Author Topic: Yvan Durand figure  (Read 3890 times)

Hannibal

Re: Yvan Durand figure
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
No problem, Glen !!

I agree with you, our passion is a hobby and everyone free to take what he wants to be happy himself in the painting action, and/or in collecting them personnally.

But we should always keep a positive and constructive attitude, and respect towards other painters even if not fitting our own choices.  This is to be applied, not only in coaching painters, but also in judging their works, when asked to do so.

t is true also if we are exclusive fan of the first empire in historical figures, but are asked to help or judge figures from another period, in respect for the choice an testes of others.

Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »
Hannibal, thanks for the offer, but after a review of two large drawers packed with figures and a closet full of model kits, I'm going to have to take a hard pass on the new Yvan piece. At my age, reality is starting to set in...

I offer my mantra:

It's a hobby.
Do what you want, when you want, to the degree of satisfaction you want.
Enjoy the art and artistry of a completed piece.
Understand that time, technology, materials, and processes march on.
Do not denigrate the efforts or interests of others.
When in doubt, remember: It's a hobby.

Qplah'

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
Hi Brain hang in there

Brian

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »

Okay off the fence, I have a foot in both camps in that as much as I love the 30mm tin flat it is the larger single sided flats that bring new collectors in to the world of the flat.
As Wolfgang said figures will always be available and collected, not always with the intensions of getting paint on them, I'm guilty of this with Mignot and Mohr sets.

New blood is coming in to flats but not as much as would be liked, but have a talk to any modellers and it's the same in all disciplines, few are interested anymore, life is to much of a struggle now!

So the new figure?  it's not a flat that's for sure,  it's not a kit to model but if it gets painters to look at the flat figure that can only be good!  is it not?     

böckchen

• Associate
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »
Thank you for your open words. :)
The flat figures collectors do not need new or replacement products.
Most collectors are so oriented, or so, after old masters. Personally, I do not know anyone who has all the characters, let alone the painted in his collection.
The pewter figures in a flat shape will never be all. it will be the collectors who are no longer there and new recruits are missing.
Our little world is based on traditional crafts and is not an industrial product. The figures will always be collected. And besides, small recycling is possible

Have all how they have to word reported here, right.
i have restpect before the performance and the craftsmanship of the collectors. :-X
best regards
Wolfgang

musfig

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
For me, Yvan renewed the school or the landscape of the dish. After we love or we do not like ........

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
Our world is large enough that everyone can paint and enjoy whatever subject, format or underlying material pleases him or her. As long as no one is forcing their views on others, we should all be free to enjoy whatever we like. Personally,I like these figures and have painted a few; but I respect those that do not. It's fine to express one's views and preferences, but if they become heated arguments (not saying this thread is!) they never end well.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Gerald

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 10:08:27 AM »
I like the Figurs and that's important to me!
I am open to new things and I love the traditional.
For me these Figures are an asset. I collect ancient forms from the time before the "cultural-historical" pewter figure, I have "cultural-historical" forms and let engrafe for me horror, fantasy, manga and other forms the are frowend upon by "classic" tinfigures collectors.
I have no problem appreciating new and old.

Ed Humphreys

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »

I have to admit that, like Wolfgang, I am a traditionalist and have never painted a non-engraved, non-metal figure. I can appreciate the skill that goes into designing, engraving and painting these hybrid pieces, but they are not for me. I am quite happy to continue with my 30mm diorama building, with occasional forays into 54mm. This to my mind is the ultimate expression of our art.
Ed

Hannibal

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 05:02:25 AM »
Dear Wolfgang,

I am not a well-known flat painter, even an aged one, new (five years only) and still novice, but let me explain my position and feelings when discovering this hobby, because I did also reject such work during my first year in painting flats, with the information I received then from peers ... It was in 2013.. :

This is an expected comment since painters started to introduce occasionally such paintings in French contests at least since  2013, even earlier with Catherine Césario, one of our major flat master French artists, and other names, with enthusiasm and a lot of appreciations from the community, but also reactions toward the rigid definition of a tin flat figure (I must admit I was one of them in my early start as painter in 2013-2014).

There are similar criticisms against flat figures made ofm4 plastic, instead of (lead) tin figures as born time ago, because it was the only easy material to handle then. I speak of the Spanish Alabarda flats, Yvan Durand epoxy busts since 2003, … very successful on the French and Belgian market. England was probably the first visionary to create and accept in contests new categories like Bas-reliefs, or Miniatures, and in the USA canvas paintings.  Other countries are still very conservative and still attempt keep their initial definition like a floating buoy in an ocean of new technologies.

