Author Topic: Ban Flats!!  (Read 9392 times)

Hannibal

Re: Ban Flats!!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
There are no rules; no guidelines; no criteria for selection, no test to veriy the qualifications or correct understanding of a judge used for these shows (most involving paniters and judges from sevaral countries ).  All is matter of friendship, blind trust, or 'being known'.  Should be apply this in pharmaceutical, car, aircratft matters to evaluate quality of a product, the judges would disqualify them selves quiet immediately for being untrained and unqualified.  But this is hobby world of a small community.

It is to the community itself to setup their own rĂ©gulations for such activity; not difficult, just be willing to do so for correct evaluation, fairness.  This "society called 'international flat figure society ' is perfectly fullfilling the profile of such an organisation to setup some simple , clear and useful guidelines for judging flats in international competition.  Many members are master painters with experience, contact and across several countries to come in one year time with such guidelines and improve the skills not only of painters, but other judging ther work.  Kulmbach should be a deadline to annone and publish such guidelines.

Just need people willing to take this over, not just complaining for absence.

(I think, at least, ... but I am myself still between a novice and confirmed painter ...)
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

BobLeighton

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
So if this judge is saying that its not about painting skills, are we to assume that all the items on display were unpainted and all scratch built by the exhibitor.

The few shows that I have been to, all seem to show stock models purchased from a manufacturer and painted, some times very badly.
Very few models are scratch built and even when they are, they are still painted.
So where does this judge draw the line does he discount painting entirely, or only accept those figures that qualify for his attention and merit.
The problem with Judges is that they do not judge to  the standard but judge to their own standard, and I have seen really badly completed figures and some armour models win top places, simply because the person judging liked that period.
This is really why I don't attend shows as they are often not judged fairly.
I can remember being at some BMSS monthly shows when Jim Woodley s figures did not even qualify
Every one isf their own judge and if they like a figure that is sufficient.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:54:06 AM »
 I think that this guy is a French Fry short of a Happy Meal.  He did not mind taking your money to inter the show did they. ED BRAIN NICK GERRY keep on what your doing at shows. Every time we go to shows large or small we spread the word about Flats. Besides don't make me have to let loose the Fly Monkeys on that group. Willie

Ed Humphreys

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 05:06:03 AM »
So where does he stand on boxed dioramas? I spend at least as much time on settings as I do on figures. All my buildings are scratch built, often with a forced perspective, directing the viewer's gaze to the main focus of the scene. This is at least as skilled as assembling a kit tank and placing it in front of a kit resin building with bought-in accessories. It just goes to prove what we believe about many in the judging fraternity. I did say many, not all, so relax, Gerry
Ed H

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »
Actually what he said was  ( referring to flats )

"competitions are not about painting skills, its about the modelling"!!!  And this from a Chief Judge!!!

So, go out, buy a bust, glue on the head, prime it with a car spray ( any colour will do!!) attach it to a base and hey presto, GOLD

I tend to ignore most ridiculous comments, its just not worth the hassle with these small minded people. but this guy takes the biscuit. it's bad enough from a Judge, but a chief Judge!!!

Rich Sculpts

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:51:56 AM »
Was it a certain plastic kit bashing show? If so just ban the white metal ones  ;)

Rich

Brian

Ban Flats!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »
Here something for you to talk about, it was suggested at a major show at the weekend that all flats should be band from modelling competitions,
it's not modelling you know!!
what do you think?