Forum > General Discussion

Varnishing figures - yes or no?

(1/4) > >>

redman:
Putting the issue of potentially dulling down colours, one of the very best matt varnishes is "Testor's Dullcote", which is so good it can be applied as a light final spray after a protective layer of satin or similar. I've used it on all my figures for many years, - can also subsequently use a satin or gloss over metal parts etc if want those to reflect the light more.

PJDeluhery:

--- Quote from: fesak_j on March 22, 2021, 07:10:34 PM ---PJ: thank you for sharing this experiences.... I would love to try to check durability by mild soap  :) .... I have some side figures in painted in different stages which I am using for this kind of experiments. I ll do photos to share  :)

--- End quote ---
OK, good luck. Be sure to dry them well!

fesak_j:
PJ: thank you for sharing this experiences.... I would love to try to check durability by mild soap  :) .... I have some side figures in painted in different stages which I am using for this kind of experiments. I ll do photos to share  :)

PJDeluhery:
I can't see any harm done unless you use a stiff brush and scrub - neither of which you are doing.

On some of my rounds,  I have even used mild soap and water to remove decades of dust that I could not brush off. I don't recommend it, but the cleaning does not seem to have hurt the figures.

I think the painted surface of our figures is fairly durable, and certainly can withstand gentle dusting and reasonable care. At least that's my experience.

fesak_j:
PJ: thank you  :)  very useful tips for me (as well as for others I hope). Currently I m using somekind of soft brush for women s face as I did not find softer in hobby tools and it works. However can brushing the dust off harm the paint(not after a few times) I mean after the ages(10y? or more). Probably not if I will not brush it so often  ??? , maybe once a year should be OK. One could not believe how many dust can settle after a few months to that tiny base with the name of producer.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version