Author Topic: A Sad Day - Carl Gruen's Passing  (Read 8068 times)

Re: A Sad Day - Carl Gruen's Passing
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »
Just yesterday I opened a small box of flats trying to remind myself what was in it and found a post-it note from Carl Gruen with some explanation, anecdote.  I never met the man as only purchased flats by mail but every dealing was fast and pleasant.  Also saw for the first time a picture of a painted bust of German panzer Gefreiter Carl Gruen.  Very interesting to make the connection.  Did he live in the U.S.?  I recall ordering his flats from Germany.
JBA

böckchen

• Associate
Re: A Sad Day
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
Sad to hear that Carl is no more.
He was the symbolic beacon of flat figures collectors overseas
best regards
Wolfgang

Brian

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »
It sounds like he was a great influence on figure painting and a all-round good, he will be missed.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about his passing Willie.

Larry Lee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
He was a very unique man and will be sorely missed. You're correct in that there probably would be no flat painters in the U.S. if it weren't for Carl. I fondly remember teasing Carl when he went to one of the other vendors at MFCA and bought an Africa Corps tee-shirt. He looked at me, puffed out his chest and  said "I vass in the Africa Corp.!"
Are we having fun yet?

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
It was Carl that got me into flats, and was for years my advisor and friend. He will be truly missed.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Sad news indeed.

Through Carl I was able to purchase two sets I had been hunting years for, first Wimor's Cassanova A Night in Venice and then Western Miniatures Alice which I had been looking for information on for 11 years.  Those were my first entry into going with flats in a major way and being able to find what I saw elsewhere.

He was always a gentleman to speak to and deal with.  He made a big difference to many folks interested in flats in the United States, myself included.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »
My condolences go out to you and his all his family.

kevind

A Sad Day - Carl Gruen's Passing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:46:39 AM »
It is with deep regret that report the passing of my dear friend and mentor Carl Gruen.
Carl, for all intents and purposes, introduced the flat figure to painters here in the USA.

His passion for his beloved zinnfigur was only surpassed by his knowledge thereof.

HE WAS ONE OF THE FINEST MEN I HAVE EVER HAD THE HONOR TO CALL MY FRIEND AND I WILL MISS HIM TERRIBLY....

RIP CARL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:59:42 PM by marko »