Author Topic: F.K.Mohr Books. Which One Is Best?  (Read 3389 times)

redman

• Associate
Re: F.K.Mohr Books. Which One Is Best?
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »
I entirely agree with Hannibal that in this day and age of shared content it is surprising that there are not more collaborative efforts to catalogue editors / engravers / painters / etc.    It's easily done, and as I hinted below it is probably about time this was pushed via this Forum and others so that the institutional memories or everyone engaged in the hobby can be drawn upon before they are lost.   

Here's my current draft of my Mohr database including pictures - some of the text is a bit of a mix of German (which I speak) and English but I'm sure entirely comprehensible.   If anyone has any objections or comments on ownership of content then please let me know direct [gordon.james[at]telenet.be]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qtlEfzy-1RSXEVPnP2HijsOXsD807qdOHqI-dqqXNY4/edit#gid=746177872
Hannibal:  since we are both Brussels based, want to get together for a chat?  I'd be very interested in learning what you have.
Redman / Gordon
PS:  for Marco/Dropbox, I assume it would be for Marco to upload to Dropbox and then share the link (either here or by PM?).

Hannibal

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 04:57:19 AM »
To Redman:

I don't see a copyright issue in having a person , or a group of persons, like a Club, or Forum, collecting lists of pictures, names, editors over time and making it available to their own members registered.

I have some 28,000 pictures of painted flats on my PC, many have been loaded in the galleries, as contsts shows, or selling objects on ebay, public sites.  If we collect informatons from pub lic sites such as ebay, pictures during visits, museam and consolidate them in lists, including pictures, ... or publish a book like Rich Sandfers did with menz, where would the violation of copyright be? s we even don't make money or business wizth pupose to enrich ourselves with it?

We keep in most case track of the source and can give it, check information, correct if mistakes are detected.

I fnd the idea excellent, and I was since two days indeed excellent the idea of opening a gallery structured in smaller subcatégories for Mohr, as it could be done for others, where data, pictures can be loaded under coordination of one of us for consistency, size, lay-out.  What should be defined as I do with my pictires of the shows, is a liste of data to be listed and completed as much as possible such as Title, serie name, serie code (if applicable such as the wimor ...), editor initial, current, engravor, drawing by, soiurce information (painting, batlle, ;;;), if known list of single pice identifiaction, oerhps on  the picture itesel (the way I do on my computer, in a power point file, by period, or size, or editor, ...), and any painted versions, as Rick T? did in his book, then source of the data or picture as link or name, .....

The tables in the book of Rick is a very precious reference, the pictures unpainted and painted also, of course explanations give life. 

Such work would be the premise to the future writing of a book, and why could -we not compensate the gap of the ditirs, because too much dispersed, or changing, or almost definitively enlained into a museum?

A good discussion for the comittee of this group, and some volunteers to manage such base

I start loading meny pictures from the selling EBAy site of the collection of Hanno XXX (but not exclusively of), into several historical periods, that even within, I feel also the need to further subdivide by .. sub-period, country, significant subject (like WWII, 30 years war, ...), altough other means are mossible such as use of key words to restrict the searching, in the existing fiels, most often not used.  I can perhaps further review and use this field to load countries and significant wars, or periods..

Here as Mohr is the focus, editirs should be listed, perhaps with question mark, or certainty, or a date where loaded (for further upodating), or not known, for further update too.

You can also use many pictures from this Hanno Schmuck collection of Mohr, to move them there too.  I was not aware when loading of the engravor, but I can update if useful, when aware as periodic cleaning and upodeate , as I do with shows, when the painting description or painter name is discovred later when it was loadede with a (unknown), or question.

I used the conventions
 " name " as validated name
 (name) is the name assigned by the editor
and no sign at all is a approximate description given my myself to identify.
I did invert between no sign and "xxx" as for all other description loaded from other perons, I have no certainty whethere they assigned as approximate name, their own work totle, or a copy from the editor or translation.
But I do attempt also to give the editor's name between 'xxx' in the comments so that search func tion can also capture the picture for various interpretations of painters , with othr persnnal names assigned !!

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

John Hoffmann

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »
Hi Mark,
How do I access the "dropbox" to see the pictures of the Mohr sets?
Thanks!
John

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 07:55:15 PM »
Cool.

I believe I have the pictures from Holland Merton Modellbau which had each set shown in its entirety.  I will put them in Dropbox for you if my memory is correct.

Mark
Site Admin

redman

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »
I have slowly been collecting the Mohr figures, and have "enjoyed" hunting through all the various books and articles that I could find - plus had a little advice and help from the likes of Herr Unger, Herr Dangelmaier et al.   I have brought together what I have found (maybe not 100% accurate, but certainly a start) in a spreadsheet to which I have added photos where I could find them plus links to articles and catalogues.  A number of the pics etc are simply place-holders, including just adding snapshots from Krannich etc where this has helped me understand exactly what each set is comprised of, and as and when I find something I really prefer I change it.   I am mindful, however, of potential copyright issues even if I do try and acknowledge the source whenever I can, plus not everyone wants their own hard work captured like this.    It's OK as a personal resource but ...............