However the number of painters, engravers, producers of such traditional 30mm tin flats is declining in success, attraction, interest and profitability against the computer aided drawings, printing, new materials, and recently the toxicity of tin and lead as chemical substances, which almost killed our hobby in the European Community legislation!
It is great time to adapt ourselves, open our mind, be imaginative and try to maintain this painting hobby as a growing but flexible activity if we don’t want to see it disappearing totally within less than ten years.  I hear still in corridors old fashioned purist painters rejecting acrylic painting on flats, because it is not enamel or oil!

Remember the first flats with a size larger than 30mm criticized for their out-of norm design; also the one-sided flats; then the fantastic subjects, the busts, and now flowers, vases (I know several 30mm Minoan flats from Neckel and Hafer); or with a plain background instead of adding it in a diorama or a box separately?  These reactions, although understandable are human, and a first attitude against change, whether in job, environment, habit, because it disturbs habits.  But change brings also dynamism, new ideas, new expansions, opportunities, and the world would not be what it is today if new ideas were systematically rejected by all of us.

Remember the change of figurines composed of plastic parts like Airfix in the years 60’s to fully moulded metal figurines like Historex with new technologies of moulding.  Today the 3-D computer printing brings a new revolution leaving us the choice to accept, support, … or die and disappear!

Thank you for your comment, human and understandable, but so much predictable. Our nowadays world of changes requires to open our eyes, accept new ideas, even to detect new opportunities to attract more painters, hobbyists in a world where our post career time increases with life time.

If useful after the first postings in creation during contests, and when more and more are accepted by the public, by buyers and then painters, one can open new categories in our contests, if necessary, new masters, new engravers, producers … and painters, exhibitions …

Yes, Yvan brings new ideas, new support, new subjects, thank you Yvan for this !!!  Let us hope that he will continue to be supported, create new sparks, everywhere, new editors.  His first epoxy busts have spread in French contests since ten years, (please see his gallery on this site:  http://www.intflatfigures.org/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2805 )    and other artists exposing similar works like C. Cesario, JP Duthilleul, A. Retuerto, received awards as Masters , were appreciated by the public and are opening new avenues to our hobby for the XXIst Century !

Rejecting new ideas is a way to kill ourselves and be soon placed in museums, and forgotten by our own children as ‘vintage’.

I believe they have a place here, and it is our role internationally to welcome them and give them a chance to re-enforce the traditional 30 mm tin double side flat, like single large flats did the last 20 years to warranty their survival.

Michel
Michel
_______
Men are a bit like God: everything they can do, they do it. Or they will do it.  (Jean d'Ormesson)

böckchen

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
what does this have to do with flat figures? >:(
now have plates and vases with ornaments in this forum its authority?
 I would have to show a pair of stove tiles. ;)
It is a craft beautiful work, but in the wrong forum.
This is my opinion! :P
best regards
Wolfgang

Hannibal

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 03:31:59 PM »
Hi Glen,

If you like this flat and it is available at Montrouge, next show in Paris on April 6-7, I'll buy you one and ship it to the US on my return back to Belgium.  Leave me your home address by MP and I will do; if not available, I'll find a way with Historex present I guess at the show.

As far as anatomic details on the engraving, Yvan is more concerned with fantasy and abstractive design, than real human detailed representation.  However you can very easily paint these anatomic details in 'trompe-l'oeil' (optical illusion) as you would do on a canevas on solid flat surface, like cardboard, wood, or plastic card ... This is a freedom given to the painter.  They are not repreensted on Manga's, cartoons.

Th word 'dish' used by Michel is one of the literal French translation for 'flat' in a dictionary, here misselected. 

In French a "PLAT"  (the word used for a (rin ) flat) is also
  - a dish or a plate (like a pie dish = the physical support holding food
  - a dish, like a hot dish (the food), main dish, first dish
  - a flat horizontal surface (a flat roof, the flat of the hand)
  - a flat figurine (when made of tin = un plat d'étain)
  - to do a belly flop  (faire un plat)
Michel
_______

musfig

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
The manager at Historex is retiring at the end of the year. The information I got was that Historex would be taken back but not their range Nemrod which distributes among others these dishes of Yvan
So these are "flat" figurines and not round bump, so it joins the painting of paintings, to put what is called of the 3D on flat by the effect of the paintin

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
I've always liked these, but as Gerald pointed out, always difficult to find. It wasn't clear to me whether Yvan was ending the series or Historex was simply going to stop carrying them. There was also a hint that Historex itself was going away.

Yvan's pieces always had some minor, but fixable, anatomical issues in terms of proportion and scale. The new one for example lacks collar bones and the neck's sternocleidomastoid muscle in the neck. I would think these would be very visible, but I'm not sure if that's deliberate or an oversight. Easily added though... I've always liked that they were LARGE. They could even be airbrushed. I have a few unpainted pieces left.

A question: what word is being translated as 'dish'?

Raising a glass to Yvan...

Gerald

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »
Thank you  :)