Author Topic: so...I am new to painting flats...  (Read 4270 times)

Richard

Re: so...I am new to painting flats...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
Hello Redhussar

You can add too a second undercoat for the oil transparent paint with a close hint of the wanted color.
Richard 

RedHussar

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
thanks too all for the advice...it helps very much...be well...Michael

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
I agree that its best to undercoat, and it should be an acrylic or medium other than oil-based if you are painting in oils. Once the acrylic dries, is cannot be be disturbed by over painting in oils.  Also, a good base will provide a surface for the oils to stick to - called "tooth." Paint is less likely to rub off.
Lastly, the color is a matter of taste. I prefer white because it allows colors to show bright by reflecting off the white undercoat. You can use gray or even black, as many others do. However, their work tends to be darker since less light is reflected by the undercoat - which might be fine for certain subjects, or if that's your style. Just keep the undercoat thin and let it dry overnight before you begin painting. Good Luck.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

fesak_j

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:33:17 AM »
I use andrea acrylic grey paint(could be matt citadell too). It gives perfect hard matt base coat which is good for using oil colours and it is dry in minutes. When using of enamel paints you need to wait couple of hours.  :) .....

errant49

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:05:44 AM »
It is of course possible to paint on the bare metal if you use oil; many great painters as Douchkine, Leliepvre or Terana did so
But I feel that the brightness of tin makes the painting uneasy
I always use a white undercoat except for metallic parts like armours which I left bare
My undercoat is a Titanium white from Winsor and Newton Griffin Alkyd
One thin coat applied with the brush is enough
It can be worked on 24h after
Some painters also use an acrylic undercoat
I cannot say anything about Tamya primer because I never use spray
Eric

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 01:00:03 AM »
I used to use Citadel acrylic white brushed and now prefer Tamiya primer from a spray can.  You will want something thin that does not obscure the detail which is why I like Tamiya, but lots of choices.

Mark  8)
Site Admin

RedHussar

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
marko...thanks for the vinegar wash suggestion...is there a specific brand of paint that adheres the best...I have seen Dic Blick paints recommended...

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
In the past undercoating was recommended to to assist with issues around lead disease and or the paints of the time.

Currently I think it somewhat a matter of taste - I undercoat in acrylic white, I know of others that swear by grey or black in various mediums.  The major purpose is preparing the canvas for paint and having the detail clear so that you can paint your magic.

I do know for some metallic affects one option is to leave the figure unpainted and just coat with a glaze.  I suspect their are many that paint directly onto the metal figure without undercoating.

Regardless if you undercoat or not I would recommend washing the figure first - I soak them in vinegar first - just to get rid of any chemical residue and fingerprint oil.

Good luck on getting a single answer...hint - there is no 'right answer'.

mark  8)

Site Admin

RedHussar

• Associate
so...I am new to painting flats...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
I have noticed in my collection when a figure needs touch up...that they do not appear to have been primed...so with regards to painting a blank now...is it a good idea to prime the figure first...thanks...