Author Topic: Which base colours to buy ? Oil and Acrylics ?  (Read 3226 times)

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
Re: Which base colours to buy ? Oil and Acrylics ?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
No disagreements about black, Gentlemen. As I said, there are many points of view. Just trying to keep it simple.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 02:47:33 AM »
You are right about black, the best way is to made a mix between Ultramarine blue and Van Dick brown , BUT Ivory black is interesting on flats if used by small quantity to accentuate the depth
It is also useful to made the Imperial blue of the Napoleonic era, mixed with Prussian blue and while
Eric

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:15:32 AM »
If you're interested in keeping things simple and not spending too much money, all you really need is: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. You can mix any color from these, and they are all opaque.
Sorry, but I can still hear my Art teacher in junior high school saying real artists never uses black. Hence that color is not included in my oils.
 I can't manage without yellow ochre for the skinn tones. You could say that my palette is somewhere between yours and errant49's

Nicofig

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 12:04:11 AM »
Thank you very much PJDeluhery.

I think buy Winsor and newton (Artist Color).

I thought I'd find it on my own but I realised that I was able to envisage 30 or 40 hits, which I think is way too many. ???

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »

There are many, many different views on the answer to your question. Here's mine.

If you're interested in keeping things simple and not spending too much money, all you really need is: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. You can mix any color from these, and they are all opaque. If you are not familiar with how to mix a color you can look it up online. Better yet, get a color wheel. Be sure to buy high quality paints, not student grades.

Best of luck to you.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Nicofig

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
Thank you Marko.  :)

Merci beaucoup Eric. Je me rends compte que je suis en train de faire une erreur car préparant une commande de peinture à l'huile je me retrouve à plus de 30 tubes différents. Il me semble que je devrais restreindre ma palette et tes conseils m'y aident.

Merci encore.  :)

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:28:07 PM »
Hi Nicofig
Sorry for my english speaking friends but for once I will write in French

Voici quelques éléments de réponse pour l'huile
Blanc de Titane, Jaune de Naples, Jaune de Cadmium citron, Jaune de Cadmium foncé, Ocre Jaune, Rouge de Cadmium foncé, Carmin d'Alizarine, Terre de Sienne brûlée, Terre d'Ombre brûlée, Brun Van Dyck, Bleu de Cobalt, Bleu Ultramarine, Bleu Hoggar (phtalo), Bleu de Prusse, Gris de Payne, Noir d'Ivoire, éventuellement un vert
C'est ma palette habituelle et je n'en sors pratiquement jamais; ça marche pas trop mal
Je n'ai pas de préférence pour les marques du moment qu'il s'agit de peinture extra fine
Je n'ai aucune compétence pour l'acrylique
Eric

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
Very broad range of opinions but, here is some advice from Mike Taylor and his Art of the Tin Figure around oils:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

If you are unsure there are nice basic starter sets from Windsor & Newton and Michael Harding if you want to take a dip, Vallejo also has some nice sets around specific time periods in Acrylic as well.

There are also some nice articles in the Techniques section which have some more lists and thoughts.

Have fun!

mark  8)
Site Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »
I am no where close to the level of expertise that most painters are here, but I like oils. I find them easier to work with.
There are two sides to every question.

Nicofig

• Associate
Which base colours to buy ? Oil and Acrylics ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »

Good morning, everyone,

In order to answer the questions frequently asked by beginners, could you advise us which base colours to buy :

- for oil ?
- for acrylic ?

Thank you very much for your advice.  :D