Author Topic: Steampunk Girl Bust  (Read 4052 times)

AKB61

• Associate
Re: Steampunk Girl Bust
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
as always great work my friend

mil-mart

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:46:27 AM »
Excellent painting Glen and a nice write up.

Cheers Ken

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
Thanks everyone!. The penciled freckles and eyelashes were a bit of an afterthought. After a discussion at our figure club meeting I decided to give them a shot. I do like the effect and will continue to refine it.
Cheers,
Glen

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:41 AM »
This one is nice and cute
I do like the freckles
Eric

Roger

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:19:51 AM »
Nice work Glen and enjoyed the write up too.  :)
Roger Newsome.
BFFS member.
Bedale, North Yorkshire.

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
Love it, something truly different.  Nice painting and breakdown too.

mark  8)
Site Admin

Glen

• Associate
Steampunk Girl Bust
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
  [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Greetings everyone! This is my latest flat – Trost’s recently issued 70mm Steampunk Girl bust acquired from the Little Tin Soldier: http://www.thelittletinsoldier.com/catalog/
Cleanup was minimal; there was no pitting or short shots, just a few stray bits of metal around the edges. There were a few areas of minor concern regarding the sculpting and what the designer/engraver was intending.
The wrap was clasped at the top center, but the lower fastener was offset to the viewer’s left. The arm guard could be painted as leather or metal, I suppose, but there were a couple of inconsistencies in its design – the overlapping sections on the forearm seem to change their sequence, but then returned to the original. I was in the middle of painting it when I realized some of my shading/lining was off and had to do a quick repaint. It’s also a bit nebulous as to whether the guard is solid from the wrist to the upper arm or there’s a bit of skin showing just above the elbow. It could go either way. Lastly, the area of her upper left shoulder where the red wrap and brown corset (?) come together is indistinct and just fades into nothing. Lastly, it’s not clear if the choker is a stand-alone piece or part of the red wrap. I opted for the latter.
The piece was primed with Floquil Model Railroad Gray Primer (brushed on), then painted with Reaper Master Series Acrylic Paints: http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors
The skin tones are the Tanned Skin and Rosy Skin triads; each base, light, and dark mixed 1:1 with it’s opposite. A bit of Burgundy Wine was added to further deepen and gray out the shadows where needed, while Pure White was used for additional highlights. Just a smidge of Blood Red was added to the highlight to create the blush on her cheeks. Being a redhead, it seemed freckles were in order, so I added some red-brown freckles with a sharply pointed colored pencil. On a side note, adding a brownish red to the base skin tone and using the sharpened point of a toothpick to dot it onto the face will yield a similar result. The idea is to keep the freckles from having a uniform size, shape, and color density. Another sharply pointed dark brown pencil was used to add eyelashes.
The eyelids were treated to a peach-colored (Blush Pink and Fire Orange mix at 3:2 and lightened some with Pure White) eye shadow. This color was also used on her fingernails. The lips …ah, those lips, were painted with the Deep Red triad, Fire Red, and Phoenix Red.
The hair is the Chestnut Brown triad with Orange Brown and Burnt Orange highlights. Linen White was added to the latter as a final light.
The skin under the sheer blouse was painted Tanned Shadow and slightly lightened where needed with Tanned Skin and Tanned Highlight. A thinned out glaze of Linen White was used for the blouse and sleeve with some areas being more opaque. Pure white was used for the final highlights.
The corset is the Harvest Brown triad, while the red wrap is the Clotted Red triad. The arm guard is the Shield Brown triad with Old Bronze and Tarnished Brass studs. The latter metallics were also used on the corset’s vertical stays.
The gun, which appears to be a somewhat jazzed up revolver, was painted with a number of white and yellow metal metallics in the Reaper range. Seems a bit standard for the Steampunk genre, so no points for originality…
The goggles – another Steampunk standard -  were painted using the Dark Skin triad with the metal bits being the same Bronze/Brass combo above. The main lenses are clear allowing the shadowed hair to be visible, while large flip down lenses were painted a mix of Deep and Dark Red for night vision. The smaller lens was treated as a magnifier and painted as if clear. All were given a partial reflection of sky (based on interweb pics), then gloss-coated.
And that, as they say, is that.
Questions and Comments are welcomed.
Cheers,
Glen