Forum > Newbie Section

Which base colours to buy ? Oil and Acrylics ?

(1/2) > >>

PJDeluhery:
No disagreements about black, Gentlemen. As I said, there are many points of view. Just trying to keep it simple.

errant49:
You are right about black, the best way is to made a mix between Ultramarine blue and Van Dick brown , BUT Ivory black is interesting on flats if used by small quantity to accentuate the depth
It is also useful to made the Imperial blue of the Napoleonic era, mixed with Prussian blue and while
Eric

Casper Friedrich:

--- Quote from: PJDeluhery on April 23, 2020, 07:15:18 PM ---If you're interested in keeping things simple and not spending too much money, all you really need is: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. You can mix any color from these, and they are all opaque.

--- End quote ---
Sorry, but I can still hear my Art teacher in junior high school saying real artists never uses black. Hence that color is not included in my oils.
 I can't manage without yellow ochre for the skinn tones. You could say that my palette is somewhere between yours and errant49's

Nicofig:
Thank you very much PJDeluhery.

I think buy Winsor and newton (Artist Color).

I thought I'd find it on my own but I realised that I was able to envisage 30 or 40 hits, which I think is way too many. ???

PJDeluhery:

There are many, many different views on the answer to your question. Here's mine.

If you're interested in keeping things simple and not spending too much money, all you really need is: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. You can mix any color from these, and they are all opaque. If you are not familiar with how to mix a color you can look it up online. Better yet, get a color wheel. Be sure to buy high quality paints, not student grades.

Best of luck to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version