Author Topic: Books  (Read 107112 times)

Roger

Re: Books
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
I have this one on the way which will be very useful when I eventually get around to painting my von Droste Hussars.  :)

Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
30 foot!!!  I hear he's got an extended  ( Jumbo ) Jet, 3 welded into one. Six wings and 12 engines. ;D

0 to 180 in 14 minutes  :o

Willie does love his elephants, trust him to get a plane with the same name! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
Yes do and bring your library... ::)   Perhaps a converted bus or 30 foot moving van.

mark  8)
Site Admin

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:50 AM »
Willie, I nominate you as the Society's "LIBRARIAN". Your knowledge of printed resources never ceases to amaze.

BTW, will you make it to MFCA this year?
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
So now to get back to work. :o The third book by Gozo Somogyi  arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with it. This covers the Hungarian Soldiers in the World Wars 1914-1918,1939-1945 . It covers a lot of information and lots and lots of color plates. Not only uniforms but the Navy, Trains , Planes, River Guard, Red Regiments from the 20's World War II is covered very well. The next ones are going to be The Army of Transylvania 1559-1690 :o wonder if that comes with fangs or look into my eyes ??? . The Hungarian Military 1768-1848, Royal Hungarian Defense Force 1868-1914. Hungarian Flags. So we have a wide range of stuff for the painter. Most of these are paper back if you want a hard back, Then try the hardback book by Verlag Militaria and have deep pockets :o Willie

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »
 Sandar  :D First of all thank you  8) for the information on the books. I ordered two and they came today very fast  :o  These are some of the best ones I have seen lots and lots of color plates 8)
      1. Warriors of The Hungarian Frontier 1526-1686
      2. The Army of King Matthias 1458-1526   
       I plan to be get the others in this series  Willie. Also I will be send my dues to you all again Willie

snagy

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 01:49:13 AM »
In the meantime I've found a better vendor.
Almost all the booklets of Gyozo Somogyi are available here, furthermore on 15 % discount price:
http://bookline.hu/szerzo/somogyi-gyozo/44613
Best regards-
Sandor

snagy

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
Hi Willie,
yes you are right.
Gyozo Somogyi is a well decorated Hungarian graphic artist and painter and really he made a series of richly and vividly illustrated booklets that cover the main periods of the Hungarian warfare  (dresses) up to 1848.
E.g. on this link you can find a vendor (or course there are several ones):
http://www.magyarmenedek.com/products/9551/Matyas_kiraly_hadserege_1458-1526_-_Somogyi_Gyozo.htm
They are English.
The prices vary about 8-10 Euro each.
According to my  judgement they are useful for those who are interested in these topics.
The booklets have more pictures and less text than the Osprey.
Unfortunately a part of the booklets are sold out, so one can hunt up them second hand only.
If you have some particular interest I can check or help to find the book.
Best regards-
Sandor

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
  I have a question for are members who live in Hungary? Do you know of a series of books by Gyozo Somogyi they say that there are like Ospreys both in Hungarian and English. How would rate them. Second question is The Chota Sepoy still being printed? it was a series on the Indian Army it was from The British Model Soldier Society.  Willie

Roger

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Thanks Willie. I've located a copy of the book here in the UK and for a good price too.  :D
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
  Roger and Gerry. The man cave took a bet of time and is a bet of a tight fit but it came out good :o My work bench had to move to the garage witch  worked out well. I have a nice table witch I covered with a sheet of plexiglas :o so if I spill anything I can clean it up. I have small desk draw box where I store my tools and paint. So when I am done painting its packed away and I cover my lights and Put my work under a large glass cloche to keep the dust of it :o. For the book I do not have it, but I would like to get it. I have one on the Mexican Army called the Mexican Soldier 1837-1847 by Joseph Hefter  was print in 1958 and reprinted in 2008. While I was staying at my wifes daughter house weighting to move into are condo. I received some books that I had on order.
  The first one An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of World War II. The book is  designed to take a look at uniforms of the different powers. Do too space limitations ,Air forces and Navies ,Partisans, Guerrillas, where left out.  Other wise I think its is a great book to use when painting. I wish these guys would come out on one about the 7 years war. Second from Andrea is US Elite Forces Uniforms, Equipment and personal Items Vietnam 1965-1975. This is a outstanding book lots of stuff in it about uniforms, some of which I had when I was over there and witch are now in the Virginia War Museum at New Port News. Third and one of the most interesting books I have read it War on the Waters by James M. McPherson . I was reading this book for a talk I was going to give at the Civil War Round Table Society of Pam Beach FL. If any of you are interested in the Civil War this is the book covers the Union and Confederate Navies 1861-1865. Also I checked it out from the Libray :o :o Willie     

Roger

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:07 AM »
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »

Roger

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
Willie, you don't happen to have this book in your collection do you?
CRONICA DEL TRAJE MILITAR EN MEXICO. Del siglo XVI al XX.

http://www.amazon.com/CRONICA-MILITAR-MEXICO-espa%C3%B1ol-franc%C3%A9s/dp/B007SEODGI?tag=viglink25434-20

Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

gerry Larkin

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
Hi Willie
You will have the pleasure of myself and young Nicholas Ball at Valley forge in May
 so looking forward to catching up you  and talking books flats etc!!, and if the Hawaiian
shirt mob are on line, Patrick and co, chime in!!  Now tell me Young man is that man cave you  have, enough room for all your vast  book collection?,  Happy new Year Willie ....   Gerry.