Author Topic: Bloody Kiss - SBS  (Read 6744 times)

Joerg

Re: Bloody Kiss - SBS
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 03:45:01 AM »
Fine, fine ....

Joerg
Liquorice, sire, is not the least important of our benefits out of the dark heart of Arabia.

G.K.Chesterton

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
Part 10

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Well, it seems I'm done! At least for the time being. I reach a point where I don't know what else to do, then I set it aside for a week or so. Then I go back and look at it with a fresh set of eyes and start fixing all of the flaws. For now, I've added the last of the highlights on the skin tones and her outfit, tweaked some of the highs and lows on the crypt and the vines. I've added eyelashes with a sharp dark brown colored pencil. These aren't a series of individual lashes, but rather a series of short strokes - some heavier and darker than others - to give the impression of lashes. It seems to work for me...

Questions and comments welcomed; and channeling Carly Simon - I have no secrets.

Cheers,

Glen

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 05:13:22 AM »
That turned out well Glen, I've been following this with interest.  Keep em coming ;)

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Part 9

OK, it's been a long weekend of football and baseball. I'm exhausted. I have, however, been able to tweak the eyes and lips to a point where they're about 99% done. All that remains is to clean up the stray brush marks (you'd be surprised what a hi-res scan can reveal) and maybe add lashes. Not sure about the latter; she's smaller than the Steampunk Girl. There was also the issue of one eye being slightly larger and of a slightly different shape than the other. Not much; just enough to make a difference if you paint it as engraved. Painting them to match leaves some eye engraving inside the eye or out in the skin area where it can catch its own light and cast its own shadow. I think I've got it where I want it, so I'm not going to fiddle with the eye shape any further. I've also added a little blush to the cheeks, bumped the highlights on her skin tones, and painted the grass. The grass was the Amber Gold triad mixed with Cloudy Gray.

Enjoy.

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! I know people are looking at it, I'm just waiting for someone to point out a major goof - from three parts ago...!  :o

Glen

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Hi Glen,
I've been lurking but not commenting. You need no help form me. However, fine job.
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

Charles

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Hi Glen
you are right about the feedback, it can be a bit sparse, and I'm often guilty of that. But I'm checking progress every day, seeing how it develops etc so please keep going.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Thanks Brian/Ken! Not a lot of feedback, so there's still plenty of opportunity for me to screw this up...

More later.

Cheers,

Glen

mil-mart

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
Great progress Glen and especially nice work on the skin tones . Thanks for the mix.

Cheers Ken

Brian

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
This is coming together really well Glen, keep going ;)

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:45:54 PM »
Part 8

I've completed most of the tomb using Reaper's Stone Gray triad. A little Pure Black was used for the cracks and the seam separating the lid from the base. I'll add some dust, dirt, and water stains next; then paint the dead grass. After that, there's lining to do and the final shades and lights.

How's it look so far? Have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
Part 7

Some more progress! I've painted the hair using Reaper's Pure Black, the Cloudy Gray triad (a neutral gray), and Pure White. I based the highlights and shading on some web pics. I've also painted the base, shade, and lights on the vines and the dead leaves using the each of the Shield Brown triad and 1:1 mix with (just) Cloudy Gray for the vines and the Harvest Brown triad in a 1:1 mix with the Cloudy gray for the leaves. With both the hair and vines/leaves, the final lights and shades will be added after everything else is painted.

Color chart here: http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors

Questions and comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:10:37 AM »
Part 6

OK, more progress. I've painted her outfit the obligatory red using Reaper's Deep Red (DR), Blood Red (BR), Fire Red(FR) , and Phoenix Red (PR). The BR is the base, while BR mixed with DR was used for the first shade and BR with more DR was used for the second shade. Likewise, BR mixed with FR, then FR, then FR and PR, then PR was used for the progressive highlights. Final highlighting and lining edges happens near the end of the project.

The little white bits on the crypt are a pair of fixes. In my haste to start painting I forgot to knock down the vines that went behind her leg. They just sort of ended at her leg and stopped, leaving a cliff-like edge. I noticed it when I was painting the leg. I seriously need to use my checklists...

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:55:41 PM »
Part 5

I'm making some progress. I primed the piece with Floquil Model Railroad Gray Primer and allowed to cure for 24 hours.

Here is the base skin tone plus the first highlight and the first, second, and third shadow. The eyes and lips have been blocked in, but not detailed. All of the warpaint... I mean makeup ...will applied after the skin tones are finished. I'll be going with black hair with blue-gray to white highlights.

I'm using my standard female Caucasian skin tone mix of Reaper acrylics:

Base: Tanned Skin/Rosy Skin 1:1
Shade: Tanned Shadow/Rosy Shadow 1:1
Highlight: Tanned Highlight/Rosy Highlight 1:1
Shadow 2: Shade 1 + Burgundy Wine
Shadow 3: Shade 1 + More Burgundy Wine

In both cases, only a small amount of Burgundy Wine is added. I look for the first shade to go a bit darker and a bit grayer in each case. If the first shade goes purple, then I've added too much. It happens. Important tip: don't try to stifle a sneeze and dip your brush into paint at the same time.

I plan to start her outfit next.

Cheers,

Glen

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Part 4

Well after a day of overdosing on (US) football, I've completed the addition of the vines grown up around the crypt. They were made from Aves Apoxie Sculpt putty rolled out in long strings then mashed into place. I used a hobby knife to trim them and the knife and soft clay shapers to push the trunks and branches into a gnarly, twisted appearance. I put the piece under a 60 watt bulb for about 30 minutes to cure. The leaves were little balls of clay, mashed down, then trimmed to the shape of a generic leaf. These were also cured under the light bulb. I'm leaning heavily toward painting them dead with a few equally dead leaves still clinging to the branches.

Speaking of painting, I think there's a couple of ways to go... The first is to paint it the usual way. Nice fleshtones, makeup, bright red outfit, and gray stone. On the other hand, vampires are kinda dead. They don't take well to sunlight, so technically she should be hanging around outside at night. At best, the scene would be lit by moonlight will darken and gray out most of the color. Blah...

I think I'll go with full color.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Glen
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:46:12 AM by Glen »