Author Topic: Interim report  (Read 2651 times)

Roger

Re: Interim report
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:35:05 AM »
This is interesting http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=20th_Foot it would appear the shoulder lace was worn by the battalion companies too.
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Joerg

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:15 AM »
@Folks,
thank you again for your kind words. I feel rise my power  :D

@Mike - I did the cobblestones first with a overnight-drying-clay for modelling purposes.
            The idea was to plaster a thin layer and engrave the joints and gaps next day.
            Well -the result was, when scraping the joints - the whole layer loosened and broke in pieces....

Next thing was to mix a two-components-putty and do the same procedure.   
The stuff is good, the joints are scraped since January, but the missing link is to paint all that stone! 
(By now I achieved it too, but was now fun.)

@Willy, because I have no intention to go far into the details with British 18th century army,
I fully trusted an Old BBC series about tradition in the British army (concerning the Minden-rose-thing)
and the Morier painting, concerning the uniform.
But thanks for the book advice anyway!

(By the way: Part of the fun was, that folks from this regiment two generations later burned the President's House in Washington D.C..... ;)

Joerg
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
Try looking at British Army Uniforms from 1751-1783 including the Seven Years War and The American War of Independence  BY Carl Franklin new last year Willie

mike

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
Very nice Joerg. They do need that base mate!  Cant you make the cobbles out of miliput? That should give you hours of fun!!!
Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
I bet all you guys :) My first ship in the Navy was the ARK  :o I like the figure very much ;) Willie

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
It must have been a bit like kermit and miss Piggy,

La Salle my love ------ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Probably wasnt wise to do this, i got to spend the weekend with him!!!  ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chris Seeley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
No Nick i was around in the 1800 i was ADC to Lasalle  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »

Another great paint job, well done Joerg,

You could ask Chris, I think he was around in the 18th century, he just looks slightly young for his age!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Roger

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
I wasn't around in the 18th cent. but I don't think you would go far wrong basing your painting on Morier's work.
I can see you dilemma with the roses.... I would suggest that old favourite, artistic licence.  ;) perhaps painting one on would be an idea.
Cobblestones... sorry can't help at all there.  ;D
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Joerg

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
@Roger,
I based my work on that Morier painting ;)
As for the rose - Conny Schulte offers a set of red roses (I think 20 pieces).
So - I need only ONE and the other thing is, that the sources report "Wild roses", quite another thing.

To put it in a nutshell - NO, I haven't found a solution yet.

The other thing is, that working with the base is really a pain in the ....
I can't feel any fun in painting that damned cobblestones, but without them the whole thing does not work..... :(

J.
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

Roger

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »
Sorry I somehow missed this Joerg. The figure looks very nice and the setting is good too.
Morier's painting of the 20th regt. shows wings for the Grenadier so in that respect is correct, The Royal Collection dates it 1751-60 so you can assume also correct for Minden.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/405584/grenadiers-19th-and-20th-regiments-of-foot-and-21st-royal-north

Have you worked out a way of incorporating the rose yet Joerg?
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

Joerg

Interim report
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:56 AM »
Hello ,
one of my projects was (is) a English Grenadier of 20th Regiment of Foot before the Battle of Minden 1759.
Base is not finished yet and I am still searching for a way to add a Minden Rose at the mitre cap.

Painted in oil
Grenadier by Herbert Bunzel
pillar by Uwe Peter

G.K.Chesterton