Author Topic: New to Flats..  (Read 2131 times)

Re: New to Flats..
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Welcome to are group of Happy miss fits ::)  Now that you have had your background check and mental evaluation :P  and your picture posted in the post office ???  So plunk you pounds down to join us and spend about 1000 pounds on oil paint your in 8)  Willie

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »
I paint with acrylics as well; mostly Reaper, but I started with Andrea and then some Vallejo. You will find that the mechanics of flat acrylic painting are the same as for a round (3D) - brush control, layering, wet blending (I see you use a wet palette), base coats, glazes, and washes.
As Dave pointed out, light is what you control. Pick a direction from where you want the light and paint accordingly, but be aware that some parts of the piece might be casting shadows on other parts. It is the interplay of highlight and shadow that gives the piece a 3D look, so you might find yourself moving towards increasing the light/dark contrasts.
What you have so far looks good.
Press on!
Cheers,
Glen

Salter

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Welcome to the world of flats.It is different from painting round figures.Mainly from the source of the light.However you asked about display.Most painters use frames with the figure mounted on a felt background or a picture background.I have mounted on bases but the flat in my opinion generally looks better framed.
Hopefully we can meet up at Euro.Of interest that will be availiable will be a guide to painting flats dealing with the basics myself and Brian Keywood have been compiling this.It will be availiable from 2D.
I would be interested to duiscuss the benefits of Acrylics with you.
Dave Salter

MrLee

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »
Heh thanks Brian..

Am guessing it was you that I spoke with at the Figureworld show then :D If so, then I hope I am moving this piece along as one would with flats ;)

Will play around with it a bit more this weekend before I begin to ask for support though I think. Though am seeing a very unique and different style here compared to 3d painting. So I might have some interesting changes to make in the end.

Though, I do have one major question to begin with... how do you display them?!?! I see a variety of styles, but what is most common? Sockets/plinths? Or Picture frames? Should probably figure that out at some point so that I can begin to find the appropriate parts for that aspect of it :D

Brian

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
Hello, nothing wrong with acrylics, you use what your use to and ask away we will answer if we can ;)

Mr Lee is not unfamiliar to the paint brush, have a look here ;D

http://mrleespaintingemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

MrLee

• Associate
New to Flats..
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:57:18 AM »
So here I am.. after a quick chat with the gent at Figureworld a while back, and buying up a Cowgirl Flat Figure, I have finally had time to give it a start.

I have to say that it is completely different from what I am normally painting ( typical 3d figures ) and the change is coming across a bit more than I expected. But I am making a move for it, and looking forward to taking it further. Attached is my first piece that I am working on. I am reading that a lot of people are using Oils for them, but I have started it in Acrylic as that is what I use the most. Though I think I can see the point of oils for it, and might make the switch soon enough!

Though I am also trying to paint it with a limited palette at the moment. Sticking to the 3 primaries, white, and a skin tone to help set a baseline ( since most of the model is skin ).

Now to have a look more at these forums to understand some of the techniques being used, and then to have more chats with everyone at Euro in September to understand it better!