Author Topic: Last works.....  (Read 2757 times)

archigrog

• Associate
Re: Last works.....
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 06:54:14 AM »
[...]

For the uniform, I was thinking to pint the uniform of the vatican Swiss guards on the right bottom side of the painting of Raphael the Mass at Bolsena, but I have not verified the compatibility with the drawing and engraving of the flat ...

Hello Michel,
in the fresco of the Mass at Bolsena, in the bottom right hand corner, there is a group of people in wonderful uniformes, who probably are not Swiss Guards but "chair carriers" kneeling down (olso if they bring a sword). They are similar to people around Jiulius II in the another painting (in the same room), "The Flight of Elidor"; they are dressed in wide knee-length breeches and a hiplength doublet, a typical dress in Rome during that period, i think  ;). I think is not so compatible with the MB flat. I think the engraved uniform is quite similar to the soldiers in the "Viaggio fatto dal Sumo Pontefice Clemente Ottavo da Roma a Ferrara" (1589) by Franco Giacomo. It's quite close to a lansquenet uniform...

Claudio

Hannibal

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
Thanks Angelo,

I found the knight with banner at Berliner ZF as
"Nr. 100-715 (1x) Reisigen-Bannerträger zu Pferd, Banner wehend"
Mounted men at arms, attacking - Order.-No.: 100/25/105 - Europa, Anfang 16. Jh. Renaissance .

Michel
 -
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Hannibal

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:13:29 PM »
 :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;) Grazie mille !
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

merlino

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Hi Hannibal, the well of this figure is in Ferrara, not in Verona...... I know very well the well of Verona..... is my place of work  ;D ;D ;D for Snagy: you  find the article on Medici family on the latest issue of BFFS Journal!   ;)
merlino957@outlook.com
"on paints first with the brain, rather than with the brushes..."

Hannibal

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
Thank you too Angelo, for your details and references, very useful.

Flat painting in 30 mm (and other sizes) helps me a lot to refresh and even read much deeper on History, as I love entering in the body and spirit of the characters I am painting.  This documentation part takes me sometimes 10 times more time than the painting itself, and is a very essential part of my hobby !

My characters are therefore now more an more documented ... Actually I am reading on the Medici's, although I need to return to Belgium in December only to find the flats and start painting them....

ah! ah! ....
Michel
_______

Hannibal

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
Hello Archigrog,

Thank you for your kind explanations, because I like to have the historical support for my paintings.
I did eventually fond the reference of the characters two days ago after several hours of long searches on the internet, ... although I tried since two weeks ... with the site of Mario Venturi.
I also found the reference to  "Le Temps revient" and Mario Scalini, wit the poems read in old books...

But the drawing on the banner not, this is very helpful.

I guessed that with Angelo as technical advisor, you have a very strong historical support to your figures, and the Italian Rinascimento is really one of the best historical period of our western civilization !!

One more question then, the uniform of the Pontifical Guard near the Verone well, with his halbert?
I found the well is very very close to the well in the Palazzo del Podesta in Verona, except that it is hexagonal and the iron structure is on the grond, not on the well, and with different sculpture on the body of the well; but the well in the Palao Bass in Venitia is close.

For the uniform, I was thinking to pint the uniform of the vatican Swiss guards on the right bottom side of the painting of Raphael the Mass at Bolsena, but I have not verified the compatibility with the drawing and engraving of the flat ...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:12:45 AM by Hannibal »
Michel
_______

snagy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
Very nice paintwork, Angelo I also like the figures.
For those, who are not deeply familiar with the period - like me - next time it would be also good to give comments of the depicted persons, who they are.
Thank you for the explanation, Archigrog!
Sandor

merlino

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Thanks to all..... Michel, has already answered Archigrog. All right. I think Scholtz's standard bearer is by Berliner Zinnfiguren. But I took it a long time ago and I don't remember well.
merlino957@outlook.com

archigrog

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Hello Michel,
i think the standard is referred to one Lorenzo il Magnifico's emblems, the so called "broncone" (like trunk), a re-flowering laurel (laurel = Lorenzo) plant, which alludes to re-birth an new vigor in Medici's family under Lorenzo and his brother Giuliano. The girl could refear to Florence. The laurel therefore symbolized olso a sort of continuity, triumph and immortality of the Medici dynasty.
In some verses from "La giostra" by Luigi Pulci, the banner is described as divided into two part, one white and the other light blue, which showed the "Le Temps Revient" motto above a rainbow and under the sun and below, Lucrezia Donati (Lorenzo's lover...perhaps), in a blue tunic, intent on preparing a laurel wreath.
Some interesting reconstruction about this tournament called "giostra romanza" (1469) can be find in this two essays:

Scalini, Mario, Il "ludus" equestre nell'età laurenziana, in Le Temps revient - Il tempo si rinnova, 1992,  pg.75-102
Ventrone, Paola, La giostra "romanza" di Lorenzo del 1469, in Le Temps revient - Il tempo si rinnova, 1992,  pg.167-187

The MB flats become, i think, from some Mario Venturi renaissance miniatures:
http://www.parvimilites.it/03_051rinitaliano.html

Angelo, really great paintjob! I love your tins!

Hannibal

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »
Really nice paintings Angelo,

I like particularly the three new Medici's fellows, ready to paint hem in December when going home!
Do you know the origin and meaning of the drawings on the standard bearer of the Medici's ?

Beautiful treatment of the armour of the riding knight !!!  What is the name of the figure? (I see is is a W.Scholtz origin).
Michel
_______

merlino

Last works.....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:20 AM »
Some of my last works......  8)
merlino957@outlook.com