Author Topic: One Side or Both Sides?  (Read 1624 times)

Hannibal

Re: One Side or Both Sides?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 03:32:04 PM »
YES ! of course ...
I am undercoating the backside with acrylic black to prevent any light reflection from the background ... (spray).  You can then paint the characteristics of the editor, engraver, your own signature and painting year in a  clearer colour, not visisble on posting in a frame!
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

socko47

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »
Enjoyed your figures and the nice paint job. The latest issue of The Scabbard from MMSI, available on line for free, is all about box dioramas, especially Shep Payne's work. On page 13 he is quoted as follows:Shep wasn’t kidding when he advised box builders not to worry about what isn’t seen: The back of the flag is not only not painted, it’s not even finished!
So forget the side no one will ever see. I think it would be important to prime it.

John Hoffmann

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
Sound advice.
Fantastic painting Hannibal!
Thanks everyone.

Hannibal

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 06:13:21 PM »
Ghank you PJ.
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 01:47:00 PM »
Do what you enjoy. BTW, nice work, Michel!!
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Hannibal

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »
Thank you John.
Michel
_______

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 09:29:54 AM »
Hannibal that is a really nice paint job.  The flats look really good.
JBA

Christoph

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »
Both sides of course!
I only painted a figure on one side years ago and feeling terrible wrong with that.

Christoph

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 03:01:31 PM »
I have only painted ONE flat on both sides, because I found only one flat of the subject and found the two sides very interesting to paint ....

I present my painted flat in frames, not on a table, and therefore nobody would ever see the back (painted in black).
Today two sided flats allow you to choose the side that fits you the best.  And if you wish to paint two warriors or knights or horsemen facing and fighting with each other, you have to decide who will be on the left and who on the right side.

And like you, at 77 life is becoming too short to paint a side that nobody will ever look at.... So I paint one side to paint twice more characters in the same time !!!

Mode is changing , many and more flats are one-sided, it makes them also cheaper in engraving/drawing.

We dont paint on canvas on the two sides either ! ....

Note: When I wish to paint and show the two side of the same subject, I buy twice the same figure and paint them both on their opposed side!!!

For example, I painted on the left and the right of the flag bearer two pairs of the same flat ... for framing the serie....

Michel
_______

John Hoffmann

One Side or Both Sides?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 01:18:03 PM »
Like many of us here I fear that I have far more flats than I will ever get around to painting.
Now in my old(er) age I was thinking of only painting one side, after deciding which side I want to show.
I will probably display the finished flats in a grouping, in a frame, so only one side will be seen.
And painting time will be cut in half.;-)
What is the general consensus here?
I hope that I have not opened the "can of worms" debate.
Thanks