Author Topic: Books  (Read 104877 times)

gerry Larkin

Re: Books
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:43 AM »
Ive got this book,  Willie some years back, its about the best book on the subject, I also recommend Mystic Warriors of the Plains by Mr Mails, same format , so thats a big Book, got mine From Amazon many years ago, still be best book IMHO.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
Some years ago I had seen a set of Apache Indians. Also we have had talks about how the planes Indians Dressed . Well I just received a book today that I think is one of the best on the subject of the Apaches. It is called The People called Apache, large format book by Thomas Emails 1993. This will give you a idea on what the Apaches where and how they lived. Also the  Osprey books are good to have . The Apaches and American Indians of the southwest. So this should help out in painting and engraving . Willie

Brian

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 02:49:03 AM »
Now that will be handy ;) thanks Willie

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
The New Journal has a group of Yeomanry Drum Figures from Western Miniatures. It was stated that it would be nice to paint them and did any one know what the drum banners looked like. Will its your lucky day. The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914  #14 Yeomanry Drum Banners and Mounted Bands has the answer. The book is by R.G.Harris. printed in 1991. Nice B/W pictures and a fold out section of the drum banners in color. I picked my book up at amazon.com. Willie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
 This is a change from what I write about in books. While at MFCA show this weekend I bought a very nice book, from a very nice lady who was selling her husband flats and books, he had passed away. The name of the book is Medieval Costume Armor and Weapons by Paul Hamlyn printed in 1958. It is a very outstanding book on the subject. So if anyone could tell me more about it. Let me know Willie

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Ok wake up ???   After almost a year some of my book have arrived ::)  First we start with a small paper backs The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914 printed years ago, but with lots of information in them They are by L.Barlow  and  R.J.Smith . Another older book is War on The Nile by Michael Barthorp about the Sudan. Next two Osprey subjects. The first is The Carthaginians 6th-2nd Century BC. This is a great book to have for painting and lets hope that someone makes a set of these. Second Forces of The Hanseatic League 13th-15th Centuries. I am getting more and more interested in medieval armies. Third and last Histoire & Collections. I know what I stated before about the German Army and World War II  :P  First  is German Combat equipment in the Militaria  series, its a nice little paper back with lots of photos of equipment, it well not brake your pocket book. Second is Stonne 1940 in  the Men and Battles series. This book gives  you a over view of the battle and there are lots of good photos in it for the modeler . I am still weighting on French Artillery and Dragoons in the Officers and Men Series. So by the end of this year I just might have them. Willie

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
  So here we go :)  Die Uniformen des osterreichischen Bundessheeres 1918-1938 By Rolf M. Urrisk. When the imperial Monarchy collapsed there was no money for a new army so they used what was at hand. This book covers the changes that took place in that 20 year period. Lots of nice color pictures in the book. There is a series of 7 books and this one is #6 covering uniforms. It is well worth the money for a book like this.  As for other books not much has come out.  :-\ It seems that publishers are not listening to what the public wants ???  I know they have to make money and they fall back on the good old German Army 1933-1945 :P but I am over that. So if any of you have an idea about a book let me know in the form. Willie

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
 After a very long wait my book on The Armies Of Warlord China by Philip Jowett arrived today. This is the second in the series on the Chines Army the first being Soldiers of the White Sun. Lots of pictures of the period. A nice set of prints in the book. Its nice to get books like this ;D It brakes up the same old run of the mill books on Military History and Uniforms. Now a nice set of flats would be nice. Now for those who have a small pocket book or on a budget Osprey has 3 books on the Chines Army of this period 1900-1950  Willie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
 Now for you knight painters ???   A book that will help you in painting Heraldry, or drive you Nuts on trying to paint them. :P  The Dictionary of Heraldry By Joseph Foster. This book covers Feudal Coasts of Arms and Pedigrees. It has been out for some time and when you get one get the hard back version because the paper back one does not have the color in it. So if you paint knights let me know how you like the book Willie

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
 OK folks here we go ;D  First off I received a book that I had wanted for a very long time. Hungarian Army Uniforms 1939-1945 by Dr Tamas Baczoni. It is a paper back book in English and German. Lots of very nice color pictures in it. It is just enough information for painters like me to use. Also the price is right. This fills a hole in the World War II area. There is another book on this subject witch starts from 1926-1945 and is in Hungarian. Osprey has one witch is nice. While we are on the subject of Osprey I just got the following. Third is from Concord.

1. Hitler's Blitzkreig enemies 1940 Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium for a starter book is great.
                                                         2. 42cm Big Bertha and German Siege Artillery of World War 1
                                                         3. The Age of the Crusades. It is a nice book in that the art work is great who else but Angust McBride  ;D   I myself like the Mongols Russians and many more. While we are on the subject of color remember that most of the dies where natural and will range on very dark or light Willie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
Ok. Ever once and while the book fairy drops a great book off to me. This time it is Campaign 1914 By Chris Pollendine This book covers the British Tommy at the start of the war up to 1915. Lots and lot of pictures of uniforms and equipment in color. Who every collections it is it's outstanding. The second will deal with British and American made service jackets and trousers. Royal Navy square Rig, Royal Flying Corps, Gas Masks and Anti Gas equipment. Metal  helmets and gifts and rations. Yes even Bully Beef. The book is printed by Military Mode UK. This book is well worth the price. I brought mine at Amazon.com UK. If any of you get this book let me know let me know Willie 

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
 Good morning.  Since the society is painting World War I figures for the anniversary of the start of the War. I have come up with a list of some books that might help.
         1. The two Funkin books on the First World War.  For a starter set they are good covers all the countries.
         2. Osprey series. The 3 volume set on the British Army is nice but the prints are a bet washed out, but we all know that uniforms never fad in the filed :o
         3. Verlag  Militaria  nice books covers Germany Austria. French Armies
         4. Turk Askeri Kiyafetleri this book is about Turkish Army in World War I and is in Turkish. The things we do for are hobby ::)
         5.  Schiffer Publishing. American Expeditionary Forces in World War I , The Imperial Russian Army Uniforms.
         6. An Illustrated Encyclopedia of World War I Uniforms by LB publishers.
         7. La Guerra Italo,Austriaca 1915-1918 covers the Italian army and its uniforms and Equipment.
         8. Almark Publishing if you can pick up these books they are great to have to paint with ;D
         9. Histoire & Collections  French Army 1914-1918 French Tanks brand new, and the German Army 1914-1918 not printed yet.
       Now my latest addition from Military Mode Publishing is Campaign 1914 volume 1 this is going to be a outstanding book it covers the equipment of the Tommy . Lots of color pictures of the real thing. I will give a review next week when it arrives.   So if you have any Christmas money left have fun. Also for those who do not like to shop there is the web lots of good stuff they too.
        Willie

Roger

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
Yes definitely, keep them coming. :)
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Brian

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:03:58 PM »
Keep them coming Willie, it's good to have an idea of books to get ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I recently received 3 new books from Amazon.com.

1. Australian Military Uniforms 1800-1982, By Monty Wedd. It is a outstanding book lots of color prints and B& W drawings of equipment. So if you are in a rut here's your chance to bark out.
         2. Dress & Insignia of the British Army in Australia & New Zealand 1770 1870 By Ronald Montague. Nice book filled with lots of  information about the troops uniforms.
         3. The Indian Army and the Kings Enemies 1900-1947. By Charles Chenevix  Trench. A good book on the military history of the Indian Army from that period change of pace from uniform books   Willie