Author Topic: from Bock,my last works  (Read 1263 times)

Re: from Bock,my last works
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
Fascinating discussion and learned something--good stuff.
JBA

Hannibal

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:20 AM »
Thanks Merlino!  However this background as we can observe is killing the figure and the colours, because too bright, and it closes the details of the subject on the same way as when you take a picture of someone with a background of the see or bright blue sky ...  Actually the reason is that the captors of your caméra is set-up on the global surface of the subject, not focused only to the centre of the subject, here the horseman, and the brightness of the background dominates and closes your diaphragm.

In your dark pictures, you seem to have applied a special filter in your picture, as revealed by lightening the picture = it is an ovale turned to the left at 60°, probably to get rid of the background, table and wall (see right top picture).  But it has also killed the colours, because when I brought up light, it required so much highlightening that the colours themselves faded (see middel picture above).

Eric Talmant was also taking his pictiures with an excessive brightness of the background, and no central focus onto the subject, leading to the same dark figures as your second set.

He changed last year the colour and structure of the background, trying several various tones, and effets, and has now a superb compromise and balance between the subject and the background, I put an example of his last pictures borrom left ....  Nice job !!

When taking pictures with a smartphone, important is to fingerpoint the subject itself just prior to the picture, to refocus the sharpness to the subject, and the lightening balance optimal to the central subject, not the surrounding. For a camera, use central dots focusing, not general area, as the computer of the camera will average the results of all captors of the total surface and backgrond will dominate this averaging process, not the subjectc.

Sorry for these comments, but the site Putty and Paint also favours dark backgrond and pictures are often badly using general surface focus, darkening the picture and almost 'hiding' the main subject in an unintentional  darkness, which to my mind kills in a few seconds the many hoiurs and efforts given to the painting ....
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

merlino

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 06:38:30 AM »
thanks to all !Hi Hannibal, other version..... ;)
merlino957@outlook.com
"on paints first with the brain, rather than with the brushes..."

Hannibal

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:00 AM »
Nice paintings ..... BUT ... the pictures are much underexposed, making the characters barely visible.  Would be pleased to see them rather during a show.

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

archigrog

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 11:33:22 PM »
Stunning painting!

Claudio

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »
Excellent painting that brought the flats to life--character and movement.  Really like the dark background and colors brought out.  Great to see.  Thank you for sharing.
JBA

Christian

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:02:40 PM »
As I wrote in FB, absolutely wonderful paintings!!

Well done again,

BG Christian
Christian, Kettwig (Germany)
Privatoffizin Kettwiger Zinnfiguren / Kettwiger tin figures

merlino

from Bock,my last works
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
30mm by W. Bock.30 years war.......  ;)
merlino957@outlook.com
"on paints first with the brain, rather than with the brushes..."