Author Topic: getting started on flats ?  (Read 4456 times)

Re: getting started on flats ?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
I started flats painting in 2007 after visiting Kulmbach. While I never will be as accomplished as many of the members here, I did receive a lot of helpful advice most of which I've printed out and saved. As far as paint selection is concerned I use both acrylics and oils with my preference being oils. Yes they take longer to dry, but to me that's a plus as you can correct mistakes with them easier. For me that's necessary!
There are two sides to every question.

Brian

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 02:49:05 AM »

Your first flat figure will be a straight forward, not to complicated figure
I would start with a 54mm and to start with just blocking the colours then go to shading and highlights.
the detail comes next, don't worry about cast shadows they come later remember this is your first flat figure and your finding new techniques, get as much advice from your club mates and it will happen

First figure I would recommend ?  the BFFS Charles and Cromwell, not to difficult and can be painted in a variety of colours

jonsteed47

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:03 PM »
let me explain myself because  I have never done any flat but I do know a lot of people  who has painted of flat figures because I am also a member of the  Long island club and MFCA so I meet a lot of people who do paint flats .

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
He's in the Bronx - Riverdale. I'm in Westchester. Welcome! Great to see another flats enthusiast in NY.
New York

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
Welcome
Not much to add to what has already been said except :
Do not start with too big a figure, bigger is the figure more the painting errors appears !
It is a very good idea to get in touch with Jim Horan but when I met him a few years ago he lived in the Bronx, not Brooklyn; but he might have moved...
Eric

oleg

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
Hi Joinsteed47,
my friend Jim Horan also resides in Brooklyn. He is one of the best painters of flat figures and also has a good collection of figures. If you want to contact him please send me your e-mail or contact phone number.
Oleg Sokruto
Toronto
osokruto@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »

First I would get one 30mm ,54mm, 20mm flat and see which scale you like ::)  As for paint I use acrylic and oils both. In fact I use acrylic mat craft paint from Walmart 50 cents a bottle  :o to paint my flats and foundry 28mm figures. In other words use what you are happy with. Second this is a hobby and not a foot race to see how many medals you can get :o . So welcome to the club and happy painting :o  Willie   

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »
Agreed.  I think loving the subject matter is the most important aspect of your first flat over everything else.  Fortunately there is a wealth of options on this front most of which are easily obtainable.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
The whole Spanish market is mostly painting flats with acrylic painting, while rest of Europe more often uses oïl painting.

see for example the blog of Rafael Cebrian: http://rafacebrian.blogspot.be/

For a first flat, I would paint a character of 54 to 90mm size, not smaller or a bust (portrait).
Many choices on the site a Little Tin Soldier:  http://www.thelittletinsoldier.com/catalog/

Advantage of acrylic is fast drying compared to oïl.
You can find many examples of painted flats in this site, using search function in the galleries... or ask...

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

jonsteed47

• Associate
getting started on flats ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
I would like to know what scale should a person do if this is their first flat also it is possible to paint a flat with the combination of both water color and acrylic paints ?