Such a thing could, however, be easily turned into a genuine Mohr "database", and attract additional comments / updates from IFFS/BSFFS members and others.  Q is how best to do this?   [I don't just want to upload it here and see what happens, but would prefer to have it as good as I can make it first.   The enemy of the good, however, is the perfect .........]

I did have the idea originally of sending it to the main editors so that they could perhaps comment on provenance / history / etc and thus make it a really useful record.  We are none of us getting any younger!
Views of members here welcomed.   See snapshot attached.

Redman

shogun

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 08:35:55 AM »
Mr. Unger in Leipzig had any sets engraved by Mohr: Deutscher Bauernkrieg, Faust, Zahnreißer and any more. Please give a email to me so I will send the catalogue (pdf).
Greetings from Saxony
Ralf

böckchen

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 03:34:18 AM »
There are 3 volumes of F.K.  Moor.  The third book is a total of his work.  So also the creation of figures cut out of sheet metal.
best regards
Wolfgang

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:39:07 PM »
Your best bet in terms of volume is Berliner Zinnfiguren - if you search on Mohr they have a large number.  Wilken also has several listed, they are in the links.  (My experience has always been the set I wanted most as the hardest to find but, I have a happy backlog now.)

Modellbau Holland Merten was a sad loss and where I did most of my purchasing.  On ebay Germany many sets are very common and they tend to come in waves, others particularly the large sets don’t show up often.  Good luck.

Mark

Site Admin

John Hoffmann

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:32 PM »
Thank you so everyone for your continuing help in my quest(s).
I am still trying to figure out Herr Mohr.
What figure goes with which set.How many figures in each set? Which are the smaller vignettes.

So much great information here on the forums.
Truly amazing. And the generous help from everyone.

The problem of course will be, where can I find the figures?
I don't want to be glued to ebay 24/7.
Maybe some members will have some sets or figures for sale.
Thanks again!
Stay safe.
John

Ed Humphreys

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:01:10 AM »
The first volume gives a history of Mohr's work (in German, of course) including descriptions of all the Wimor sets. There are colour photographs of many painted figures and monochrome shots of dioramas.
The second would probably be more useful to you. There is a comprehensive listing of Mohr's figures, grouped under the names of those who held the moulds when the book was published in 1998. Each figure from the set is briefly described, and there are line drawings of nearly all the figures. If you are interested in any particular set, I could always scan a few pages for you.
Ed H

shogun

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 05:57:34 AM »
Hi John,
the sets Ekkehard, Olympia, Alexander&Diogenes by Retter are engraved by Mohr too.
Greetings from Saxony
Ralf

John Hoffmann

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:37:28 PM »
Hi Mark,
Good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and family.
Still crazy up here and more to come.

Yes, I have been finding all the articles in the Journal using the great index. Lots of information there for sure.
I'm just learning about him and collecting as many sets as I can find.
I bought the used "Robber Barons" set from Berliner and got the last "Bauern Krieg" 2 part set also.
I don't think that these 2 sets have all the figures that I have seen from the articles in the Journal.
They have not arrived yet so I'm not sure, but I do know that not all the figures are there. You don't have any extras, do you ;-)
It's too bad about Merten Holland not staying open.

I have ordered the complete "Snow White" set from Herr Dangelmaier.
I plan to post a "want" post here to see if there are some for sale from members.
The first book is about $65. CAD plus shipping. The 2 book set is over $200. CAD so too much for me.

Anyways, got to go, late here in Ontario.
Stay well and safe my friend.
John

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 08:53:05 PM »
John have you read the two series on Mohr’s series in the BFFS Journal?  These are an excellent starting point and have many of the drawings.

I have the second Mohr book, it has some drawings but, is not comprehensive - part but not all of some sets and again not all of them.  It also has very little history on Mohr and the editors.

In terms of painted examples our gallery has dozens of them.  Mohr has some of the most delightfullly detailed 30mm figures there are.  Depending on the set I could probably name some favorites in the gallery with a few having multiple versions.  Bistulfi’s site also has beautifully painted versions of many of Mohr’s sets.

Good luck - he is one of my favorites as well.

Mark
Site Admin

John Hoffmann

F.K.Mohr Books. Which One Is Best?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 06:16:33 PM »
I have seen that there are 2 books about Franz Karl Mohr.
Vol. I and VOL. II. Both are very hard to find and they are expensive. Singly or as a set of 2.
If I could only buy one, which? Vol I or Vol II?

I would probably be more interested in seeing photos of his flats, the line drawings and/or colour photos of his series painted.
My German is not that good.
If anyone has some pictures of book pages that would be awesome.
Any advice and thoughts are always appreciated.
Thanks!