Author Topic: Rubelles 2019  (Read 3304 times)

Hannibal

Re: Rubelles 2019
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:45:07 PM »
I agree too Ralph,

I am going to start with this 30mm from Urbaniak, now on my table made as teutonic cruzader ...

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

shogun

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 03:05:52 PM »
I find out my hobby around 40 years ago. This little peoples in 30mm flat - I love them. It is a perfect instrument to show the everydaylife or battle (too) in ancient times. This is hobby for myself. I stay in Kulmbach this year. The contest-room was not my way - I leave it at short time (10 min. I think). I have any figures in round - they are lovely too. But the heart beats for flats...

Greetings from Saxony
Ralf

snagy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:46:15 AM »
I agree!

Hannibal

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
Perhaps true you two, as I start to love 30mm more ad more myself, but recognize also that those are mostly destined to male, not to women, not so attracted by soldiers, battles, armies, uniforms, battles ... it is a macho world, and larger size flats have attracted many female painters also during le past 20 years (Cesario, Elordi, Lebrun, Meyer, ...), young juniors and a generation of painters less obsesses by wars, weapon and armies, but art, fantasy, fantastic, on the same way that canvas and wood painting before the Renaissance was dedicated only to religious subjects, than portraits and civil life, then modern subjects of all kinds = we call this evolution ...   Busts are sometimes disregarded, not for their size, but difficulty to be painted correctly by painters used to small sizes, where a face is most of the time simplified.

And remarkable painters appeared and have even more talent that the thousands of large dioramas of battles (two sided) where each soldier was roughly painted to have a mass effect on the historical representation.  I don't deny the excellent painters also of these periods, but such artistic representation is not exclusive. 

On the same way we cannot state that only Historex and Metal Models 54mm historical figures are the only single representations of the world of the figurines ... This would reduce the world of figurines to a small part of what it has become today. 

It is up to everyone to find his/her pleasure and satisfaction with a hobby that give us joy, friendship, passion, and not in a context (I hope) of money, profit, jealousy and conflicts.

Final words are HAVE FUN, KEEP ENJOYING this hobby, it is for ourselves first.....
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

snagy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Friends,
if I may say something from the "far-end" from east, from Hungary:
If I recall the ~30 mm flats from my childhood - that was 50 years ago - they were quite crude creations.
Today's 30 mm quality flats are artistic creations: with high-level elaborated poses, attires, faces, weapons etc.
Furthermore these - at least most cases - are harmonized with their era and environment.
They are most suitable to create small installation of special events - or to put them into suitable diorama.
I haven't painted - or even bought - flat larger than 30 mm and - according to my present taste - I shall not do it in the foreseeable future.
I do not participate on contests - my painting level also might not entitle me - but it does not bother me either, since I do it for my own pleasure, too.
And I can see my own developments in painting skills, that is also a pleasure.
Old maxim that one has to step forward from his own level - or how it is said.
That is the hobby.
Sandor

Kulmbach

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 06:11:18 AM »
I have always collected and painted figures for my own pleasure. I have never started to paint any figures with an ambition to use it as a painting competition object. That´s why all my 30mm figures are painted on both sides, not to be seen by the judges. The reason for me to participate is to show the wonderful World of 30mm flat figures, to stand up against all those big singel sided engraved figures without arms and legs. I wonder where and when it went wrong? It´s like to invite someone to your home and after a while he has taken over your home and you end up in the street.
Jan

shogun

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
Thnks for sharing!
Greetings from Saxony
Ralf

Hannibal

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Helas, sad to say, but outside Germany, like France , Belgium, Spain, the answer is no, only painters, and these are interested y sizes larger than 30mm !! with few exceptions like Franzoia, Canet, Coudert, Talmant, Fourquet and for a part Tardif.

I have not painted a large flat figure since two years, only 30mm, an not for collection, but for pleasure. I my club, only large sizes ..

But this is also why 30mm (collectors) are less popular for judges, they are too small to be seen, and deserve less attention when judges are selected among amateurs and new painters, as it occurs today often.

I wish I could be 35 years younger !!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:50:27 AM by Hannibal »
Michel
_______

Kulmbach

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Interesting to watch ... but a little bit sad at the same time. What has happen to the kind of figures, 30mm flats, that I fell in love with more than 60 years ago.
I got a feeling that the majority of the painters who participate in various painting competitions today are not figur collector in the true sense.
Jan

archigrog

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
Thanks Michel!

Hannibal

Rubelles 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
Club: la Grenade de Rubelles, south of Paris, near the extraordinary Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte, built before Versailles by Nicolas Fouquet, Minister of Finances of Louis the XIVth.
Extremely friendly figurines club having several of the most prestigious French flats painters like Serge Franzoia, (Catherine Cesario), Amalia Returto Elordi, Bernard Tardif, Philippe Fourquet, ...
Have a contest every two years, now last week.

Some 64 pictures of the flats in the gallery are now posted ...

Good reading ...
Michel
_______