Author Topic: Hello, question for first flats to paint.  (Read 4110 times)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Re: Hello, question for first flats to paint.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
Hi Mark,

Just catching up, how are you doing? have you managed to paint anything yet? looking forward to see some of your art.

Nicholas

Mark Carter

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »
Thanks.  I bought some Golden Open acrylics (longer working time than regular acrylics to let me blend better).  I took the palette from Mr. Bistulfi's how-to here on the site.  Any suggestions for other colors would be appreciated!

Raw umber
Quin. Magenta
Phthalo blue (like Windsor blue)
Cad. yellow medium
Cad. red medium
Titanium white
Neutral gray
Yellow ochre
Burnt umber
Burnt sienna
Bone black

I have tools for my other miniatures to clean up the metal.  I figure I'll spray prime both sides with rattle-can white, then try 1) block painting with craft acrylics, using the Golden's for final coloring and blending, and 2) just using the Goldens to add the color.  I'll carry over the painting slightly around the edges of the flat to make it appear there's color on the other non-painted side.

Hannibal

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 03:24:12 AM »
Mark,

I was painting on both sides during the first months of last year, but:
1) I wished to improve rapidly, meaning spend a lot of time on each flat rather than painting many for large dioramas and painting the 'other side' would doble the time for each piece!
2) I would never expose them sitting on a table, but in a frame, therefore the chance to show the other side is very much close to zero, so why painting always them. 
3) They all have one side presenting much better han the other and if eeded (like the hoplire I am exposing, I would paint a second same flat turned on the other side but this is more exceptional
4) Unlike the past, nowadays casting, except with some good producers in 30mm size has a lower quality (experience, aging of the moulds, large amounts instead of high quality for less) at the edges, misalignment of the two moulds, resuting in a lot of filing work; le mislignent of the twi loukls-ds frces you to sacrifice détails on one side to remove the burrs on the other one, therefore selection of the 'best' side is also an element for painting one side only.
Actually after filing, préparing and cleaning, I spray the back side, and bottm with two thin layers of matte black acrylic painting; before starting the priming of te 'to-be-painted' face with diluted1:3 Humbrol diluted 1:3 (the first thin an very dluted layer, allows to immediately detect some final defects of filing, microholes,whcih escaped visual enklarged inspection of the metallic flat...)
Only decision to do = for dioramas, between two fighting communities, tray to systématically choose the same side for the given party, and fix the light source in the same direction (for me upfront left above) if exposed together, unless intentional.

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
Mark,

Feel free to post your progress and ask for advice.  You will always get some informed opinion when it is solicited which is a great way to learn.  Good luck on the Confederates!

mark  8)
Site Admin

Mark Carter

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
Hannibal, I gotta laugh at myself:  It never occurred to me that I didn't necessarily have to paint both sides.   ;D   

I ordered a selection of slouch-hat Confederates from Mr. Bock today.  I'll post updates on this project if that's OK.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
The aforementioned blu-tac on the bottom of a pill bottle is also quite handy. You can also cut a slit in apiece of corrugated box cardboard and slip the flat's casting base into it. Easy ...and cheap. Both can be easily turned upside down to paint hard to get areas.

Glen

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
All great Ideas 8)   What ever you like then that's the one for you. Willie

Hannibal

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:29:32 AM »
You can read the post here: http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?topic=1517.0
It also dépends whetehr you wish to paint one side or the two sides. I paint one, to expose in a frame personally.
It is useful to select a small light support so that you can hold it in the hand, turn it upside-down or sideways to access surfaces easier.  Many people use simply a piece of cardboard in which a small slit is done for te base, and subject is fixed with a small ball of blue tac to keep it at 2mm away from the surface.  My wife uses a cut-to-size piece of light "carton plume (in French) = white 5mm thick ultra light plastic carbard, spayed with matte black (like Citadel black acrylic bomb).

