Author Topic: Books  (Read 105063 times)

Erich

• Associate
Re: Books
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Willie, to order the sudan figures please send me an email      egrootens@gmx.de
Unfortunately there are restrictions from the german post in case of covid 19
and I cannot ship a small box into the USA at the moment.

Shipment should be possible after September, 15th. Then it will be shipped as
seafreight and therefore will need 25 to 3o days until it arrived.
I am sorry to have no better news in this case.

Erich

« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »
Ever since I read about those Sudan Figures. I went threw my Library and found some books that might help in painting.

1. Tradition Magazine from the 60's-70's Several articles on the Sudan War very nice art work in B/W

2.  For the paint slinger ' The Men Arms Series

1. #59 The Sudan Campaigns 1881-98

2. #215 Queen Victoria Enemies vol #2 North Africa

3. # 198 The British Army on Campaign 1881-1902 vol 3

4. # 201 The British Army on Campaign  1882-1902 vol 4

3.  Hard Back Books

1. The last Charge The 21st Lancers and the Battle of Omderman 1898 By Terry Brighton

2.An Illustrated Encyclopedia  of Military uniforms of the 19th Century By Digby Smith

This should keep you  :P  from going nuts.  Let me know where I can order those Thanks Willie

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2020, 05:28:49 AM »
There are 2 good books about this theme:   John Julius Norwich   The Kingdom in the Sun   Vol. 1 and 2
available in German language too   (J. J. Norwich    Die Normannen in Sizilien )
not a bad read if anyone is interested in medieval history - and the Osprey - Volume will provide the pictures to all the text
It is a mostly forgotten part of history, because the rule of the normans was only for a short time

Brian

« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2020, 04:44:55 AM »
Normans in Italy!  now there's a thing  ;)

« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
Well I just got my last book on German pioneer troops 1871-1914 by Jens Nguyen Verlag Publishing and it is a outstanding book. Second two osprey Men at Armies titles  Japan Asian Allies 1941-45, The Normans in Italy 1016-1194 Willie

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
So I just got The German Artillery from 1871 to 1914 by Ulrich Herr and Jens Nguyen by Verlag Publishing one more to go on pioneer troops and the series well be done . Uniformi  fregi e distintivi delle organkzzazioni giovanili  del partito nazionale fascista this covers all there uniforms I had seen this book over 40 years ago in Naples . Also Osprey Men at Arms series is coming out with new ones . Willie

snagy

« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2020, 12:33:54 AM »
Thank you for the synopsis, Willie!
 ;D
Take care-
Sandor

« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
OK that was Armies in the War of 1812 sorry about that

« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:44 PM »
OK last is Armies of the ear of 1812 by Gabriele Esposito geared towards war games but still good information on uniforms and then the century of the soldier series by Helion & Company  some neat titles So good reading

« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
OK here we go :o  First is Soldati d Africa Vol 1 Four more to go lots of information on the Italian Army in Africa . Next is Canadian Military Heritage all 3 volumes a nice set. Next would be Guns of the Gurkhas lots of information on there weapons.For are ancient readers The Chariot by Arthur Cotterell  very informative. The art of Renaissance Warfare by Stephen Turnbull. For the Naval group  Die Uniformen der k.k.later under kuk later,-ungar Kriegsmarine 1797-1918 by Erwin Steinbock nice book

snagy

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:39 PM »
Yes, Christoph it is the Wagner's work.
I have it in German language, bought at the and of the 1970's years "Ars Bella Gerendi" was the title at that time.
Really an amazing work on the soldiers life of the TYW time.
Sandor

Christoph

• Associate
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »
Hello Willie,
is "European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648" written by Eduard Wagner? If yes this is a reprint of an old book from around 1960 and still one of the best books you can get on this subject!
Christoph
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:19:51 AM by Christoph »

Brian

« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2020, 02:28:01 AM »
Stay well and safe my old friend.

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
 From a Bunker hidden deep in the Earth of VA I bring my latest book up date. I now have a copie of European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648 HB to replace my PB one. The Art work in much better in this book ;D Next is Outline of English Costume By Doreen; Yarwood, A nice little book for English Costumes. Now for are 19th century American painters  American Horse Drawn Vehicles By Jack D Rittenhouse . I went threw this and showed my Daughter. Most of the equipment I had seen as a kid . As' I got older I cleaned them and my Dad let me drive a couple. I think that I knew ever wagon in  Western Movies.  :o If you are interested go on the Web and look for Fat Jones Stables. Last is Hinterland Warriors; and Military Dress By Thomas S Abler.. So that's about it for now hope you are keeping safe and are in good health. Yes I would go back to work in the movies with my Father ;D in a heart beat.Willie

« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:08 AM »

To my fellow club members. Boy do I have a book for you all.  The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook.  :o This books covers the following

1. Escape from Quicksand
              2. Escape from Killers Bees
              3. Wrestle an Alligator
              4. Land a Plane
              5. How to fend off a Shark
              6. How to jump from a moving car
              7. How to Identify a Bomb
              8. How win a sword fight 

and much more It is by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht PB printed by Chronicle Books . Caution Book will Explode if scanned ::)   This has given me a idea to write a book for figure painters The Worst Case Scenario for Figure painters ::) ::) If you have any ideas let me know ;D Willie