Author Topic: Algeria 1844 - Help needed  (Read 1089 times)

Erich

• Associate
Re: Algeria 1844 - Help needed
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
Thank you very much, Michel - this is another option for me to think about

Erich

Hannibal

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:58:30 AM »
I found text which would well support your composition, but all is in French, from a book, and I have to translate the etxt by retyping it for translation in Englsih or German.

Actually in short, the battle of Alger between the French army and Abd-el-Khader occurred on 1O may 1843; French won and took many prisonners to move them elswehere , but among them, the daughetr and the wife of Abd-el-Khader could escape with bedoins and the French troopps were too tired after the battle to reach them.
So to be the two composition could well represent the escape of the wife of Abd-el-Khader by his men from the French chasing them unsuccessfully.  ...

More time needed to translate the text....

M.
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Erich

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 05:26:13 AM »
It seems I was not clear enough in my question -

I would ask, whether it could be possible that such a troup of berber horseman "with a captured market girl"  will pursued by chasseurs d afrique or would it be better to chose an other unit

Yesterday I have got the suggestion to replace the market girl with a cantiniere/vivandiere of the pursuing unit.

Any suggestions/comments are very welcome!

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 02:02:35 PM »
The title of the two engravings are:

"Les Chasseurs d'Afrique du Duc d'Aumale, abreuvant leurs chevaux après la prise de la Smala (1843)"
"The Chasseurs d'Afrique du Duc d'Aumale, watering their horses after the capture of La Smala (1843)"
"Die Chasseurs d'Afrique du Duc d'Aumale tränken ihre Pferde nach der Eroberung der Smala '1843)"

and the other is
"Capture of a Market Girl - Algiers" Adam Del - W.French   = Algeria . Original steel engraving drawn by Adam, engraved by French. ca 1840.  Hand-coloured 16x12cm

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Erich

• Associate
Algeria 1844 - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:40:36 AM »
"The capture of the market girl"  as seen below - an old print - could be a nice figure group in 3o mm   (at a later time)

to get drawings for the berber horsemen could not be the problem, but I am unaware in the case of the pursuers.
I would have chasseurs chase them, see picture below, but I am not sure.   Unfortunately I am unable to speak or read the french language so
it is not easy to find out what is right or wrong.
Any help - suggestions - are welcome.