Author Topic: Simulating water in a diorama  (Read 6226 times)

zinnmartina

• Associate
Re: Simulating water in a diorama
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 04:23:41 AM »
The spanish company Vallejo offers different procducts.
For example http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/diorama-effects/family/35

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »
Here's what I was thinking in terms of layout just to put it in context. 
New York

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 02:41:40 PM »
One other possibility here which I learned from the fantastic Ray Anderson diorama books was Durhams Water Putty.  I noticed Home Depot carries this now, though I suspect resin may be more fitting for smaller figures. 

mark  8)
Site Admin

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
I'm sure I do Willie but I'm lazy and also wanted to support some of the new editors- always warms my heart to see a new generation editing figures. I have a feeling I'm going to drive myself crazy with this project but this set can't really be displayed without being in a vignette or diorama, and unfortunately I can't figure out how to show Caesar crossing the Rhine without modeling water (d'oh!). I have half a mind to try and bribe Ed or Glenn to do it for me and take a nap instead....
New York

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
Ha if you have a Hobby shop in your neck of the woods or Hobby Lobby check out there stuff for making water and Osprey and model railroad books have a lot of info on it. Willie

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
It looks terrific Glenn. I've ordered the various contraptions resins and chemistry from fredericus rex and will make the attempt upon their arrival. Almost done with the figures themselves so the timing should work nicely. Just need to paint up some lounging legionnaires.
New York

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
My approach was a bit more simplistic. I used Reaper acrylics to depict the shallow water and the edge of a pond, then darkened it to depict deeper water. This followed by a gloss coat. A heavily thinned out gloss coat was applied to the bank's water line to depict moist soil. It was all used for Andrea Miniature's 80mm 'No Swimming' figure.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »
After the resin has harden you can use green, blue, and white to add effects to achieve a realistic water look.

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
Wolfgang what did you use? It looks unbelievable.
New York

marko

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
I had forgotten what a wonderful diorama this was...wow really first class.

mark  8)
Site Admin

böckchen

• Associate
best regards
Wolfgang

Serhan Oflas

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »
Thats good.

About paint, it may not work.. Please make a small test with the some part of the material if paint will interface with the resin or not. Sometimes when you mix unsuitable chemics, mix may became like " broken ", may became rubber or something else.. Better test before apply. May be resin needs acrylic based paints or totally opposite. Thats why its better to test with small amount for not loosing more bigger amount of the materials.

Have a nice weekend,

Serhan-

Mike G

• Mike
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
I bought the product that Daniel mentioned - I agree Serhan I think some brown / green will need to be added to the resin. I assume Humbrol would work
New York

Serhan Oflas

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »
Hello Porthos14.

So you may need to add some color to the resin for having bit muddy waters of the river banks. There is also Epoxy from Greven. There are variety of these kind materials about their curing times. If you have experience with the epoxy materials, you may choose low setting time materials. You may also use polyester kinds if you resist their smell or workshop is available for kind of heavy smelling chemicals. I dont exactly know how much will be thickness of the effect but I suggest to apply any of them in layers, in mm. You may also use clear varnishes but those must apply hundreds of layers.

Serhan-