I a using wodden supports of various sizes, with a bottom piece tigthening the flat by two screws.  If thee is no base, just two pieces of blue tac on the back are enough.

But others perfer a fixed support on the table , question of habits gained by one or another. Advantage of small portable support is yu can enclose them in plastic boxes during the work tokeep them away from dust, particles, hair and ... damages, when you paint a few in parallel.

If painted to sided, I just use the cap of a plastic bottle, and fix the flat with blue tac on it,  cut the head of the bottle and screw the cap on this wide and light support for stability and holding in my left hand.  Unscewing the cap allows to store, keep in boxes easily if several are painted at same time....

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Mark Carter

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Thanks, all!  I've painted 15mm, 1/72, 28mm and 54mm round figures sporadically.  It's been about a year since I was at the painting bench though.   :'(    For the small figures I use acrylics entirely (craft acrylics available cheaply in the US).  For larger figures I use a mix of acrylics and oils (mostly Winton and Old Holland, although I find the Old Holland difficult to work with).  I won't say I'm very good, and at 52 I definitely use magnification and just the right mix of tea and pipe tobacco to keep the hands steady! 

I appreciated the advice on 54mm flats, and I'll look at the other links.  This is likely to take months though, a lot going on in my life which gets in the way of painting anything.  Do you guys know of any resources I could look at for work surfaces / figure holders?  For round figures I use PVA glue and large garden nails, which I keep in a holder I made for the purpose.  I don't suppose that would work for flats, but what kind of surface should I get?  Could I use one of these:  http://www.bestbookstand.com/

I figure I could use poster putty to hold one side of the flat to a piece of cardboard and put that on the bookstand.  They're really adjustable, I have 2 for reading.

Again thanks everybody!

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
Hi Mark,

some very good advise already given ;)

you have just passed the first test ;D  always choose good quality figures.

As Glen said, I presume you have either painted before, or you have very young eyes as your first subjects are in 30 mm  :D

I look forward to seeing you start posting the progress of paint on tin, if you need any help, just ask
we are all here to help  :)

Nicholas

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
Hi Mark,

You don't say if you have any experience in painting figures or if you use oils or acrylics. Either way, the mechanics of painting are the same - color mixing, brush control, blending, layering, etc. Light direction is a key factor in pulling off the 3D effect. Many use a wash of light coming from the top front; others put the light to one side or the other. I tend to go upper left and front (not sure if my being a southpaw has anything to do with that). All these require some planning on your part in where to place highlights and shadows.

I think to lessen the frustration factor, simple (and inexpensive) 30mm US Civil War pieces are the the way to go. Get at least two - basic CSA and Federal infantrymen in action poses - from the Bock catalog that Mark posted below. You will have a variety of materials (cloth, wood, leather, metal) to paint. Work up to the cavalry pieces to learn horse painting (did that myself with a Thirty Years' War piece).

Once you are satisfied - relatively speaking; few, if any, are fully satisfied with their results - then work up to the mounted knights, heraldry, and banners. Baby steps first, then walk, then run...

Cheers,

Glen

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
Hello Mark,

The plus and minus of flats, so many choices.

American Civil War has some nice colorful figures with the Wilken figures you showed are very nice.  Also there is a great range for this time period from Zinnfiguren Bock as well which paint up beautifully.

http://www.intflatfigures.org/BFFS/Vendor%20Catalog/Bock/

If you lean toward trying heraldry you might think about starting with a larger size?  Western Miniatures has three 54 mm flats of Richard III, Henry Tudor or James IV as well as some 30 mm knights with banners from Bosworth. Quadri Concept also has some nice large knights as well.

http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=370
http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=443
http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2421

Just paint what you are passionate about and remember to have fun. Lots and lots of painted examples here to see what strikes you fancy.

Plus lots of friendly advice as well.

mark 8)
Site Admin

Mark Carter

• Associate
Hello, question for first flats to paint.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:05 PM »