Author Topic: Need help for new US Army figure.  (Read 659 times)

willie

Re: Need help for new US Army figure.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 12:13:18 AM »
Ok the uniform is 1930 to early 40s  I know because my Father had the same uniform in World War II He was in the 1st Cavalry Division 7th Cavalry and at Fort Bless Texas and they road the border. I would say the the insignia is the 2nd Infantry division PFC . Histoire & Collections two volume set Army Service Force Catalog GI collectors guide By Henri Paul Enjames  Willie

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:12 AM »
The new pic is described as a private of the 2nd Infantry Div sometime during the 1920s. The 2ID served in France during WW I and was based at Ft Sam Houston, TX throughout most of the interwar period.

No explanation for the pistol. I've always been under the impression that only officers and NCOs carried a holstered sidearm under normal circumstances. The exception was enlisted on special duties - Military Police for example. The pistol is likely a Colt M1911 .45 caliber semi-automatic; note the magazine pouches on his belt. I don't see any indication of a sidearm on the first pic (the lack of magazine pouches is a giveaway). No indication of rank either. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

You may find this useful. Scroll down to page 75: [/size][size=78%]https://history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf[/size]

Gerald

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately many photos but not the right one. Is there a holster or something on the other side?would it fit?

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
Based on the shoulder patch it appears to be the 3rd Infantry Division. Their square patch had diagonal blue and white stripes bordered in green. They were formed at Camp Greene, North Carolina in 1917 and trained there and at Ft Bliss, TX before being sent to France in WW I. It was (presumably) at Camp Greene between the wars. It fought in North Africa, Italy and France in WW II. It is currently based at Ft Stewart, Georgia.

The image may be incomplete. The full version is attached, but it may be a fake. The caption reads 3rd Inf Supporting Div, Hawaii, 1939. May also be fake. All of the rifles appear to be M1903 Springfields.

Check Google Images for uniforms. Be prepared to wade through a lot of pics...

Gerald

• Associate
Need help for new US Army figure.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
Hello,

I hope someone can help me.
Can someone show me good uniform templates for this soldier. (for a two-sided tin figure)
Does anyone know where this US soldier was stationed and which US regiment? It would have been between the wars.
Thank you!
Gerald