Author Topic: Glaze color suggestion  (Read 833 times)

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
Re: Glaze color suggestion
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 01:31:32 PM »
You're welcome. Give my regards to The Big Easy.  8)
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:01:16 AM »
Thank you for the detailed response.  Much appreciated.  Will give it a try.
JBA

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »
According to color theory. as I understand it , a very transparent glaze of the complimentary color should mute the yellow. That's purple (red+blue).  It might take more than one coat, so go slowly, watch the results, and adjust from there.

I'd mix 1 part of purple from the tube with about 10 parts glaze medium, put a little on  my brush and blot until almost dry, and try it in a place that does not show too much. Let it dry and see what happens. I'm sure it will mute the yellow, but not sure what it will do to the khaki.  You might need several coats to mute the yellow sufficiently. You might then need to glaze the khaki with another color to bring it to the hue you want.

If you still have some of the original color, put it on an old figure you don't care about and practice until you get he result you are looking for.  You can short cut the dry time by using a crock pot or 100watt bulb to dry the figure overnight. Be sure it is dry completely to evaluate the results.

Hope this helps.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Glaze color suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
Am painting WW2 US paratroopers in oils and after much work the khaki uniform is way too yellow (I think cadmium yellow dark) to keep.  Any suggestion for a glaze color to tone down the yellow chroma and make it closer khaki and drab?
JBA