Author Topic: Goth Harlequin  (Read 4745 times)

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
Re: Goth Harlequin
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
...I also tend to indulge in the results of my wife's beer making hobby. She's made a clone of Theakston's Old Peculier that'll knock your socks off.

Cheers,

Glen
Lucky man!
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Glad to help. I write out what I've done on all of the scratch-flats I've done. Most of it, I think, is redundant, but there are a few things that are different. Still working in my secret lab...

Cheers,

Glen

hawk

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »
Hi Glen,

Thanks for taking the time to explain much appreciated, I might give it ago at some point.

It was the Sculpy putties I have seen used with glass as the glass can be used in the oven to bake it.

John Fitzgerald
---------------------------------------------------
Hawk Miniatures

Blog: www.hawkminiatures.co.uk
Shop: www.hawkminiatures.co.uk
Follow @HawkMiniatures on Twitter
And hawk.miniatures on Facebook

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
Thanks everyone!

John, I first started sculpting on glass using the Aves two-part Apoxie Sculpt putty. The drawing was taped under the glass. The glass does need a release agent, otherwise putty the really sticks to the glass after it cures. I tried a variety of sprays, cooking oils, and vaseline. All worked to a point, but it's a bit of a crap-shoot - too little and the putty sticks anyway. Too much and the putty doesn't stick to anything - including itself. I then tried waxed paper. Less messy, but the water used to smooth and blend the putty and keep it from sticking to the tools eventually broke up the paper. The one time glass and sticking wasn't an issue was when I used Sculpy III to make Cheech Wizard (see the old site if you can access it, I can't). Once completed, the piece was baked in the oven, cooled, and easily sliced off the glass. No release agent was needed.

I finally resorted to using the sheet plastic; .030 at first and, while it worked, it was a bit too thick and was a chore to cut out. I went to .010 for the Harlequin, but that was to thin; it curled under the curing putty. The next one will .020. In all cases of using the plastic base, the figure was drawn on first, the piece cut out, and the drawing cleaned up as needed. I use a fine line water proof marker for the final drawing, so water and my handling doesn't erase the lines.

All of my scratch-built flats are averaging around 1.5mm thick or so. There are slightly thinner areas and slightly thicker areas. Overall, they are marginally thicker than commercial metal flats.

Nick, you make a valid point. One of the issues of sculpting over the glass was being unable to see through the putty. Once a flat sheet was rolled out, You had to feel your way around the drawing's perimeter to get the outline. I uses a series of guidelines - a grid and angles - to show me the top of the head, the bottom, shoulder lines, etc. Once the outline was set, I cleaned up the edges (including adding more putty if necessary), flat sanded the face to get rid of any undulations, then transferred the drawing to the flat sheet of putty.

PJ, not smoking anything, but I do tend to get a lot of gas and oil fumes when working on the MGs. I also tend to indulge in the results of my wife's beer making hobby. She's made a clone of Theakston's Old Peculier that'll knock your socks off.

Cheers,

Glen

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »
Well, like it, Glen. You re going into some new territory, and that's fine...especially for one-off pieces. I've tried your sculpting technique, and it's a lot harder than it looks.  :P
Keep up the great work!
Oh, and can you send me some of what your're smoking?  ;D
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

hawk

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
I seem to remember on the Steam-punk post that Glen had the illustration on the plasti-card as he was putting the putty down.

Hence the suggestion but then again I may be mis-guided myself..
John Fitzgerald
Hawk Miniatures

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:19 AM »
Hang on John, call me dense, ( every one else does anyway ;D ;D ;D ;D) if the picture is under the glass, and the putty is on top, surely you wouldn't see the picture unless the putty was see through? ???

hawk

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:36:15 AM »
Hi Glen,

Have you though about sculpting the demi-rounds on a sheet of glass with the illustration underneath so it shows through?

John Fitzgerald
Hawk Miniatures

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Thanks for the comments! One for... I think, and one not so much. If Brian wants one, he will, alas, have to make his own. A process which is sure to cause a great disturbance in the force. Then there's the supreme irony...  ;)

Eric, I am a bit unsure of what you're saying, re: 'strange figures'. Do you not like Harlequins in particular, fantasy figures in general, partial nudity, non-military subjects, or what...? I would agree about her breasts. On a flat, shape is defined by the interplay of shadow and highlight; I don't think I carried that off very well.

Ok not to like... every little bit helps! Still going to try it again, tho'.

Cheers,

Glen

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Hi Glen
I will not say anything about the sculting technique
But I wonder about the interest to create such strange figures which I confess, I do not find attractive at all
I would never try a flirt with one of this girls !
About the enormous and incredible bobs of the harlequin I feel they charged a little too much with silicone;better hide them
To conclude, I am sorry Glen, but I do not like
Eric

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
Didnt Janet Jackson have stars?  ;D ;D ;D

Interesting sculpt.  Brian would like one to upset the next competition judges we go to!! ;D ;D ;D

Glen

• Associate
Goth Harlequin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »
This is my latest experiment in sculpting flats; a Goth Harlequin. The piece is 90mm tall and based on a photo of a nude dancer. Some quick research on the interweb gave me the basics of a Harlequin 'uniform' - various sized diamond patterns in a variety of colors, shoes, gloves and the horned (for the want of a better term) hat. Masks are also fairly common. The Goth aspects are reflected in the color choices of black and dark reds, pale skin, the white mask, and what was supposed to be a black lace skirt.

You may recall my using .030" sheet plastic as a foundation for the Steampunk pinup piece. It proved a bit tedious to cut it out with any precision, so I opted to use .010" plastic for this one; a mistake as it turned out. While easy to cut out, it was too flimsy. The curing putty curled it at the ends. Lay the head flat and the feet are curved upward over 1/4 of an inch. The feet and hands are also fragile and I've managed to break them a few times.

I used Aves Apoxie-Sculpt built up in successive areas and layers. I completely screwed the pooch as far as the skirt was concerned. The sawtoothed edges were supposed to be staggered, but in my haste I lined them up. Never try to do a half-hour task in the ten minutes before dinner. And, I am never late for dinner... I"m also thinking the visible portion of the thighs could be lowered, making the skirt longer and the leggings shorter.

The paints are Reaper acrylics over brushed-on Floquil primer. I'm still on the fence about her being topless - maybe diamond-shaped pasties?

All that said, I'm to take another crack at this one to get it right. I has also occurred to me that this pose would make an excellent showgirl. Think big feathers, sequins, heels, etc..

As always, questions and comments are welcomed.

Cheers,

Glen