Author Topic: Metallic or not metallic  (Read 5413 times)

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Re: Metallic or not metallic
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
There is obviously a bit more brightness to the metallic figure, but on the whole, they do appear to be the roughly the same. Maybe the photo's have something to do with it, and to actually see both put togeather by eye would make a vast difference. As you have the figures, Do the metallics look vastly different from the oil ones?

There are those who feel happy to use metallics and those who think it is all wrong, personnally I think everyone should do what they prefer. No right, No wrong. I would judges figures on how well they were painted, not the medium used.

If you are going to make a point about using metallics, then  you could say, should flats be painted in Acrylic???

I have the best of both worlds, I use Acrylic oil paint!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I am currently trying to paint the Brass coal scuttle on Tweedledee's head, using oil paint-- can I get the colour right?   NO ;D ;D ;D 

errant49

• Global Moderator
Metallic or not metallic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
Hello !

I'm back after a very good Kulmbach followed by a wonderful sun on the Opal Coast; I'll talk about that somewhere else in the forum

My purpose here is to make you wonder about the use of metallic or oil colours for metals
Our friend Gian Paolo wrote about that in the Journal and at Kulmbach i had the opportunity of buying some Douchkine figures, painted this way as he used to do
Years ago (in the 80's) I painted with metallics; I then followed the "up to date" way with the influence of Walter Fisher and Mike Taylor
But I have to confess I never was totally convinced
I think that silver or gold metals could be paint with metallics and silver or god laces or fabrics could be paint with oil
I join two pictures of four different figures
The first one shows  TYW lancers : the standing one is paint with oil; the galoping with metallics
The second one shows two figures both painted with metallics for metals and oil for laces and fabrics

Now what do you think ???

Eric