Author Topic: Books  (Read 104874 times)

snagy

Re: Books
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
Hi Willie,
yes you are right.
Gyozo Somogyi is a well decorated Hungarian graphic artist and painter and really he made a series of richly and vividly illustrated booklets that cover the main periods of the Hungarian warfare  (dresses) up to 1848.
E.g. on this link you can find a vendor (or course there are several ones):
http://www.magyarmenedek.com/products/9551/Matyas_kiraly_hadserege_1458-1526_-_Somogyi_Gyozo.htm
They are English.
The prices vary about 8-10 Euro each.
According to my  judgement they are useful for those who are interested in these topics.
The booklets have more pictures and less text than the Osprey.
Unfortunately a part of the booklets are sold out, so one can hunt up them second hand only.
If you have some particular interest I can check or help to find the book.
Best regards-
Sandor

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
  I have a question for are members who live in Hungary? Do you know of a series of books by Gyozo Somogyi they say that there are like Ospreys both in Hungarian and English. How would rate them. Second question is The Chota Sepoy still being printed? it was a series on the Indian Army it was from The British Model Soldier Society.  Willie

Roger

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Thanks Willie. I've located a copy of the book here in the UK and for a good price too.  :D
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
  Roger and Gerry. The man cave took a bet of time and is a bet of a tight fit but it came out good :o My work bench had to move to the garage witch  worked out well. I have a nice table witch I covered with a sheet of plexiglas :o so if I spill anything I can clean it up. I have small desk draw box where I store my tools and paint. So when I am done painting its packed away and I cover my lights and Put my work under a large glass cloche to keep the dust of it :o. For the book I do not have it, but I would like to get it. I have one on the Mexican Army called the Mexican Soldier 1837-1847 by Joseph Hefter  was print in 1958 and reprinted in 2008. While I was staying at my wifes daughter house weighting to move into are condo. I received some books that I had on order.
  The first one An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of World War II. The book is  designed to take a look at uniforms of the different powers. Do too space limitations ,Air forces and Navies ,Partisans, Guerrillas, where left out.  Other wise I think its is a great book to use when painting. I wish these guys would come out on one about the 7 years war. Second from Andrea is US Elite Forces Uniforms, Equipment and personal Items Vietnam 1965-1975. This is a outstanding book lots of stuff in it about uniforms, some of which I had when I was over there and witch are now in the Virginia War Museum at New Port News. Third and one of the most interesting books I have read it War on the Waters by James M. McPherson . I was reading this book for a talk I was going to give at the Civil War Round Table Society of Pam Beach FL. If any of you are interested in the Civil War this is the book covers the Union and Confederate Navies 1861-1865. Also I checked it out from the Libray :o :o Willie     

Roger

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:07 AM »
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »

Roger

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
Willie, you don't happen to have this book in your collection do you?
CRONICA DEL TRAJE MILITAR EN MEXICO. Del siglo XVI al XX.

http://www.amazon.com/CRONICA-MILITAR-MEXICO-espa%C3%B1ol-franc%C3%A9s/dp/B007SEODGI?tag=viglink25434-20

Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

gerry Larkin

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
Hi Willie
You will have the pleasure of myself and young Nicholas Ball at Valley forge in May
 so looking forward to catching up you  and talking books flats etc!!, and if the Hawaiian
shirt mob are on line, Patrick and co, chime in!!  Now tell me Young man is that man cave you  have, enough room for all your vast  book collection?,  Happy new Year Willie ....   Gerry.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
 Happy New Year to you all  ;D I am now in the Man Cave smaller then I had before but it will do. Last year was a strange one for new books coming out :o It seemed like they would never come and some it took almost a whole year. My next thing well be a talk about the Union Navy in the Civil War at the Civil War Round Table.  I will let you know how that goes. At the end of this month will be the South Florida Toy Soldier Club show. Willie 

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
Just one week left and I am in my new man cave. It has been a long year and I wish everyone in are club a Marry Christmas and a great new year. Willie

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Hi gang ;D Just one more month and we are in the Condo  ;D,but this has not stopped me from ordering books and having them delivered  to my step Daughters house in FL. First off for all you British Army Equipment fans out there British Military Respirators & Anti Gass Equipment of the two World Wars brand new . Second and a very nice book is Das Kuk 1895 The Imperial Army by Oska Buch in German but the color work in the back of the book is great. Now the last one is By Andrea publishing about the US Special Forces in Vietnam outstanding book with lots and lots of color on uniforms and equipment. Willie

alfsboy

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2015, 04:20:17 AM »
I have the Eduard Wagner book though the German version .Its a great book for 30 years war right down to cooking utensils .

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
 So now to bring you all up to date. I have packed up some of my books and put them in storage and  the man cave floor raised about six inches  :o. The Condo is on the market. But not to get sad I am still picking up reading material ;D The latest is in my Indian Army section.  Sons of John Company The Indian & Pakistan Armies 1903-1991 By John Gaylor lots of information in this book about the regiments of the Indian Army. While I was out visiting my daughter I happen to go into a small shop that had military items from around the world and I came across two very interesting items witch  I bought.  :o  They go on your shoulder straps . 1  92 Punjabis infantry. 2 K.A.R.  I know what they are lets see if you know what they are ::). Willie

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
 Arrived today Officers and Soldiers of French Dragoons Volume 2 :o  Lots and lots of color plates Histoire & Collections did a great job.. If I where a betting man I would say that Volume 3 should be coming soon Willie

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
For all you 30 years war people out there I received this book today. European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648 By Eduard Wagner. This is a reprint of the original  Hard Back Book witch runs about $60.00 I first saw this book advertised on the miniatures page or the war games page. This book is geared to the war gamer but there is a lot information for the flat painter, most of the prints are copies from the Hard Back Book. It is still a good deal . It is printed by Winged Hussar publishing Willie