Author Topic: Varnishing figures - yes or no?  (Read 4081 times)

redman

• Associate
Re: Varnishing figures - yes or no?
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 11:26:18 AM »
Putting the issue of potentially dulling down colours, one of the very best matt varnishes is "Testor's Dullcote", which is so good it can be applied as a light final spray after a protective layer of satin or similar. I've used it on all my figures for many years, - can also subsequently use a satin or gloss over metal parts etc if want those to reflect the light more.

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
PJ: thank you for sharing this experiences.... I would love to try to check durability by mild soap  :) .... I have some side figures in painted in different stages which I am using for this kind of experiments. I ll do photos to share  :)
OK, good luck. Be sure to dry them well!
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

fesak_j

• Associate
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 07:10:34 PM »
PJ: thank you for sharing this experiences.... I would love to try to check durability by mild soap  :) .... I have some side figures in painted in different stages which I am using for this kind of experiments. I ll do photos to share  :)

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
I can't see any harm done unless you use a stiff brush and scrub - neither of which you are doing.

On some of my rounds,  I have even used mild soap and water to remove decades of dust that I could not brush off. I don't recommend it, but the cleaning does not seem to have hurt the figures.

I think the painted surface of our figures is fairly durable, and certainly can withstand gentle dusting and reasonable care. At least that's my experience.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

fesak_j

• Associate
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 05:43:00 AM »
PJ: thank you  :)  very useful tips for me (as well as for others I hope). Currently I m using somekind of soft brush for women s face as I did not find softer in hobby tools and it works. However can brushing the dust off harm the paint(not after a few times) I mean after the ages(10y? or more). Probably not if I will not brush it so often  ??? , maybe once a year should be OK. One could not believe how many dust can settle after a few months to that tiny base with the name of producer.     

aba

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 02:10:32 PM »
Dear Erich,

actually I don't have a fixed time but I do spray them after several weeks or even months when oils have dried completely.

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 11:38:58 AM »
Hi PJ, thank you so much for the opinion. Honestly, a couple days back I have decided to follow the way without varnishing as Mike Taylor advised via interview - so I fully agree with your last words.
Anyway, you have pointed out my other issue - the dust. For that reason I'm going to order 2x custom frames (one for an older project and for the current project) with removable glass.
The problem with glass, in my opinion, is that is obscures the flat and creates reflections - even non-reflective glass.  Let me suggest that if dust is a concern: Buy a very large, soft  artists' brush. Spray it with an anti-static spray for laundry (I use Static Guard easily available in the States, but I'm sure there are other equivalents where you live.). Let the spray dry thoroughly. Dust gently with the paintbrush. I do this process before I pack my figures to travel to a show. It has always worked well for me.

While dust will settle in the ridges and crevasses of flats, my theory is that the chief cause of dust is static electricity that builds up over time. The treated brush removes this charge and neutralizes the flat - which is metal after all - against future accumulation. No scientific proof of this - just my own anecdotal experience.  Do what works for you, but enjoy your work.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 06:27:52 AM »
Alexander,
how long must the figures dry until you can use the Mattlack ??

Erich

aba

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »
I can recommend Marabu_Mattlack which I use now for 15 years.

First aspect is to protect the painting. But the more important thing is to achieve an equal appearance of the surface. Sometimes darker colors will have a more shiny appearance than the lighter colors . With its help this can be brought to a similar mat surface. Same with older figures which have sometimes a glossy surface.

fesak_j

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
Hi PJ, thank you so much for the opinion. Honestly, a couple days back I have decided to follow the way without varnishing as Mike Taylor advised via interview - so I fully agree with your last words.
Anyway, you have pointed out my other issue - the dust. For that reason I'm going to order 2x custom frames (one for an older project and for the current project) with removable glass.

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
This is certainly a personal decision, and there is no right or wrong answer. Each painter has to decide for him/her -self. However, let me offer a dissenting view.

Varnish definitely affects the look of the final product, and in my opinion reduces the highs and lows resulting in a generally "flat" appearance which takes the "pop" out of the painting. If you are willing to accept that as a trade-off for the protection, I can't argue with you. I don't accept that. I'd rather be a little more careful with the finished flats.

In some 20+ years of painting, transporting and showing flats without varnish I have yet to damage one. I paint with oils, so I can't speak for acrylics, but I assume they are the same or nearly the same durability as oils if fully dried. These pieces are very durable even if dropped on their face.

I do not use glass on my frames. I do try to use a deeper frame, but many of my frames are fairly shallow, so the flat is "out there" and unprotected. For normal display and handling, I have yet to experience even a  nick. When traveling, I put each frame in plastic bag, having first covered the flat itself with a piece of tissue to protect against rubbing in transit. Never a problem. Dusting? I used a soft paintbrush.

My point is -  with a little care, there is very little worry of damage; so why diminish the beauty of your piece by varnishing it?
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 05:36:19 AM »
Thank you very much, Oleg!  Will try to get this in Germany

Erich

oleg

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 06:52:02 PM »
Sorry Erich for the delay I was a little busy.
Oleg

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
Dear Oleg,
can you please post a picture or an article - number of the matt spray you are using

Thank you!
Erich

fesak_j

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 02:10:01 PM »
thank you so much for tips and hints :) :) :)  .... I will consider all options