Author Topic: Pick on Mike week. Work in progress  (Read 2698 times)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Re: Pick on Mike week. Work in progress
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
Why have a 6 pack, if you can carry a  barrel!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, I don't have a belly, it is nicely rounded extended muscle block. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dickens, didn't he write Harry Potter?  ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »
Thats true. But I haven't got a belly and I don't need cuban heels! If 20 pints and a spittoon makes you a man, I'l stick to opera and a glass of wine Thank you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Have a great Christmas Nick and don't worry if you get visited by three ghosts on Christmas eve. (Dickens)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 05:36:14 AM »
and you only drink beer from a sherry glass!!!!  you need to man up!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:56 AM »
Please don't let this banter put anyone off from showing figures on the forum.
It is a bit of fun and I know a lot of people on the forum personally. Its good that the forum is active again with what its all about Collecting, painting and picking on your mates.
The Christmas break is here now so lots of painting for some I hope. Not me unfortunately, so there should be lots of pics from everyone in the new year
Oh I nearly forgot I only paint in OILS and only 30mm.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Regards
Mike

böckchen

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
a nice style to achieve with little effective. :o :o
Do they use oil paints?
The depths pikmente colors come out nice. Just as it should be with 30mm figures. The smaller a figure, so as to achieve more shadow around a 3D result.
best regards
Wolfgang

nmrocks

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
Mike I like the way you painted it and I learned something new. The figure must be doing picket duty and something is about to happen. Or getting ready to stop a charge. Willie

Or maybe he suspects Eric is lurking in the shadows... ::) :P
You gentlemen here are great sports, I really enjoy the banter and sharing of knowledge. :)
Ray

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Mike I like the way you painted it and I learned something new. The figure must be doing picket duty and something is about to happen. Or getting ready to stop a charge. Willie

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
I have to state this is really a very poor Pick on Mike Day overall  >:(

Granted he has a unique style all his own which personally I am quite envious of, but there must be some general unsubstantiated vitriol that can be put forth to get us into the spirit of the exercise? 

Dig deep people...

Mark  ::)
Site Admin

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Not my area of expertise, but very nice. The black cloak does look black. I'm curious as to why the sword is carried on the right and bare bladed in winter weather. I can see the scabbard on the other side.

Glen

mike

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
Thanks Eric.
Post some pictures Nick and play! They must be 30mm though! I'm sure you have some stunners somewhere.
On a more serious note. The figure is from Ochel and engraved by L Frank. As one would expect there is a lot of flash to be removed but the detail is still there. I purchased  pair that were cast from the same mould. One has a cloak and the other in fine weather attire.

Black is a hard colour to depict. I used a base coat of Paynes grey with a little yellow ochre added and painting wet on wet use naples yellow for the highlights
On some areas I also used sap green to add a little colour. When dry I repeated the process. The shadows are a mix of paynes grey, lamp black and prussian blue.
By adding prussian blue to black it appears even darker. to make the boots a different "black" I used mars black highlighted with white. but a mix of raw umber and lamp black would also do.
Painting horses have been covered many times on the forum so I'll give that a miss.
Mike

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
I am glad to se I am not shouting in the desert ;D ;D ;D
The castcshadow of the cordon on the shako is a fantastic example of what cast shadows can make
I also do like the little touch of light on the back of the horse, very well placed
Mike you know I like your way; this figure is really good
Eric

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
Oh,oh,oh can I play?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike

• Associate
Pick on Mike week. Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
OK Eric do your worst.  >:(