Author Topic: Painting? No, I don't think so.... How I discovered flats.  (Read 2471 times)

Brian

Re: Painting? No, I don't think so.... How I discovered flats.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 03:30:15 AM »
Maturin a big welcome to the world of the flat figure
Do have a go at painting the little guys but remember the figures you see on here are from thouse who have been at it for many years

snagy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:32 AM »
Bravo Willie it was an excellent intro!!!
 ;D

That is the essence - all the others will come by-and-by!
Welcome, Maturin!!
Sandor

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »
First of all welcome to are club of misfits 😱😵😎 Rule 1do not mix-up your Brandy glass for the one you clean your brushs in Rule 2  If you need help  on Elephants or camel 🐪 I am your man . Willie

Joerg

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:15 AM »
Hello Maturin,

welcome to the Society !

To write but I won't be competing with painters of flats
over such an example of craftmanship (?)  does not match the topic exactly.
 Go forward on this way and you very soon will be able to compete. :)
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 09:40:45 PM »
Nice set!  Thank you for sharing.
JBA

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »
Welcome to the Club, Maturin !
Very happy to have a new fan joining us, and with Otto Gottstein, you shot in the middle of the best ...

Your purchase of the Guards of the latest Valois from this German site is nice; I was just preparing the picture to load it this week with others on the Hanno Schmuck gallery on this site, where you can find many other suggestions painted in addition to ther personal galeries and several others, over 15,000 pictures.  The advantage is also that this vendor is also offering unpainted flats from the wide collection of Hanno...

You shall find a lot of help and suggestions here to help you to start and progress in your painting .....
Hoping it becomes an irresistible passion like us,

Much success !!
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

maturin

• Associate
Painting? No, I don't think so.... How I discovered flats.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »
Like many of us, I'm in lockdown - in my case on Mersea Island off the east coast of England. And I've just stumbled into the world of flats.
I returned to Britain semi-permanently a few years ago, and when I unpacked some things I'd left in storage in a relative's loft since the 70s, I found several models - a few Historex Napoleonics, some wargame figures in metal and a small collection of Bassett-Lowke ships and recognition models in wood.
The ships rekindled nautical interests, and I've since added many more excellent models from old and new makers, sometimes modifying and adding paint accents. The detail of the models from current manufacturers is remarkable, but I still have a fondness for my clunky 1930s Tremo and Wiking ships..
A couple of months ago, I bought some wargame figures (Napoleon and his staff/Sharpe/Late Romans) to see how far they'd come since the 70s, and as I surfed across the internet looking for reference, I came by chance on a story about a diorama in the Royal United Services Institution- a museum I recall from my childhood. I recently wrote about the Siborne diorama, and my interest was piqued.
So, I came across the name Otto Gottstein. And from there it was a slippery internet surf to pages of flat tin soldiers exquisitely engraved and painted to an incredible standard - often in oils! Remarkably, I learned from several excellent books on the subject that some of the earliest Zinnfiguren, works of brilliant craftsmanship, are still struck from original moulds. I had no idea that the flat had veered from the toy to the collectible path so early and so successfully.
A month or so ago, with my perceptions of flat figurines reset, I made a first tentative foray into the market, buying a few sets from Ebay and German sites. I picked a bad time, with Brexit and Covid disruption, but strangely my Zinnfiguren purchases have arrived on time and without extra charges, while my model ships have been long delayed and charged 20% and often much more.
I've not yet settled on a collecting strategy, though the early 18c appeals as it's a blank field of research for me, and I love the Grenadier uniforms. I bought samples of Napoleonic, 7YW, 1900s and WW2, mainly on looks - though I've no idea how to display them.
One thing I do know: given a Majestic class battleship, I'm a dab hand with a Dremel or a paintbrush, but I won't be competing with painters of flats.
I very much look forward to learning much more about the subject from this site, and I shall try not to try everyone's patience with too many questions.
Mike
I attached my first purchase.