Author Topic: Charles the Bold  (Read 6043 times)

Re: Charles the Bold
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:02:08 PM »
Interesting observation and discussion comparing to stained glass windows.  I like that observation but the "heavy lining" is exacerbated, as you mention, by the small scale and enlarged photos.  Also, the subtleties in color between face shadow and clothes shadow is hard to distinguish even though the photos are enlarged.  I, too, think the style works well.
JBA

Hannibal

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 02:46:06 PM »
To open a discussion with several other members, I hope, it is not easy to start a discussion:

Indeed, you have a painting style that has not been imitated, so personal, which is your signature, your trademark, I would say.
It gives the subjects treated an intensity to each character and gets an impact only when you combine several characters together, more than individually.

The heavy lining 6between colours and body parts is giving the sensation of these stain glasses we observe in christian churches.  What is perhaps reduced is the tri-dimensional sensation more developed by the combination of lightenings and shadows which are here reduced to the minimum. 
One can only do comparison between the two styles, not bring comments on improving or changing without having to affect this stainglass quality.*
Some lights and shadows do exist, but to a minimum, like the stain glasses on large uniform surfaces like the tents and barrels.

It is a choice, giving to the whole of your work a strong unity and style , very pleasant to look at, also because visibility of the characters at such a small scale is clear and neat.

This heavy black lining prevents you also to paint casted shadows top down or from protubing arms, weapons on bodies and horses.

The last picture appears to me a bit underexposed, giving some dark characters, and rendering the scenery a bit sad,[size=78%] and the characters not distiguisable from each others.  [/size]

you could perhaps paint them with different 'values' of  from each other, i.e. the characters upfront the scene generally clearer than characters staying behind who would be painted darker, to give some depth to the scene, as you can't change their size, and the painted light indicates a zenithal lightening.

Good work !!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 05:19:47 AM by Hannibal »
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Christoph

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
Hello,
I have painted some more figures for that project including a tent by Glorious Empiers, looking forward to do some more in the next time.
Christoph

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »
Beautifully painted set, great to see!
JBA

Christian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »
Hi Christoph,

Well done, nice project and Your nice painting again :)

BG Christian
Christian, Kettwig (Germany)
Privatoffizin Kettwiger Zinnfiguren / Kettwiger tin figures

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:08:50 AM »
Christoph these are excellent and yes it has been very quiet.  A more lively set of discussions would be most welcome.

mark
Site Admin

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
Hi Christophe,  Yes, you're right, we all stop posting, however I am painting every day, slow, slow speed.
OK, I will post some of the flats I was painting during the past weeks and days, hopefully also to re-activate a bit the activities on the forum.
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Christoph

• Associate
Charles the Bold
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 03:48:53 AM »
Hello,
what´s going on here? Many people stopped posting here and I really miss that. So I´m going to post some pictures and hope other will follow.

At the moment I´m working on some figures showing Charles the Bold putting on his armor in his camp at Murten. In the centre of the scene I`m going to place some figures edited by Mr. Stoll, showing Charles himself and some servants and knights.

Around this set I´m planning to add some more figures which I started to paint now. Here´s a knight edited by Mr. Fechner and a banner edited by Mr Lehnart.

Christoph