Author Topic: Hallo, and where do I start  (Read 3263 times)

Brian

Re: Hallo, and where do I start
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »
Dave how you doing, have you started painting yet?

Charles

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »
Have a look here. A great painting guide.
http://www.zinnfiguren-bistulfi.com/corsopittura.html

Joerg

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:08:30 AM »
Many thanks
Yes I would love to get into fine detail, but even my children giggle when I draw, it really is that bad,
I have joined the BFFS just waiting, for what happens next
Many thanks
Dave

@Dave, the fine thing with flat figures is, that -at first and second stages- there is no need for drawing.
Painting a figure is more like working with a colouring book - every line and contour is already done;
your only part is to fill areas with colours.  ;)

And, as all the other guys already stated - just start!

Joerg
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

Chris Seeley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »
Hi David welcome to the flat world.
You say you cant drew well i cant drew to save my life i got an O level in art down to what they called pop art in the 60s. cant paint a picture.
Painting flats is about practice, finding what paint you like to work in, the medium you want to use, above all what suits YOU.
Myself i use oil paint (REMBRANDT) as these are ground finer, medium is white spirit, and a small amount of liquin. Brushes please don't use cheap brushes you want get anywhere with then you need a good quality brush with a fine point. Cheap brushes the point goes and the only thing they are good for is undercoating.
Hope you have success with painting flats if a first you don't have success don't give up.
If you want any help PM me and i will try to help you as much as i can.
Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
Hi Dave and welcome to are group. First of all sell your kids to Gypsies  I did that with mine but they always come back around dinner time.  :P This is a hobby and fun, not a foot race. So work hard at it and you will be surprised at what happens. Willie

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
Once your membership goes through, our man Ed will probably inform Mark, our website Wizard, he will then let you into all parts when you log on.

You don't need to be able to draw to paint, and believe me , families are our worst critics!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you go to the vendor page, you can see suppliers, if you are in the UK then Brian of 2D is very helpful and local to the islands ;D but any vendor shown are very good and speak English.

If you need specific help just let us know here ;)

FIREFOX1

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
Many thanks
Yes I would love to get into fine detail, but even my children giggle when I draw, it really is that bad,
I have joined the BFFS just waiting, for what happens next
Many thanks
Dave

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
Hello David and welcome.

Firstly, we don't use the word can't, everybody can paint, it just takes a bit of patience and practice.

A basic figure is like a drawing, just stay within the lines. Ability to paint well is not judged here, we
Just want artists to enjoy painting, but flats are what we enjoy most.

As Mark said, there are many examples in the forum, if you become a full member of the BFFS you can get into the workbench areas where we post figures at various stages, it gives a good guide with various techniques and colours.

Art classes will give you the basics of form, shape and colour, a flat figure already has the first one,
it is learning the basics of colour that may really help and how to apply it. Shape is created by shadows and highlights, so creases and folds are painted. If you really want to get technical then cast shadows from one directional light source can be added.
Do you like the fine detail work, or the looser style of Monet?  All these techniques can be adapted to a flat figure.
Most of all, paint to how you feel comfortable, and if you are pleased with the end result then that is all that matters.
To really enjoy your painting, and to really relax with it, chose a subject you want to do.

When you start, post pictures and ask questions, however silly you think they may sound, we are here to help.

As Chris Seeley says, welcome to a flat world ;)

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
Dave,

Welcome and thank you for saying hello - hope you find many things to your liking here.

There are lot's of how to articles with examples in the Knowledge Base of the site that may give you some ideas and many helpful voices here as well.  Everyone starts somewhere so don't be shy there are many good - my category - to fabulous painters here all willing to provide encouragement and advice.

My suggestion would be to do a little wandering and see if a figure or period strikes your fancy and we can supply some advice on acquiring it.  Next up is a decision on medium - acrylics or oils being the most common though there are a couple of others represented as well. Important thing is to try a few things until you find what you are comfortable with.  Subject wise there truly is something for everyone.

Anyway again welcome - do some poking around and we will try to help steer you in the right direction.

Mark  8)
Site Admin

FIREFOX1

• Associate
Hallo, and where do I start
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
Hi one and all, , names Dave, and as the title say`s where do I start, I have no painting skills what`s so ever, and I really mean this, my hobby is Astrophotography, of which im deeply into to, but you need clear sky, of which we a lacking.
to be honest, looking at some of the posts your work is jaw dropping, it is really a case of "if only"
so the basic questions are where do I start, and it ranges from whre to buy right throught to shell I join a art school class.
please any pointers please
many thanks
Dave