Author Topic: The sword in the stone  (Read 2638 times)

Julia Kehle

• Associate
  • The sense of life, is life itselfs
Re: The sword in the stone
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:52 AM »
Hi Eric,
Thanks for this Thread! It is nice to follow your paintsteps, and the  beginning of light and shadow looks very fine already. I will follow you close :-) Greetings, Julia

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Not far from the end

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 07:19:04 AM »
Just be a little patient Michel and follow the thread
Here is the next step

I remove the color where the highlights should come
This needs a little attention but it allows to get a good idea of the relief of the figure

Then I add some yellow ochre on the undersides of the horse

I now work on the highlights with a reddish violet

Then first smoothing with a small dry brush

And work again on lights (with white and violet) and shadows (with a drak blue violet) till I am satisfied

I will now let it dry a little before coming back and see if it needs  some more works

Hannibal

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:11 AM »
the brown of the horse does not seem t be distinct enough from the cloack, giving a massive brown block; perhaps make it lighter?
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:11:39 AM »
Now the horse
Colors are blocked :
 The horse will be a cherry bay : burnt sienna + burnt umber + alizarine crimson + cadmium red
legs : ultramarine + van Dyck brown
Hair and tail : ivory black

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »
Third step
Those of you who knows Harold Foster Prince Valiant will recognize where the colors come from
I am fan of Harold Foster "In the days of king Arthur" and I have all the story

The cloak is made of alizarine carmine, cadmium red, a little ultramarine; highlights cadmium yellow and a little white; shadows ultramarine + the basic color to obtain a violet
The jacket is hortensia blue (Lefranc) + white + a little prussian blue; highlights white + Naples yellow; shadows violet as upper
The under jacquetwhite + yellow ochre + van Dyck brown; highlights white; shadows burnt umber
Gaiters and shoes burnt sienna + burnt umber; highlights yellow ochre and white; shadows van Dyck brown
Tonight a little work on lights and shadows
Because of a WE with children and grand children I will be back on monday
Eric

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
Second step : flesh color; face and arms
First coat with a mix of titanium white, Naples yellow, flesh ochre and burnt sienna; hair ultramarine blue + vanDick brown

Then first highlights with titanium white and Naples yellow, and frist shadows with flesh ochre; hair highlighted with white

Then work on highlights with the same mix and shadows with a little violet (ultramarine + alizarine crimson + white)

Crimson on the lower lip, black on the eyebrows and a very little grey on the chin

Arms are worked the same way

errant49

• Global Moderator
The sword in the stone
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:56 AM »
And here it is
I will try yo make a SBS with this nice BFFS figure, first of a long range, I hope
Scale is a little to high for me but the figure is nice
Design and engraving are good, without too many details, leaving a large space to the painter skill
Arthur'sattitude is very well rendered and the proportions are accurate
Brian's casting is good, not much cleaning needed; just a little problem with the horsetail, easy to rectify
I will now start Arthur'sface which is very thin
Eric