Author Topic: Greetings from the UK.  (Read 2829 times)

Salter

• Associate
Re: Greetings from the UK.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
Midge
had to Antique a flat similar in size of waterloo for a trophy.The way it was achieved was as follows.
Start assuming Gold with a total coverage of adar kcolour such as Tin blitz by citadel or gold with red brown to burnt umber make sure it dry
Then with a reasonabl sized brush dry brush over the whole piece with a lighter gold.When satisfied to finish off drybrush with a sivery gold
Once dry decide if you want to varnish wit a Satin finish.
For a Silver effect start withBolt gun Metal Citadel or silver and Black then lighten as you wish with silver
Hope this helps
Dave

Midge

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated.
I know that the Hougoumont Vignette is a complex group but I have
quite a bit of experience in painting figures and resin "Garage kits"
which also means I have plenty of brushes and loads of acrylics
and other modelling tools in my possession already.
Advice I'm looking for at the moment is how do you frame the flats
for display and what medium would you guys recommend for ageing
or antiquing flats rather than painting them as I would like to give some
of those types as gifts to friends.

Midge

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
 Welcome to are happy group of misfits ::)  Ok the first thing you need is brushes, paints, a bottle of  Brandy  :o helps keep the hands and eyes steady when painting. Next lots and lots of books on uniforms :o  Lots and lots of  Flats so the floor can bend from the weight. Make sure that the One Who Must be Obeyed is ok with your hobby 8)  This can be done with a new car, dinners, etic .If you have Kids they can help support your habit.  ::)  Ex Army. 8)  Me ex Navy ;D  So welcome and have fun. Willie

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
Hello midge. Welcome to the group! Let us know if you have any questions about anything. The gates of hougomont is a very complex group flat so please don't get discouraged.  There are a lot of exciting but less complex topics to choose from for beginners.
New York

Midge

• Associate
Greetings from the UK.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:01:27 AM »
Hi All

My name is Midge and I live in the city of Lincoln.  I have been aware of flats since the 70's when I used to do a bit of 25mm wargaming and modelling of 54mm Napoleonic figures. I am an Army veteran and last year became involved in an archaeological project at Hougoumont Farm which is part of the Waterloo battlefield. This gave me back my interest in military history and as I was searching for images of Hougoumont online I found a picture of the "Closing of the Gates" vignette.  I knew straight away that I had to have one, all of which led me to this forum with a view to learning and interacting with other enthusiasts.  I look forward to contributing to the forum and learning as much as I can about painting and collecting Flat figures.

Midge.