Topic: Menz - Crusader Personalities  (Read 4305 times)

Rick Sanders

• Associate
Re: Menz - Crusader Personalities
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 07:32:36 AM »
All,
The current vendor for these figures, originally edited by Han Mueller (Erfurt) is the couple Kristen and Hardy Howey who obtained the moulds from Irene Menz-Wille, the daughter of Fritz Menz.  They are now sold unter the name "Zinnfiguren 'Fritz Menz' Burg"  and their catalogue is at www.zinnfigurenfreunde-burg.de/images/offizin/menzkat.htmOf Mueller's figures, they have primarily those from the 11th to 13th centuries and Saracens and Ottoman Turks.  The figures for the Battles of Crecy and Tannenberg/Grunwald and German Gothic period are available sporadically from Hans Schwahn; the moulds for the 14th-15th century tournament figures are with "Magdeburger Zinnfiguren", but the vendor, Heinz-Dieter Tetzel is not very responsive to orders other than from former East Germans.

With regard to the book, "Zinnfiguren der Rittterzeit von Hans Müller, Erfurt", it is now in print and mailings to Germans who have ordered it will start this week, followed by orders from within the rest of Europe, and then to the U.S. and Canada.  If you are interested in the book - 180 pages, hundreds of color photos of all 460+ of Mueller medieval figures plus Ottoman Turks - you can order it from me, the primary author.  Info about ordering it is on my website at https://www.ricksanderszf.com/ricks-publications.html.  An English translation (minus photos) in pdf is free for folks who can't read German.

Hannibal

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:12 AM »
... and keep this very attracting booklet pubkuished in three months......

Planned Publication on the Medieval Flats of Hans Müller of Erfurt (intflatfigures.org)
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
Appreciated, hope contact is still current.  Either way, thank you for highlighting this set--wonderful to see.
JBA

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »
There is some info here which may still be relevant:

http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?topic=2383.0

Mark  8)
Site Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
Great set!  I only see a physical address on the Menz's website.  Is there another way to contact the vendor?
JBA

archigrog

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 08:14:29 AM »
Flat tin figures need we live more then 250 years...i think we need 300...but we can do!  ;D

Claudio

Hannibal

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
Ah! AH! Ah, Mark, exactly the same for me !!
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »
Like most or all of us I purchase flats with the specific intent to paint them.  Some like these I save for special occasions with the specific intent to do a little extra something as they are so beautifully engraved.  (I tend to be that way with Mohr as well.)  So the short answer is I am not yet sure - I suspect I will try several of them soon and if history tells me anything they may be painted several times until I am happy.

At the moment I am working on Scholtz's history of costume and some Gottstein Aztecs, then we will see.  (If I live the necessary 250 years I am going to have a stunning painted collection.)

mark  8)
Site Admin

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »
When shall you paint them, Mark ??

Michel
_______

marko

• Administrator
Menz - Crusader Personalities
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
A thoroughly iconic set with some of the most beautiful medievals ever engraved - there are many examples in our galleries of these beautiful figures engraved by Frank.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]     [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The Menz online catalog:
  [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Mike Taylor highlighted these figures way back in a journal article in 1987:

Mike noted the bulk of this set was completed by November 1981 with some soldiers added in 1989.  In my case this set is apparently from the same collector I purchased the Crusader siege from 6 years earlier - 2015 and 2021.

mark  8)
Site Admin