Author Topic: stripping paint  (Read 4202 times)

aba

• Associate
Re: stripping paint
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
Yes there is no need to use acetone or any other stuff like this.

95% of all paint will disappear easily after putting the flats overnight in water with a handful of laundry detergent. When starting it may ease the process to fill in hot (but not cooking hot) water and a handful of laundry detergent mix it and then put in the flats.

böckchen

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 05:53:24 AM »
Hello everyone, yes we are still alive.  We use dishwasher taps for cleaning.  Leave to work overnight in a glass of water and then work with a toothbrush.  At least it's not a heavy head. ;)
best regards
Wolfgang

Brian

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
Yes next year will be a big year, no more being told how to look affter ourselfs! we have idiots in london to do that hahaha

All okay here Willie, dont hear a peep from the society guys! not even a reply when I send EMails but no worries still doing lots cutting stone, painting and back with my old bike club so all good ;) [size=78%] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [/size]
[/size][size=78%]      [/size]

Hannibal

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 03:25:09 AM »
If Chromofag is banned in the EU, useless here, However after Dec 31st, UK will have the freedom to use :-[ >:(
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Ed Humphreys

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 03:21:33 AM »
Dettol is a concentrated antiseptic fluid, used in dilution for various first aid, medical and personal hygiene purposes According to the label, it is Chloroxylenol 4.8% w/v. I'm sure its equivalent is in most homes on your side of the Atlantic.

snagy

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:40 AM »
Give it Chromofag - it works instantliy.
A very small amount is enough.

However I think it is banned in EU.
Sandor

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 09:01:46 PM »
Boy I can't leave you guys  alone for a minute paint striper and fire and masks You must have had a dull childhood 😁  lol  No everything you said is right also gogels be safe Who's keeping a eye on Brain😵 Willie

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
For years I have used Easy Off odorless oven cleaner. Spray the piece, let it sit for a hour, brush lightly with an old toothbrush. Works on old or new paint, even baked-on paint. No odor. Little mess.

Never heard of Dettol. What is it?
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

johnb

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 11:08:20 PM »
Thanks Ed, will give it a go.  On old enamel painted figures I have been using Mr Muscle oven cleaner sprayed into a clip lock bag and sealed for 30 minutes.  This still requires a light going over with a toothbrush and I have to wear a mask.

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »
That’s good to know Ed, a lot safer than using fire and paint stripper👍😃

Hannibal

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
MMMmmmmm!  It must be your attitude, or your face !

Also you are probably wearing a mask on your face, when shopping, don't use a drawing suggesting you're a killer!

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

JerryMort

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
I have used it - works well, but it certainly makes a pong.
BFFS Journal Editor

Ed Humphreys

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:01:21 AM »
When I buy acetone, they suspect I am making explosives.

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »
Must try myself ... I usually use Acetone and a toothbrush.
Cleaned within 15 minutes....
Michel
_______

Ed Humphreys

stripping paint
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:20:30 AM »
My son alerted me to a useful substance for stripping paint from metal figures. It is relatively cheap, safe to use, and present in many homes. Believe it or not, it is Dettol! I have experimented on both freshly (and badly) painted figures, and figures primed and underpainted several years ago. After a couple of hours immersed in a drop or two of Dettol, the paint comes off with the slightest touch of a brush. The only downside is that my painting room smells like a hospital!