Author Topic: Size of flats  (Read 2109 times)

Re: Size of flats
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:32 PM »

Now lets stop and take a deep breath :o   There are a lots of scales to choose from  ???  To be frank with you all. Its up to you to what scale you want. There is no such thing as one scale fits all. Now if you are set on every thing being spot on then brake out the wire and build a wire man and work from the feet up. Also now there is 3D Printing which is very nice and well done. This could be the answer to lead figures. I know the war games guys are using them and the stuff is great. Second you have to remember that you have to produce figures that are going to sell just like planes, trains, ships, armor. I would say that todays generation want it now and no work . We are lucky in this club we are old school and know a thing o two.  8)  Willie

kroi

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:51:39 PM »
  Another one is of course 28 mm, the classical Heinrichsen-size.

Brian

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:07:44 AM »
Is there a scale for the figures?   size of 30mm but then one idea of 30mm is differant to another idea
The same with the bigger figures, one editors 54mm is different to another, there just dose not seem to be a "scale" that is followed

And why are cavalry always to small to go with foot figures from the same set in 30mm  ?? 

louis

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:47:11 AM »
Howdy Willie,

Thanks for your input!

Yes, it’s tricky sometimes to incorporate a figure into a certain scale. I just finished one which is exactly 57 mm from eye to sole. Maybe it should be a 55 mm?  ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »

Louis welcome to the world of scale modeling :o One thing that I can say is I got into scale with my Dad and Brother in model railroading. At that time it was 1/4 scale followed by Ho in the late 50 /60 My Dad  built a 1/4 or O scale  Circus  8)   I am looking forward to seeing some results   Willie

louis

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks Michel!

I should have said scale instead. I meant when measuring the accepted way, from eye to foot sole. What accepted scales are there for the flats?
I am writing an article on the subject and enclose one of my pictures here, showing the measuring method.

/Louis   

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »
You may have also 45mm, 75mm, 80mm, 90mm, 105mm, 115mm, 120mm, 130 and 135mm, 140mm, 160mm

I have constituted several Power Point files wigh pictures of flats per size families, so I have these measures in mind (several thousand flats).

However the size is not always defined on the same manner.

The 'size' is usually defined as the distance of a character from the foot to the eye level.

But it is also given as total height Total height, of the character, or total height of a bust, or total height of a group of people, from lowest point to highest point.

One example= if the character is sitting, it would not be the 'extended size of the person supposely upright, ( eyes to foot), but the total height of the scenery.

Some people on horse too are sometimes defined as total height, top head '(or helmet or hat), to floor, or by the size, = height of the human person from foot to eye.  You might have a knight of horse sold as 130 mm total height, or 54mm size (of the person himself).

Busts could also be given is reduction fraction of a standard human body, like for figures (1/10, 1/16, .. equivalent to 200mm, ....). 

(Also that flats made in the USA are not in mm but in inches or their fractions, and correlation to the metric system is even more complex).
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

louis

• Associate
Size of flats
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »
I would like to know how many different sizes there are of flat tin figures. I know of 20 mm, 30 mm, 40 mm, 55 mm, and 100 mm. But then I have a number of big figures that measure e.g. 65, 70 and 110 mm, respectively.

But how many and which are the recognized sizes?