Author Topic: MFCA 2012 Show Report - via PJDeluhery from BFFS site  (Read 3695 times)

socko47

Re: MFCA 2012 Show Report - via PJDeluhery from BFFS site
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »
Yes John,  We were impressed with the backs. Always looking for a way to display our flats and the French have found a way to build out the back of the frame and then cover it with nice, decorative papers. Wanted to document what they do.   Glad you noticed.  AND don't beleive the rumors that at the next MFCA Show there will be an award for the best frame job.  ;D Joe

johnr

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:28 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictues Pat and Joe. Some great inspirational painting there in particular the Mike Taylor stuff how does he get such detail?
You were obviously impressed by the decorative finish on the backs of the French figure frames Joe!

Thanks again for thanking the time to post.

John R

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
Hi Joe,
Great to see you here on the new site.
Thanks for the link. You have some great photos of the show. Some real nice close-ups of Mike Taylors' masterful work, for those that may not have seen them in person.
OOOPs! Guess that was really Mark with Joe's post. Oh Well. Pix are still great.
BTW, this new format will make show reproting much easier and more informative for those viewing.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
Another add from the old site with a beautiful set of pics - also added to the Gallery here under MFCA 2012 as well.  All with Joe's kind permission!

As Pat has reported the Show was something special with the 40th anniversary of the Grand Master.

I am listing the photos I took at the Show. I man the artist registration table and rush around taking photos when I can with no time to list artist, evaluate, or even realize what I have seen. In fact, Pat showed at least one photo of a piece I never saw. Anyway, I have separated the flats out of my over 400 pictures. A few are from the Grand Master table, like Alice in Wonderland is from Mike Taylor and was brought by the owner of the set.
The set of Japanese woman were for sale in the vendor area. This set was taken with different settings on my camera trying to get the best color. Enjoy them all and as soon as photobucket loads all my others I will post the link under a seperate reply. I am looking forward to see Kevin's report on the flats of the show. These will just give you more views.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/socko47/MFCA%202012/MFCA%202012%20FLATS/

Joe Salkowitz
BFFS Member
Philadelphia, PA U.S.A.
[/font]

http://www.britishflatfigures.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3707
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:41:48 AM by All Gallery from Old Site »
Site Admin

Chris Seeley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
Just had a look at the photos on Photobucket very good photos and really good figures thanks for post this report.
Chris

marko

• Administrator
MFCA 2012 Show Report - via PJDeluhery from BFFS site
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
MFCA 2012 Report

This report is a little late owing to my computer crashing, which not only put me offline for two weeks but also lost my original article and pictures. (@#&!!!!) I was able to re-create everything, finally! Better late than never, I suppose – but not much better.

Kevin Dunne is doing an article for the Journal on the flats at MFCA, so I thought I’d concentrate on what was, for me, a truly once-in-a-lifetime historic event: the 40th Anniversary MFCA Grand Masters’ Display. This year is the 40th anniversary of the first Grand Master Award to Shep Paine in 1972. Over the years, this award has cataloged a virtual Who’s Who of the finest talent in our craft. It was a thrill to see some of this work again, or for the first time – as the case may be. I have to say that I appreciate these works much more now than I did 10 years ago because of my growth as a painter. The range and quality of talent is just overwhelming.

I can’t show every figure here, so I’ve picked a few I particularly like and hope that this will give you a sense of what was there. I suggest you open the link below in a separate window and follow along in the order I use below:

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PJDeluhery/MFCA%2012/

Alphonso Giraldes had a simply stunning display of figures in an illustrator painting style that fit their comic book theme perfectly. Look at the shine on this Ironman and the flames on the Ghost Rider. I heard he does box art work for the manufacturer of these figures. If so, it is stunning.

The gorgeous work of several artists from the French Flat Club AFM Montrouge were on display, among them the work of Catherine Cesario-Pousson. Kevin will undoubtedly show you the front of these pieces, but I want to show you the back. Look at how they build out the rear of the frame so they can make room for a glass front. Note the beautiful paper finishing on the back. Though I do not like glass covering my figures, I think I’ve learned something here!

The pictures follow in this order, and, unless otherwise mentioned, are works from the Grand Master Display: Allan and Marion Ball, Joe Berton –the Rug Sellers one of my favorites. Next is a picture of me (right) Walt Damon (left) and Joe Berton (center) showing Joe’s new book from Andrea Press on Lawrence of Arabia, “T.E. Lawrence and the Arab Revolt.” . If you are a Lawrence fan, this is a must-have, as it has many never before published photos of Lawrence and some very interesting information – representing some 20 years of research by Joe into Lawrence’s life. Walt and I are huge Lawrence fans, and Joe kindly autographed our copies for us. Joe regaled us with stories of his research and how the book came to be.

Moving back to the pictures: “Light” by Danillo Cartacci is a study in shadows and light and a work of true genius. The figure literally “glows.” Something we flat painters should take to heart. Next is a work by Fletcher Clement – his work always makes me think, and I like that. Moving along, an original sculpt by Doug Cohen – note the fantastic action of the horses and riders. Next two flats by Greg DiFranco – his Madame Reclaimer is my favorite. Next is “the old fiddler” – can’t remember who did it, but it was a little jewel that just shined off the table. Next, one of my favorite Bill Horan pieces “The Prisoner”. Next is a scratch piece by Andre Korbonics - Apollo and Daphne - what talent! Next is a box diorama by Dennis Levy showing a Roman soldier manning his post while Vesuvius erupts. Next is the brand new MFCA medal given as the show award. It’s a replica of an ARW-era coin , and a beauty.

The next three photos are from Shep Paine’s “legendary” box dio “Gun Deck of the HMS Victory” – and awe-inspiring piece even after these many years.

Moving along, the next piece is by Christian Petit, a Frenchman who deals in early American subjects, notably Indians. His water work and attention to detail took the US by storm a few years ago, and he is still hugely popular here. Next is a picture of your humble correspondent standing next to my display, then a shot of my display. (Sorry about ditching the BFFS shirt for my standard Hawaiian shirt, but there are five other guys with the same shirt, and I can’tdisappoint them. ) Next is a scratch piece by Bill Prichert, who is one of the best fantasy artists ever to grace the tables. The Napoleonic flat is by Ron Rudat, one of my early inspirations and teachers. Still a brilliant piece. Next, three pieces by Mike Taylor, whose work you all probably know better than I. I had a nice talk with Mike, who is just back from Egypt. Last, a B&W rendition of a GI reading Stars and Stripes that is meant to be a 3-D rendering of a WWII photo. The B&W work is brilliant – and I should know, I’ve done plenty of them myself.

Well, that’s it. I hope you have enjoyed this report. I look forward to Kevin checking in with more on the flats at the show.

PJDeluhery

Original link: 
http://www.britishflatfigures.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3707&SearchTerms=di,franco
Site Admin